Deleted thread?
03-31-2014, 05:44 PM
RE: Deleted thread?
Thanks for solving the problem (though not the consequences). Better late than never. Anyway, IMHO the overall results are quite interesting.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
(03-31-2014 05:21 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  I, and I suspect many other users, are/were unaware of the effect of deleting the top parent thread.
It shouldn't work this way. Maybe Dave can do something about it?
03-31-2014, 07:12 PM
The beginning of the thread can still be found in Google's cache.
03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
(03-31-2014 07:12 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  The beginning of the thread can still be found in Google's cache.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1011.html

There is the relevant post of mine, and two responses that I was able to (mostly) recover with some help.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-31-2014, 07:23 PM
(03-31-2014 08:27 AM)jebem Wrote:  So I believe it was a "act of God"...

Nope, was an act of Sikuq.

Smile

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-31-2014, 07:27 PM
Quote:Hmm, me either. In fact, I am not seeing moderator type options anywhere.

There's something funky going on in MyBB that lists certain people as moderators who apparently are not. I have a feeling that when you delete a thread because you're the first poster the MyBB software temporarily promotes you to moderator status and adds you to the list of moderators. However it doens't seem to give you moderator permissions, actually. TW has deleted at least one thread and therefore shows as a moderator, but so do several other users.

Dave, are you reading this?

-katie

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
The only people who are listed as deleting threads in the last few days are: Sikuq, Tim Wessman and BarryMead. No actual moderators have deleted any threads that I can see. Last time I can spot myself deleting anything was in January.

I'm not sure where the list of moderators is that Tim is on. I haven't found it anyway.

Oh maybe you mean these people are in the moderator log? If it's only that, that shows all post/thread deletions, but deletions by "normal" accounts shouldn't be shown in bold/purple mod fonts.
03-31-2014, 10:12 PM
(03-31-2014 07:23 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(03-31-2014 08:27 AM)jebem Wrote:  So I believe it was a "act of God"...

Nope, was an act of Sikuq.

Smile
May be Sikuq is God?
03-31-2014, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 10:14 PM by Dave Hicks.)
Ah there it is...

In most of the forums, I set it up so that users can't delete the threads they started. (There's actually a complaint or two about not being able to delete threads in the test forum but I thought it would prevent confusion and accusations of over-zealous moderators. Wink)

But I did allow users to delete threads in a few places where I thought it made sense: the classifieds, since they're inherently ephemeral and the software libraries since most of those threads would consist largely of the first post/first poster.

But I accidentally set "Not quite HP Calculators - but related" to allow the original poster to delete his own threads too. But not anymore.
03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Mystery solved then! Smile

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
03-31-2014, 10:47 PM
(03-31-2014 10:12 PM)Tugdual Wrote:  
(03-31-2014 07:23 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Nope, was an act of Sikuq.

Smile
May be Sikuq is God?

hehe...very good!
Or maybe the Museum has got an Olympus where Sikuq, Tim, and BarryMead did exercise the right to delete staff from the mortals posting here, as reported by the Super God Dave... just kidding!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

03-31-2014, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 11:17 PM by Steve Simpkin.)
(03-31-2014 11:08 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  What surprised me though was how such a competent group allowed their emotions to take over the minute they were faced with a new collectively unknown problem. I just looked back over the "hysteria" where everybody starts pointing fingers at each other, then at themselves, then it went on to hit poor Walter, and two super moderators start bickering amongst themselves. It was hilarious.

This event is actually a golden study in emotional behavior and it shows how even super smart and super educated people can succumb to being human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster...ple_Street

There is a Twilight Zone episode for all occasionsSmile
03-31-2014, 11:36 PM
(03-31-2014 11:08 PM)Sikuq Wrote:  I just looked back over the "hysteria" where everybody starts pointing fingers at each other, then at themselves, then it went on to hit poor Walter, and two super moderators start bickering amongst themselves. It was hilarious.

Hi Sikruq, greetings from Lisbon, Portugal!
The above "ad hoc" proceedings are sometimes designated as "differential diagnosis" where we eliminate possible guilty guys by pressing them to confess the crime Smile

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-01-2014, 02:16 AM
(03-31-2014 09:43 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  Oh maybe you mean these people are in the moderator log? If it's only that, that shows all post/thread deletions, but deletions by "normal" accounts shouldn't be shown in bold/purple mod fonts.

That's the right area. If you look at the bottom of the moderator log you'll see the filter section. In that section there's a pull down list titled "From Moderator:". That should just be a list of actual moderators but it seems to be populated with anyone that's ever deleted anything. Is the title wrong or the list wrong?

-katie

04-01-2014, 04:42 AM
Oh I didn't notice that. Yes that's a very misleading field name. That whole log is more of a "things of interest to moderators" log rather than only things that moderators have done. The "Forum Team" link at the bottom of the main page provides an accurate list of moderators.

The only moderators are you, Den and me. I don't think I would ever add another moderator without discussing it with you and Den first.

And while I'm sure Tim would make a fine moderator if he wanted to be one, it would probably lead to more conspiracy theories. Wink
04-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Actually, I miss a step 0 in your list:

(0) executed by the one who caused the problem, frankly admitting: "S..., I made an error!"

Proper execution of step 0 would have saved us all that hassle. You must have seen it in the very moment you did it. Maybe next time ...?

d;-)
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Good Morning, Sikuq,
I hope I didn't misspelled your name this time.
Thank You and others for posting here, I've learned a lot from you.
Cheers,
Jose

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Tugdual,

I wanted to respond by PM but it isn't allowed Undecided

d:-?
04-01-2014, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 11:20 AM by Manolo Sobrino.)
I'm glad everything has been sorted out, thank you Dave. May I suggest that as the "test forum" does pretty well as "forum's forum", could its name reflect that too?

Thank you Tim, for taking the trouble of reposting the notorious thread, I really appreciate that.

Sikuq,

What can I say... It was good from you letting us know what you did. Nothing wrong with it, of course. It was a matter of the forum settings, but as everyone assumed you couldn't possibly do that it was odd.

The first thing that came to my mind was that you had deleted your first post, but as in this test forum has been discussed, that wouldn't mean that the whole thread would be removed. There were two options left, either it was a glitch or the thread was deleted, purposely or not, by a moderator. As this forum is characterised by its technical competence everybody toyed with the idea that the second option wasn't unlikely. Which I consider a quite rational, if not self-confident approach Big Grin. No need for emotional counseling Wink.
04-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Sikuq was well prepared for fools day ;-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)