Prime Academy | Learning Center
05-13-2018, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2019 05:41 AM by lschroeder1947.)
Prime Academy | Learning Center
[New - Opening Page - 09/02/2019]
[Chrome browser bug HP Prime Academy Menus fixed - 09/19/2019]
[iTunes and Android Lite version of HP Prime App not available. Pro Version are available - 09/22/2019]

I have began adding to the site sections HP Prime YouTube videos on College Mathematics for the managerial, life, and social sciences. Currently, I have the College Finite Math course complete with 89 HP Prime YouTube Videos and shortly will begin on the College Applied Calculus course. Use the drop down Prime Academy Finite Math heading tab to go to specific Finite Math chapters and slide out to select a section from the chapter. Each section has 2 or more YouTube Videos on using the HP Prime Calculator on the section topic.

Finite Math is an area where the HP Prime shines. It is extremely useful for allowing the students to work dozens of homework problems instead of a few. College Mathematics is also where I annually taught multiple sections of courses in College Algebra, Finite Math, and Applied Calculus for 27 years using Computer Assisted Algebra Systems calculators. I also produced CD calculator tutorials for Cengage that came with 32 of their different College Math, Finite Math, and Applied Calculus textbooks as well as producing the Finite Math and Applied Calculus Tan textbook series of Cengage’s Webct and Blackboard course packs.

Initially, in response for assistance from our local alternate high school, I setup a website, Prime Academy | Learning Center, to help local students at the alternate high school with their self-directed online algebra and geometry course work. Alternate students were allowed to use administrated controlled, content restricted Chromebooks, as well as their phones.

The alternate school got good news! - Galesburg North was able to hire a full-time math teacher. I am a big advocate of technology in the classroom if it is used correctly. I am hoping the new teacher shares my view. I know from the many comments I receive from my former students that it made a difference in their life and their ability to reach their final career goals.

Look at this youtube video for details about adding CAS Vars to physical calculators. New G2 example shown but works for older calculators as well.

Combining cross platform HP Prime calculator apps and physical HP Prime calculator with cross platform delivery vehicle of Microsoft Onenote. Specifically Onenote's digital Ink (digital pen on virtual paper). Starting initial with Finite Math content. Take a look.

I am adding videos that I created to our site. Click on the above link and take a look! I used the HP Prime Emulator to demonstrate the calculator's interface and operation described on the Prime Academy | Learning Center's web pages. I prefer the direct link to youtube's embedded version. Google added some advertisements when you pause the embedded version. If you want to just look at one video try the video on this page.

I will keep working and adding to this site since I feel that this material can be a benefit to many students, teachers, and HP Prime users.

Feel free to use this site with any students or schools that would like to learn or gain proficiency with the HP Prime Calculator or HP Prime mobile apps. The best use of this site is a power user like yourself using the material found here to help a new user get started.

As an aide any students who use this site, we are including content pages for all the primary parts of our book HP Prime Guide Algebra Fundamentals in the Algebra tab. Currently we have four chapters shown. Use these to help with your initial familiarity of your HP Prime device.

Use this thread to post your reactions / contributions to the pages on Prime Academy | Learning Center.

Larry
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2018, 06:05 PM
RE: Prime Academy | Learning Center
Bravo! Looks like the makings of an excellent resource there. I got a bit confused when I looked at the Finite Math, and Calculus tabs and saw material on the TI-89, but re-reading your post, perhaps you have not yet gotten there to add in material associated with the Prime.

Wishing you the best with your effort!

smp
Find all posts by this user
05-13-2018, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2018 12:51 PM by lschroeder1947.)
(05-13-2018 06:05 PM)smp Wrote:  Bravo! Looks like the makings of an excellent resource there. I got a bit confused when I looked at the Finite Math, and Calculus tabs and saw material on the TI-89, but re-reading your post, perhaps you have not yet gotten there to add in material associated with the Prime.

