RPNLex for HP71B
10-17-2018, 01:49 PM
RPNLex for HP71B
I remember asking about a program that converts the HP71B into an RPN calculator with functions similar to a voyager calculator.
I remeber being refered to RPNLex, but I didn't follow up on it, as I had no means of getting the program into the 71B. Now that I have a PILBox, that has changed.

But I can't find the thread anymore, maybe someone else knows how to find it?
Did I need additional RAM for the program to work?
Is there a scan of the overlay available anywhere?

Cheers,
Harald
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2018, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2018 07:56 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
RE: RPNLex for HP71B
RPNLEX can be found in the LIF disc image LEXFL1, here,
ftp://ftp.hpmuseum.org/hpswap/lexfl1.gz

RPN Calc is another RPN calculator that was available through EduCALC. The binary file, manual, and overlay are here,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vaseX6...0_1IuAw474

Note: The ZIP file contains a different RPNLEX for CALLing the binary program from BASIC.

Finally, there is a soft-FORTH Voyager simulator called C71. Info here,
http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/emu71/index.html#sforth

Dave
10-18-2018, 09:15 AM
(10-17-2018 03:21 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  RPNLEX can be found in the LIF disc image LEXFL1, here,
ftp://ftp.hpmuseum.org/hpswap/lexfl1.gz

RPN Calc is another RPN calculator that was available through EduCALC. The binary file, manual, and overlay are here,
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vaseX6...0_1IuAw474

Note: The ZIP file contains a different RPNLEX for CALLing the binary program from BASIC.

Finally, there is a soft-FORTH Voyager simulator called C71. Info here,
http://www.jeffcalc.hp41.eu/emu71/index.html#sforth

Dave
Thanks for the links Dave!

Getting the second program was easy. I copied RPN from the lif disk to the 71b and started it with "run rpn"

With the first one I am struggling though. I copied RPNLEX by typing "COPY RPNLEX: HP9114B". That does appear to work, but I don't know how to start the program. I also can't find any documentaton on it (such as how to start it or a keyboard layout...)

The third link, c71, seems to be closest to what I am looking for judging by overlay. But since I am new to this (I assembled my PILBox a couple of days ago) I don't have a cluo how to get the .bin file onto the HP71B.

Cheers,
Harald
10-18-2018, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2018 10:18 AM by J-F Garnier.)
(10-18-2018 09:15 AM)Harald Wrote:  The third link, c71, seems to be closest to what I am looking for judging by overlay. But since I am new to this (I assembled my PILBox a couple of days ago) I don't have a cluo how to get the .bin file onto the HP71B.

Unfortunately this is not easy. The C71 module is a 64K ROM, so you need either the rare FRAM71 module, or a (also rare) modified HHP 96k module to get a 64K RAM port to hold the C71 image, or a 64K EPROM CMT module (and asking a CMT programmer owner to program it for you :-) The last solution is probably the best, there are regularly some CMT 64k EPROM modules for sale on eBay.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
(10-18-2018 09:15 AM)Harald Wrote:  Getting the second program was easy. I copied RPN from the lif disk to the 71b and started it with "run rpn"

With the first one I am struggling though. I copied RPNLEX by typing "COPY RPNLEX: HP9114B". That does appear to work, but I don't know how to start the program. I also can't find any documentaton on it (such as how to start it or a keyboard layout...)

The third link, c71, seems to be closest to what I am looking for judging by overlay. But since I am new to this (I assembled my PILBox a couple of days ago) I don't have a cluo how to get the .bin file onto the HP71B.

The first one is the RPN calculator from John Baker (file size is 1038 bytes). There is only one keyword, "RPN" - so just type RPN [End Line] and it should start the calculator program. [f] [ON] exits back to BASIC.

For the 2nd one (started by RUN RPN) note that the program stores the X, Y, Z & T registers inside the .bin file, so while it does preserve the stack across different sessions, it also means that this RPNLEX file cannot be stored in EPROM (or FRAM configured as ROM/EPROM).

The 3rd one (C71) is indeed the most robust, but as JFG has noted, it's impossible to get working on a machine w/o the extra modules, however you can check it out using EMU71/DOS or EMU71/Win.

I'm looking into a possible source for having extra overlays made, but no progress so far. I'l be adding an extensive write-up on this 3rd one in the coming weeks.

--Bob Prosperi
10-18-2018, 06:19 PM
(10-18-2018 01:30 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The first one is the RPN calculator from John Baker (file size is 1038 bytes). There is only one keyword, "RPN" - so just type RPN [End Line] and it should start the calculator program. [f] [ON] exits back to BASIC.
I will give that another try.
Quote:The 3rd one (C71) is indeed the most robust, but as JFG has noted, it's impossible to get working on a machine w/o the extra modules, however you can check it out using EMU71/DOS or EMU71/Win.

I'm looking into a possible source for having extra overlays made, but no progress so far. I'l be adding an extensive write-up on this 3rd one in the coming weeks.

That sounds interesting, looking forward to that!

Cheers,
Harald

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)