Tim Wessman Relocating Away from Fort Collins
07-20-2018, 06:03 AM
RE: Tim Wessman Relocating Away from Fort Collins
Been here about 2 or so. Liking things so far. Kids were excited/nervous to experience a Typhoon for the first time, but they turned out to be rather disappointed. Where we were at had almost no wind (due to some surrounding hills and buildings as we are in Neihu area north towards the mountains) and very little rain.

About the most interesting thing that happened was this: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3479740

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2018, 06:11 AM
Well, I am always pleased to have zero excitement whenever the big typhoons hit other parts of Japan and not our area. Direct hits are certainly no fun.

So you are working for a division of the HP calculator group in Taipei, is that right? If so, it sounds pretty nifty that they gave you an opportunity overseas, and especially nifty that your family happily agreed to go with you! :-) Americans can be rather resistant to living outside the 50 states.

Anyway, best wishes to you, Tim!
07-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the update, Tim!

That's an amazingly cool adventure that your kids will be talking about for decades. (Not that living next door to WWV wasn't cool enough already!)
04-18-2019, 06:58 PM
Almost a year. May I ask how is it Taiwan now that the place being "new" is faded a bit?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
04-19-2019, 01:52 AM
Still enjoying things. Plan so far is at least one more year which puts into May 2020. No clue about anything past that yet. Big Grin

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
04-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Sounds like an exciting and adventurous move.

I would be interested in a 15C le (box or not), 16c, & 50g. If there are any left. :-)
04-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Tim,
Wish you and your family a peaceful transition.
I had to retire early in 2004, just 55, due to this bloody RA I’ve suffered from since 1996. As a Pure Mathematician I worked (both as a Contractor and a permanent employee) in IT starting programming in 1979 on an HP-97, then in the vanguard of the PC Revolution in 81/82.
Where I worked initially had an ancient Sperry/Univac Mainframe (with people in white Lab coats) and an environment where not even the Managing Director’s pass got him into the Computer Room (Old School). This was a subsidiary of Rugby Portland Cement, the Mainframe was based in London but I worked in the Head Office based in Lichfield, Staffs.
Someone had bought a Commodore Pet (to use with VisiCalc) and 5 HP-97s to try and localise IT. I thought back then (and still do) that these HP-97s were awesome.
I was part of the PC Revolution from 1981-86 moving and re-writing of the Mainframe software, closing down the Mainframe in London for good. An Old School Finance Director arrived in 1985 who immediately shut down all the hard PC work and systems, replacing them with an IBM System 38.
This new guy was a total control freak - I detested him from the moment I saw and met him. I managed to get 14 years of redundancy before ‘leaving’. There was a good outcome though as I dipped my toe for 6 years into the highly paid Contract work of the late 80s - I literally was earning 5X more than when I was a permanent employee
I think there may still be 4 unused HP-97s sitting in a cupboard; I have tried to write to them and buy one but I get no reply - I understand he may have blacklisted me before he retired.

I joined HPCC 3 years ago so I’m very new - never managed to get to meet any of you guys due to the RA; neither have I managed to get to the London to sign an ancient Member’s Book after I was made an Ordinary Member for some work I submitted about ‘The Sound of Lithium’.

So I’ve been looking for an HP-97 for nearly 3 years. I did get one briefly but nobody could get it to power up. I sent it to Spain (guy called Ignacio Sánchez) but he couldn’t fix it either - so I donated it to The University of Valencia Nuseum.
So I still need to get a reasonable priced HP-97, HP-42S and an HP-35.
Thanks
Dennis

Denny Tuckerman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Taiwan is a small island in China. It is very fun. However, the speed of development in Taiwan is not as fast as that in mainland China. I hope that you can come to big cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Hangzhou.

study hard, improve every day
04-25-2019, 01:02 PM
(04-25-2019 12:17 PM)yangyongkang Wrote:  the speed of development in Taiwan is not as fast as that in mainland China

I bet. The mainland still has a lot of catching up to do. Big Grin
04-25-2019, 10:19 PM
(04-25-2019 12:17 PM)yangyongkang Wrote:  Taiwan is a small island in China. It is very fun. However, the speed of development in Taiwan is not as fast as that in mainland China. I hope that you can come to big cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Hangzhou.

Gene: Been to Shanghai as well as Shenzhen several times. Growing like crazy to be sure.
04-27-2019, 10:19 PM
(04-25-2019 12:17 PM)yangyongkang Wrote:  Taiwan is a small island in China. It is very fun. However, the speed of development in Taiwan is not as fast as that in mainland China. I hope that you can come to big cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Hangzhou.

Taiwan is an independent country. It is also a top notch producer of many things. Well developed and anyone who wants a pleasant time there have lots of things to explore. Like gorgeous blue Sun Moon lake, Taroko Gorge or Green Island which is a beauty of its own and a very relaxing place. Green Island is in fact a small island outside Taiwan with rare salt water hot springs.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)