HP Forums
Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var (/thread-9993.html)

Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 01-21-2018 07:45 PM

Know someone how, for the Solve App, to select programmatically the independent plot variable? Like command <SetIndep> for the Statistics_2Var App.

Help for the Plot part for the Solve App shows;
“The variable that is highlighted in the Numeric View is taken as the independent variable for graphing purposes.”

I think it must be possible to do this also programmatically, but I don’t know how!!
If it is not possible, maybe HP can implement this.

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 01-25-2018 12:09 PM

Nobody answered me, so my question will not be clear.
I made a copy of the Solve App and renamed it to OpAmp.
This new App has 4 formulas and 11 variables. The order of the variables in the standard Numeric View depends on the order of the variables in the selected formula. This can be confusing, the order of the variables in the standard Numeric View is no longer logical. That is why I made in the Solve App a program with the Input command (fixed variable positions) in a while loop (runs while input returns “1”) including selection boxes for Solve commands, etc. This works very well.
In the Solve App program, I want to overwrite the numeric view with a call to this program. The problem now is that I can no longer select the independent variable, this only possible in the standard Numeric View. There should then be a command to programmatically set it.

Tim or Cyrille, is there a possibility to programmatically select the independent variable? If not, the standard Numeric View can not be replaced!

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 01-29-2018 12:00 PM

The following is positive!
This is my last attempt to get an answer. Tim or Cyrille have you read and understood my positively asked question about selecting the independent plot variable? It is difficult for me to explain it because English is not my normal spoken language.
Again, positively meant!

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Joe Horn - 01-29-2018 02:43 PM

Dirk -- Please be reassured that your question is neither unclear nor has it gone unnoticed. Many of us are eagerly following this thread, hoping that somebody who knows the answer will share it with us.

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - DrD - 01-29-2018 03:54 PM

Hello Dirk,

I feel the same way as Joe just described. I would probably write my own program, rather than use an existing app that doesn't quite meet my needs. However, your question was how to make the existing app meet your needs.

So I am monitoring for responses, as well.

-Dale-

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 01-29-2018 04:38 PM

Thank you very much Joe and Dale for your answers.
Sometimes you doubt whether you have asked a question correctly!

My new App with it by my newly written Num View program is a copy of the Solve App. Everything works perfectly, I have placed the call of the new Num View under “View” so that I can select the independent variable at the “standard” Num.
You realize that I (we?) would like to have a possibility to set the independent plot variable programmatically.

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 02-03-2018 04:25 PM

Hello Tim or Cyrille, why is it so difficult for you to answer my question.
1- Have you not understood my question? Maybe I should ask the question in a different way.
2- Does this have anything to do with HP legal aspects?
3- It is not so nice to be ignored in this way, while you answer other forum members!

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - math7 - 02-04-2018 06:17 AM

Hi, I understood your point ... but why do you want to do this as well? It seems to me that in the current form as it is, in the numerical view you can choose the independent variable just by quickly positioning on it, and if you want to modify it and see how the relation between the variables changes, it is positioned on another variable quickly in the numerical view and ready. While if done with some command or function would be somewhat more rigid according to my understanding.

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Tim Wessman - 02-04-2018 06:53 AM

Generally, there are two reasons why we don't respond to something. Sometimes a third. Very rarely stuff like you cited.

1. We didn't see it.
2. We are thinking about it or discussing it and it is actually pretty hard to do and we are not certain if it is possible. Hence we don't respond because we don't know what to say particularly.
3. We plan to, but kind of forget.

This fell into a number 2. In order to do this, and ugly hack could be put in place specifically and only for the solve app. For it not to be a hack, we'd need to build in new capability into the dialog boxes to allow them to be modified from outside, and then load in specific configurations. The first is not a good solution and more trouble then it is worth. The second is tricky, will take a ton of work, and I don't think we'll get much benefit out of it at this time. Possibly in the future, but it would have to be part of a larger rework and feature that we'd want to get.

RE: Solve App selecting Independent Plot Var - Dirk.nl - 02-04-2018 10:00 AM

Okay Tim,
Thank you very much for your answer! I have understood your story, indeed it would be a waste of time and money. Who knows maybe in the future.

Math 7,
If you've read my other posts you understand why it may be convenient to replace the numeric view through a program with the input command in order to get the variables on fixed logical positions on the screen. The possibility is there to do so, why not? Programming fun? Learning more about your calculator?