Woodstock Low Power Connectivity Kit
07-01-2018, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 08:36 PM by PANAMATIK.)
Woodstock Low Power Connectivity Kit
Much time has passed since the "Woodstock Low Power" has become available. Many of you were waiting for the PC application for saving user programs and data and making firmware updates. Now this goal is nearly accomplished. I worked many hours and days for getting a simple but useful user interface:

"The Woodstock LP Connectivity Kit"

Here a first view:

[Image: uc?export=view&id=1iOaAd_fy18nbFk9aW5BgI98aACPhuA8J]

The "Woodstock LP Connectivity kit" is not only an application for a once in a lifetime firmware update, but organizes all your user programs. You can write programs with a text editor and download it to the LP calculator or reverse. You also can remote control the calculator. If you press a button on the PC screen it will be executed on the real calculator and vice versa, the real calculator display will be shown on the PC screen.

There is also an "In Circuit Emulator" for all calculators, including Woodstock, Spice and the Classics (except HP-65) . Here you can do research and try to understand how the calculator works and how it calcualates. The ingenious code of the HP engineers of the golden calculator era will be executed in real time or in single steps in the LP hardware.

During HP calculator code research the actual disassembled codes and also the RAM registers can be shown in separate Windows.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=1k28Fx5lz3Nn-BolodcpKdfKXCxq6bkDJ]

I hope the work will be finished in a few weeks. Writing the manual will now become the remaining main task.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2018, 07:18 PM
RE: Woodstock Low Power Connectivity Kit
Exciting news Bernhard, thanks for the preview.

The features for program import/export and f/w update (I've encountered no problems in months of use, though I still have not explored Spice models yet) were expected, but these other amazing features like remote execution, debug-level ACT register access and viewing live RAM contents are very interesting, and frankly, cool!

It was hard to imagine how the WLP could be made even better, but it seems you've found several ways to do. Looking forward to exploring this when it comes.

--Bob Prosperi
07-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Thank looks amazing Bernhard.

Pauli
07-02-2018, 02:21 AM
I have some HP-67 programs ready to upload. Can't wait!

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
07-02-2018, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 07:59 AM by PANAMATIK.)
(07-01-2018 07:18 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Exciting news Bernhard, thanks for the preview.

(I've encountered no problems in months of use, though I still have not explored Spice models yet) .....

The next LP version 1.05 will indeed correct one of the "Spice" models, in version 1.04 the HP-33E calculator accidentally used the unsuitable Woodstock display decoder (one bit was programmed wrong). Also the 20 physical constants were always read as 0.00, because I stored them at the wrong place in flash memory; handling of so many data causes more errors. Some minor bugs will also be corrected (as GPS speed was always shown in knots) All in all there is no urgent need for updates, but you know the saying "the better is the good enemy".

For the connectivity kit you have to install only a 3-pin headphone jack for communication.

Bernhard

07-02-2018, 06:02 AM
Hi Bernhard

Many thanks for the great news and your big effort in programming.
It looks amazing your software.

Patrik
07-02-2018, 08:05 AM
(07-02-2018 06:02 AM)CY-CL Wrote:  It looks amazing your software.

Patrik

Thanks. Yes, sometimes I think it is really amazing. If you change the calculator model by typing on the real calculator keys, the image on the screen automatically reflects the new calculator. It finally has become a real multi calculator circuit with virtual (instead of vinyl) overlays.

Bernhard

05-01-2019, 07:56 PM
The Woodstock Low Power Connectivity kit has finally become available.

This makes the "Woodstock Low Power" circuit now a complete product.

I needed much more time than estimated for implementing and testing all features and writing the manual. Mainly because I had a full time job during the last 6 month, not allowing me to work on this project until now. But also because implementing the parser for loading and restoring user programs from PC for all programmable calculators was a major task.

You can download the LP connectivity manual from my website.

Have fun while reading.

I will provide the PC application for download within the next days.

Bernhard

05-02-2019, 12:21 AM
Excellent news Bernhard, I have downloaded the manual and will check it out shortly.

Thanks so much for continuing to improve upon the amazing WLP system!

--Bob Prosperi
05-02-2019, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2019 01:46 PM by PANAMATIK.)
The HP25LP.exe PC application for LP connectivity Kit can be downloaded now. It includes also the first firmware update version 1.05 for the LP circuit.

If you are already owner of the "Woodstock Low Power" and build your own USB/RS232 converter cable, you can start right away.