Wishing you the best with your effort!

smp

Thanks

Sorry about the confusion. I like to show students how future courses will benefit from extending you current skills so I included some samples from Trigonometry, Finite Math, and Calculus based on my prior Ti-89 work. As I stated on the site, I do not see any problem with the Prime doing most if not all of my prior TI-89 work. I am working on material for additional volumes as well.

If you select a menu item for Finite Math > Lines > Finance > Dual or Calculus > Partial Derivatives, scrolling down from the TI-89 code you will see code for the Prime followed by screenshots for the HP Prime. The code is written so it can be used with the HP Prime Lite / Free application. The same is true for Trigonometry > Complex Numbers menu item.

Here is the sample screens collage shown near the bottom of Finite Math > Dual page.

[Image: simplex_dual.png]
05-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Kudos for the effort! I hope that it will grow over time (the more it grows, the more it will attract visitors).

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
05-14-2018, 05:21 AM
Hello,

Nice!

Cyrille

Although I work for the HP calculator group, the views and opinions I post here are my own. I do not speak for HP.
05-17-2018, 12:30 PM
I spent a long time browsing your site, I am very impressed and I surely will use it very often, for me and for my kids.
Thanks a lot!

I might just suggest you to add a reaction or contribution field in each of your pages: thus you'll receive suggestions, comments, other examples, screenshots, ... You could of course moderate these contributions to avoid pollution of the pages.

Once again: thanks, that's a big contribution for prime lovers and a huge help for students.
05-18-2018, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2018 03:21 PM by lschroeder1947.)
(05-17-2018 12:30 PM)pinkman Wrote:  I spent a long time browsing your site, I am very impressed and I surely will use it very often, for me and for my kids.
Thanks a lot!

I might just suggest you to add a reaction or contribution field in each of your pages: thus you'll receive suggestions, comments, other examples, screenshots, ... You could of course moderate these contributions to avoid pollution of the pages.

Once again: thanks, that's a big contribution for prime lovers and a huge help for students.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am glad the site can be of help to you and your students. That is what I was hoping for.

I am very busy with development of material for the site. I do appreciate other suggestions, comments, other examples, screenshots, ... but for now would appreciate users posting these in this thread. I know this cuts lots of Prime Academy users out but the maintenance of reaction / contributions fields would take away from the initial development time that I need. Posting in this thread would give users a change to participate and allow me to get feedback but keep my major focus on development at this time.

I have updated the About and Links pages in Prime Academy | Learning Center to link to this thread. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Larry
05-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is an alternate school as you use the term? I am well-acquainted with private schools, parochial school, charter schools, homeschooling, and other alternate (using the generic sense of the word) schools, but not as you are using the term. Is this terminology something specific to and widely understood within the state of Illinois?

Who are the typical students? How are their needs distinct from the general government school population? Who administers it? Who pays for it? Who are the teachers?

I'm greatly in favor of a whole palette of options for students and families. The business (and it's a huge business) that runs public education in the U.S.A., doesn't like to admit that students' needs are unique and not all at a common "average". Any mention of "school choice" threatens them greatly.

Good luck with the venture!
05-18-2018, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 08:21 AM by lschroeder1947.)
(05-18-2018 03:52 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, what is an alternate school as you use the term? I am well-acquainted with private schools, parochial school, charter schools, homeschooling, and other alternate (using the generic sense of the word) schools, but not as you are using the term. Is this terminology something specific to and widely understood within the state of Illinois?

Who are the typical students? How are their needs distinct from the general government school population? Who administers it? Who pays for it? Who are the teachers?

I'm greatly in favor of a whole palette of options for students and families. The business (and it's a huge business) that runs public education in the U.S.A., doesn't like to admit that students' needs are unique and not all at a common "average". Any mention of "school choice" threatens them greatly.

Good luck with the venture!

Thanks,

Here is an old local newspaper article but still applies. Here is there application form.

As the article points out North students are students who for various reasons were not successful at a traditional high school. I think you can find answers to your other questions in the article as well.

By the way, they have now been moved to a wing of the main high school with staff cuts. The move and staff cuts definitely set the program back. They are still working hard to help their students.

