39gs why so cheap
04-21-2018, 06:14 PM
39gs why so cheap
I'm seeing quite a few New HP-39gs on sale for under 20 bucks on ebay. These are coming from China and sellers' are even offering free returns !!
My guess they are not legitimate !! Can somebody tell me if I am wrong.
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2018, 06:43 PM
RE: 39gs why so cheap
(04-21-2018 06:14 PM)Ask Mait Wrote:  I'm seeing quite a few New HP-39gs on sale for under 20 bucks on ebay. These are coming from China and sellers' are even offering free returns !!
Thanks

How suspicious. :)

No, they are legitimate. I bought a couple, received two boxes (not original packaging) with calculator and cable. Almost a month to have them delivered but, otherwise, a very good deal.

I immediatly NewRPLled one of them, so I could use it if I wish.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Massimo,
Much appreciated is your reply and thanks for the info. Can I ask if you receive the unique serial number sticker that we paste on the back and also if you were able to register it with HP website. Excuse me for my doubtful nature but if the product is genuine and new, why it doesn't come in sealed packaging.
My apologies and thank you once again.
04-21-2018, 07:42 PM
(04-21-2018 07:31 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  As mentioned in another recent thread, these calculators are likely genuine in the sense that they were manufactured by HP. Maybe it's excess inventory being sold off.

By the way, anybody who's enrolled in one of the TSA pre-screen programs should exercise caution when ordering possibly counterfeit goods: link

alright, I am buying ... will give it a try.
also I would like to see that thread.
Thank you very much
04-21-2018, 08:11 PM
(04-21-2018 06:14 PM)Ask Mait Wrote:  I'm seeing quite a few New HP-39gs on sale for under 20 bucks on ebay. These are coming from China and sellers' are even offering free returns !!
Thanks

I have ordered one in last year september and I have received it in november. The shipping was 2 months to Hungary.

The machine is perfect, without original box and without manual. The PC cable is included. The keys are perfect and the LCD is BLACK with great contrast. I can use it with my IR printer, so this is really a good business. That was with shipping 4700 HUF (approx 19 USD).

Buy one. Really good.

Csaba
04-21-2018, 09:35 PM
(04-21-2018 07:42 PM)Ask Mait Wrote:  also I would like to see that thread.

See here.

This discussion was buried inside another thread about clones and knock-offs (which these 39gs units from China are NOT). In China many school systems buy large qtys of machines in bulk, so these are possibly some from those sources. I have purchased more than 1 and they (the ones I got and likely the ones you can still buy) definitely are new and never-used. Some come with cables, others don't; the listing usually specifies if it's included.

--Bob Prosperi
04-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Massimo said
Quote:I immediatly NewRPLled one of them, so I could use it if I wish.

What? This is possible? I was curious about fiddling with NewRPL, but assumed that it was only for the 50g, 49g and the like which originally had RPL. I wasn't wild about the cost of another 50g to play with NewRPL, but for these prices, maybe the 39gs is the ticket.

The number part of the keyboard seems similar between 39gs and 50g, but isn't the upper layout so different that you need stickers over everything?

So how does it work after the NewRPL changeover? Good points? Bad points?

Thanks ,
burkhard
04-22-2018, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 09:31 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(04-22-2018 04:56 AM)burkhard Wrote:  Massimo said
Quote:I immediatly NewRPLled one of them, so I could use it if I wish.

What? This is possible? I was curious about fiddling with NewRPL, but assumed that it was only for the 50g, 49g and the like which originally had RPL. I wasn't wild about the cost of another 50g to play with NewRPL, but for these prices, maybe the 39gs is the ticket.

The number part of the keyboard seems similar between 39gs and 50g, but isn't the upper layout so different that you need stickers over everything?

So how does it work after the NewRPL changeover? Good points? Bad points?

Everything is working as expected; you nailed down the only bad point: keyboard assignments.
Claudio was thinking about compiling an ad-hoc version, but I think that this idea was discarded.