Bernhard

05-02-2019, 06:55 PM
(05-02-2019 08:34 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The HP25LP.exe PC application for LP connectivity Kit can be downloaded now. It includes also the first firmware update version 1.05 for the LP circuit.

If you are already owner of the "Woodstock Low Power" and build your own USB/RS232 converter cable, you can start right away.

Bernhard

This is very unfortunate timing. We are about to move and the 25LP is in one of probably a few too many boxes labled "calculators". I will have to wait a couple of weeks....

Thank you for making this available!
05-02-2019, 07:12 PM
(05-02-2019 06:55 PM)Harald Wrote:  This is very unfortunate timing. We are about to move and the 25LP is in one of probably a few too many boxes labled "calculators". I will have to wait a couple of weeks....

Does this mean you have to throw away some boxes, because they are too many? Or are they just not accessible at the moment? Smile

Greetings to Wetter, I hope you will not move too far away.
Bernhard

05-03-2019, 08:35 AM
If you already downloaded the connectivity Kit HPLP.zip file, please download again. I discovered that the LP firmware 1.05 .act file was not correct.

Thanks to dreato for beta testing and finding this bug.

Bernhard

05-03-2019, 04:24 PM
(05-02-2019 07:12 PM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  
(05-02-2019 06:55 PM)Harald Wrote:  This is very unfortunate timing. We are about to move and the 25LP is in one of probably a few too many boxes labled "calculators". I will have to wait a couple of weeks....

Does this mean you have to throw away some boxes, because they are too many? Or are they just not accessible at the moment? Smile

Greetings to Wetter, I hope you will not move too far away.
Bernhard

It depends on who you ask Smile I would say I don't have to throw any of the boxes away... We have started packing and I don't know which box the 25lp is in.

We are moving within Wetter. I should really visit you once we have settled in. It you come and visit us.

Harald
05-12-2019, 10:04 PM
The LP Connectivity Kit goes unconnected!

For all of you, who are interested in knowing how the old Woodstock, Spice and Classic calculators worked, the LP Connectivity Kit has now an offline emulator implemented for all of these models. You don't need the LP hardware for emulating the calculators. Just select the desired model and step throug its code. Or if you are not an machine code expert, just do your calculations and write small programs.

The offline calculator list contains even more models than the LP circuit could handle.

Also the "LP Connectivity Kit" manual 1.02 is updated. The application is free and ready for download.

Have fun!

Bernhard

05-13-2019, 01:25 AM
Many thanks for the contributions Bernhard. Time for me to cross my fingers and open the case!

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
10-10-2019, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2019 01:57 PM by PANAMATIK.)
The "Woodstock Low Power" Connectivity Kit has got a major update to version 1.03!

It has now become also the ultimate HP red LED calculator Emulator. You don't need an HP-25LP calculator to explore and analyze HP calculators. You simply select one of 20 calculators from a list. It includes nearly all models of the red LED era, even the HP-19C printer calculator and the famous HP-01 calculator watch. For the first time you can debug comfortly the machine code of the HP-01.

Please download the LP connectivity manual. It contains also the the newest functions like comment entry, program flow, breakpoints, preferences and more.

Bernhard

10-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the update Bernhard, looking forward to checking it out.

Will a single ConnKit support both the WLP and also the new Spice LP (so I guess it's SLP) once those are available.

I look forward to seeing how to add an interface port to the Spice chassis; it's so tight, it will be a real challenge.

--Bob Prosperi
10-10-2019, 06:23 PM
(10-10-2019 06:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Thanks for the update Bernhard, looking forward to checking it out.

Will a single ConnKit support both the WLP and also the new Spice LP (so I guess it's SLP) once those are available.

I look forward to seeing how to add an interface port to the Spice chassis; it's so tight, it will be a real challenge.

I'm listening to your response when you checked it out. It is a real major update.

Yes, they are totally compatible, the ConnKit supports both the WLP and SLP (herewith I adopt the name). I think the USB converter and Micro USB connector could fit into the SPICE when the power supply is removed and the Micro USB is placed at the side. We will see.

10-10-2019, 06:29 PM
(10-10-2019 06:14 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I look forward to seeing how to add an interface port to the Spice chassis; it's so tight, it will be a real challenge.

I'd consider re-purposing the charger port opening. (If the Spice LP is as power efficient as the Woodstock LP, that won't be a much of a sacrifice.)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)