Larry
04-02-2019, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 03:11 AM by lschroeder1947.)
We are in the process of adding youtube videos that we created for the site. The videos contain a narrated description of the page and HP Prime Emulator being used to demonstrate the referenced material. The Academy menu, HP Prime are complete. The Info > Immediate Mode – CAS Vars has a video on to create new functions / operations using the command line. Be sure to scroll down so you can see all the functions / operations that we created.

These functions / operations allow us to expand the capabilities of the HP Prime, including the Lite / Free iOS, Android, windows apps. We have a video on the Finite Math > Lines page that gives us equations entering information such as two points. On the Trigonometric > Complex Numbers page we have a video on Polar to Rectangular and Rectangular to Polar functions.

We do not have videos on all the given functions / operations shown but they are comong.

Take a look! Prime Academy | Learning Center
04-15-2019, 12:23 PM
The Finite Math has a new fly out menu. The content is four youtube videos made with site webpages, Microsoft Onenote, and HP Prime emulator. Take a look.

The videos use the HP Prime Emulator with Microsoft Onenote Ink and Ink math assistant to aid in the understanding of the explanation of our submenu HP Prime example. Note the term Ink is where we use a digital pen on virtual paper.

We show how digital cross platform resources, HP Prime Calculator and apps with Onenote can be used to help learn and explain features of your HP Prime.
04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
(05-13-2018 05:51 PM)lschroeder1947 Wrote:  In response for assistance from our local alternate school, I have setup a website, Prime Academy | Learning Center, to help local students at the alternate high school with their self-directed online algebra and geometry course work. Alternate students are allowed to use administrated controlled, content restricted Chromebooks, as well as their phones.

[edit 04/15/2019 - Combining cross platform HP Prime calculator apps and physical HP Prime calculator with cross platform delivery vehicle of Microsoft Onenote. Specifically Onenote's digital Ink (digital pen on virtual paper). Starting initial with Finite Math content. Take a look.]

[edit 04/02/2019 - We are adding videos that we created to our site. Click on the above link and take a look! I used the HP Prime Emulator to demonstrate the calculator's interface and operation described on the Prime Academy | Learning Center's web pages. I prefer the direct link to youtube's embedded version. Google added some advertisements when you pause the embedded version. If you want to just look at one video try the video on this page].

[edit 02/25/2019 - Good news! - Galesburg North has been able to hire a full-time math teacher. Will be meeting with him shortly to get his views on technology in the classroom. I am a big advocate of technology in the classroom if it is used correctly. I know from 27 years of teaching math at the community college level that it made a difference in many of my students life.

Will keep working and adding to this site since I feel that this material can be a benefit to many students, teachers, and HP Prime users.]

The plan is to use individualized issued student Chromebooks to access the site and HP Prime Lite / Free mobile apps for the calculator. Then when needed students will add the HP Prime Pro mobile app for geometry.

The alternate high school was highly successful until administrated budget matters cut their staff and building. It is hoped that this site and HP Prime mobile apps can help their current remaining dedicated staff with the algebra and geometry curriculum in their new home in a wing of the traditional high school.

Feel free to use this site with any students or schools that would like to learn or gain proficiency with the HP Prime Calculator or HP Prime mobile apps. The best use of this site is a power user like yourself using the material found here to help a new user get started.

As an aide for the alternate school users and any students who use this site, we are including content pages for all the primary parts of our book HP Prime Guide Algebra Fundamentals in the Algebra tab. Currently we have four chapters complete, with the remaining three chapter sections being available as the final three book chapter sections are added to this site.

The Geometry material we are just starting to create.

At the present time we consider the site useful but a work in progress. Additional clarification, corrections, and revisions will be needed. See the attached Revision_19_02_25.pdf for latest changes and Algebra / Geometry additions.

Use this thread to post your reactions / contributions to the pages on Prime Academy | Learning Center.

Larry

This is wonderful. I am enjoying your videos, they are very clear and precise.

Eddie

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)