Benchmarker for HP Prime
09-15-2018, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2018 12:21 PM by grsbanks.)
Benchmarker for HP Prime
There's been a lot of "How much faster than the Rev. C Prime is the G2?" so I decided to put together a kind of benchmarker that you can use to compare the two.

The benchmark in itself is probably of limited value in absolute terms but gives a good idea of the differences between different machines.

This is a "suite" of 3 tests built into the same app. The "Savage" benchmark gives an idea of the accuracy of the engine, the "Summation" test times how quickly the machine can chew through calculations involving transcendental functions and, finally, the "N Queens" test gives an idea of how well the machine deals with decision making and branching (no floating point is involved).

Download link: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/xferp...appdir.zip

As soon as you start the app you'll get a menu in which you can choose the number of iterations for the first two tests and the size of the board for the N-Queens test:

[Image: menu1.png][Image: menu2.png][Image: menu3.png]

Hit the [OK] soft key when you're done and let your Prime go away and crunch numbers for a while (you'll see the animated hourglass in the top-right corner of the screen). Quick tip: don't leave your Prime connected to your computer while doing this because the constant chatter over the USB link does slow the Prime down.

When it's finished running the tests, it'll spit out some statistics for you in the Terminal screen. The results I get below are firstly from one of my Rev. C Primes, then from my G2 Prime and finally from the Virtual Prime running on my Core i5 3GHz with 16GB DDR4 RAM.

[Image: revcresults.png][Image: g2results.png][Image: vpresults.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2018, 03:29 PM
RE: Benchmarker for HP Prime
Outstanding job !!
09-15-2018, 04:34 PM
I've just updated this with usage information in the App.Info.

The download link is still the same.
09-15-2018, 05:48 PM
nice!

Are the tests the following:
http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=bench...g_exp_root (sum of various functions)
http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=benchmarks:savage (similar sum but with inverse functions)
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...i?read=700 (n queen)

or some variation of those?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Thank you very much for the benchmark app, grsbanks!

On my 4 years old Nexus 6 (Android 7.1.1, Snapdragon 805 Quad-core 2.7 GHz, 3 GB RAM):

Prime, 15C CE
09-16-2018, 06:30 AM
(09-15-2018 05:48 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Are the tests the following:
or some variation of those?

Look at the App Info Smile
09-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Checked thanks. Not having the prime ready, I learned that the prime files can be opened with a normal text file without much problems.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
10-04-2018, 06:43 PM
nice.

just tried it in the MacOS virtual Prime (Beta).

Nqueens 10 crashes the virtual Prime; it's intermittent, doesn't happen every time.

oops Smile

Cambridge, UK
41CL/DM41X 12/15C/16C DM15/16 17B/II/II+ 28S 42S/DM42 32SII 48GX 50g 35s WP34S PrimeG2 WP43S/pilot
Casio, Rockwell 18R
10-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Checked on physical units rev C and D using the same parameters as the examples above

Rev. C:
Savage results:
iterations 24,8 s
summation: 27,7 s
queens all 724 solutions: 273,3 s

Rev. D:
Savage results:
iterations 8,4 s
summation: 9,11 s
queens all 724 solutions: 81,6 s

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)