If anyone is interested in trying newRPL I believe that buying one of these 39gs is the most economical way.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-22-2018, 09:41 AM
(04-21-2018 06:43 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
Thanks

How suspicious. Smile

No, they are legitimate. I bought a couple, received two boxes (not original packaging) with calculator and cable. Almost a month to have them delivered but, otherwise, a very good deal.

I immediatly NewRPLled one of them, so I could use it if I wish.

That's exactly what I did. Bought one as a test and then two more. Took between a month and six weeks to get then delivered.
I bought them to put newRPL on as I wanted to keep my 49g+ and 50g original...

Cheers,
Harald
04-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Is it possible to flash a HP 40gs ROM onto the 39gs and get a working CAS?
04-22-2018, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 05:39 PM by ijabbott.)
(04-22-2018 10:43 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Is it possible to flash a HP 40gs ROM onto the 39gs and get a working CAS?

I think I just answered my own question by reading Mastering the hp 39gs & hp 40gs:

"Mastering the hp 39gs & hp 40gs" p. 8 Wrote:The previous models, the hp 39g & hp 40g shared a common chip and, although it was never intended to be possible, a hacker released a special aplet for the hp 39g which would ‘convert’ it into an hp 40g and activate the CAS. This is not the case with the hp 39gs & hp 40gs: the internal chips are different and there is no way to ‘convert’ one into the other using an aplet or program.
04-22-2018, 11:04 AM
I think they also have a different amount of flash memory.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-22-2018, 12:29 PM
(04-22-2018 09:30 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  If anyone is interested in trying newRPL I believe that buying one of these 39gs is the most economical way.

I am, that's why I got one of them today for less than a cheap bottle of scotch Smile

Shortcut to instructions how to flash it would be highly appreciated,

Cheers
04-22-2018, 12:51 PM
(04-22-2018 12:29 PM)RMollov Wrote:  
(04-22-2018 09:30 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  If anyone is interested in trying newRPL I believe that buying one of these 39gs is the most economical way.

I am, that's why I got one of them today for less than a cheap bottle of scotch Smile

Shortcut to instructions how to flash it would be highly appreciated,

Cheers

Start here and then download "Connectivity Kit for the 40gs, 39gs, 39G+" and usb drivers for your OS.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-22-2018, 01:11 PM
I just bough one too. For that price, there are no words. Does newRPL work on it, doesn't it ?
04-22-2018, 01:44 PM
(04-22-2018 12:51 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Start here and then download "Connectivity Kit for the 40gs, 39gs, 39G+" and usb drivers for your OS.
So I already did. Short instructions only target HP-50 with SD card (that I've already done with my old HP-49+) mentioning no other models. Except for USB driver, is there a need of some other comm software?

Cheers,
04-22-2018, 01:55 PM
(04-22-2018 01:44 PM)RMollov Wrote:  
(04-22-2018 12:51 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Start here and then download "Connectivity Kit for the 40gs, 39gs, 39G+" and usb drivers for your OS.
So I already did. Short instructions only target HP-50 with SD card (that I've already done with my old HP-49+) mentioning no other models. Except for USB driver, is there a need of some other comm software?

The answer is right there in the quote from Massimo that you included. '...download "Connectivity Kit for the 40gs, 39gs, 39G+" and usb drivers for your OS'.

Here is a link for conn3x : https://www.educalc.net/1047482.page

Drivers are here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel...or/1812520

--Bob Prosperi
04-22-2018, 02:03 PM
(04-22-2018 01:44 PM)RMollov Wrote:  

Cheers,

No, the ConnKit is all you need, have a look at this too.
Once the Connection Kit sees your calc you're done.

Greetings,
    Massimo

04-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Regards,
04-30-2018, 04:27 PM
I just received one today from a Chinese seller on eBay. It had a protective film on the back, but none on the display. There are a few light scratches on the display and the cover. The cover had some gunk on it that was easily removed with alcohol. There is no serial number on the back. The calculator does work though!

I wonder if the ones from AliExpress arrive in a better condition?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)