HP Forums
[Survey] HP users around the world - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: [Survey] HP users around the world (/thread-9913.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

[Survey] HP users around the world - TheKaneB - 01-12-2018 11:30 AM

Hi everyone!

Every time I look for HP related videos on youtube I mostly find spanish speaking users. Luckily I can understand quite a bit of spanish, so I can watch them, but strangely enough it looks like that the content in spanish language is much more abundant than that in english (maybe because in english speaking countries they use different calculator brands in the schools and so the HP user base is smaller?)

Anyway, I just wanted to do a small survey to research, in a totally non scientific way, the average geographic distribution of HP calculators users around the world and the languages spoken / understood.

I will periodically update this post with the aggregated answers to get a rough idea of the forum's users distribution around the globe.

Side note: of course, the english language here will be over-represented, so the stats are completely skewed BUT the geographic distribution might be surprising nonetheless.

---- Myself

Languages spoken: Italian, English
Basic understanding of (enough to watch videos and read articles and understand the majority of the content): Spanish, Portuguese

---- Stats below

Countries
13 x USA
6 x France
6 x Germany
4 x Italy
2 x Brazil
2 x Canada
2 x Spain
2 x UK
1 x Argentina
1 x Australia
1 x Belgium
1 x Chile
1 x Nederlands
1 x Norway
1 x Portugal
1 x Thailand

Fluent in the following languages
42 x English
14 x French
11 x German
9 x Italian
6 x Spanish
4 x Portuguese
3 x Dutch
1 x Norwegian
1 x Polish
1 x Thai

Basic understanding
18 x Spanish
11 x German
11 x French
6 x Italian
5 x Portuguese
3 x Dutch
3 x English
3 x Russian
2 x Norwegian
1 x Czech
1 x Faroese
1 x Icelandic
1 x Japanese
1 x Latvian
1 x Polish

Updated up to post #84

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-12-2018 11:39 AM

Languages spoken: German, English, Italian, French
Basic understanding of (enough to read newspaper headlines and talk to aircraft refuelers): Spanish

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - salvomic - 01-12-2018 11:52 AM

Languages spoken: Italian, English, French
Basic understanding of (enough to watch videos and read articles and understand the majority of the content): Spanish, Portuguese, Russian

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Sylvain Cote - 01-12-2018 11:53 AM

Languages spoken (used): French (99%), English (1%)

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Dave Britten - 01-12-2018 12:19 PM

USA
Fluent: English
Basic: Japanese (just enough to play video games and watch some light TV)

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - ggauny@live.fr - 01-12-2018 12:41 PM

Hi,

Languages spoken: Italian(little bit), English(little bit),Polish(good), French (of course).
Basic understanding of (enough to watch videos and read articles and understand the majority of the content): english, spanich.

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - pier4r - 01-12-2018 12:52 PM

this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9579.html was also a survey. I am not aware of previous surveys. If there were some in the past, please link them. It is nice to (re)read them again from time to time.

Anyway.

Origin: Italy
Place of residence: Germany

Languages:
Italian ok,
English almost ok, I should improve it.
German: I can write and speak it, but it needs most of my focus.

Also: German or else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlzkAyQWNo

I experienced that I can get the meaning of simple discussions in Spanish or French but I cannot reply in any of those two languages.

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Thomas Okken - 01-12-2018 12:54 PM

Languages spoken: Dutch, German, English
Basic understanding of (enough to watch videos and read articles and understand the majority of the content): French

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Gamo - 01-12-2018 01:17 PM

Originally: USA
Languages spoken: English, Thai

Read articles only in English and watch video clip only in English.

Gamo

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - TheKaneB - 01-12-2018 02:31 PM

(01-12-2018 12:52 PM)pier4r Wrote:  this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9579.html was also a survey. I am not aware of previous surveys. If there were some in the past, please link them. It is nice to (re)read them again from time to time.

Thank you for the link, I wasn't aware of that thread, I did a couple of searches before starting this one, but apparently I queried for the wrong keywords. Anyway, this one adds the languages and is more specific about the country, so I think it's fair to keep it Smile

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-12-2018 02:44 PM

(01-12-2018 12:52 PM)pier4r Wrote:  this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9579.html was also a survey. I am not aware of previous surveys. If there were some in the past, please link them. It is nice to (re)read them again from time to time.

Since you asked for it...
The way we were ten years ago, more or less.

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - rprosperi - 01-12-2018 02:45 PM

Languages spoken: English, RPN, RPL
Able to grasp limited content: French

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - pier4r - 01-12-2018 02:57 PM

(01-12-2018 02:44 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Since you asked for it...
Great!

As I expected it is a nice read and when such surveys are some years apart one can see how the community changed or people changed (ex: Thomas was in the Netherlands in 2007). Also Valentin is from Spain? I would have bet was from the US. GLORIOUS YUROP.

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-12-2018 03:21 PM

(01-12-2018 02:57 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 02:44 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Since you asked for it...
Great!

As I expected it is a nice read and when such surveys are some years apart one can see how the community changed or people changed (ex: Thomas was in the Netherlands in 2007). Also Valentin is from Spain? I would have bet was from the US. GLORIOUS YUROP.

From Thomas' mouth (well, keyboard...) "currently living in Xxxxx xxxxxxxxx, New Xxxx, USA". And Valentin has always been a Spaniard! ;)

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Thomas Okken - 01-12-2018 04:37 PM

(01-12-2018 02:57 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Thomas was in the Netherlands in 2007

I moved to the United States (for the second time!) in 2006.

I don't advertise my location any more because with an uncommon name like mine, I felt I was just painting too big a target on my back for identity theft. But telling people in which country I live seems okay. Smile

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - wawa - 01-12-2018 06:46 PM

Languages : French of course ... and english

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-12-2018 07:07 PM

(01-12-2018 04:37 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 02:57 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Thomas was in the Netherlands in 2007

I moved to the United States (for the second time!) in 2006.

I don't advertise my location any more because with an uncommon name like mine, I felt I was just painting too big a target on my back for identity theft. But telling people in which country I live seems okay. Smile

Sorry Thomas, I edited my post. Now one has to hunt for the original thread.

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Garth Wilson - 01-12-2018 07:41 PM

Southern California, USA
1st language: Enlish
2nd language: Spanish (I actually learned to read and write in Spanish first, since I grew up in Argentina because of my dad's work.)
3rd language: French

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - DA74254 - 01-12-2018 08:01 PM

Origin: Norway. Thus read and converse with Swedes, Danes and Norwegians.
Fluent in English (15+ years working with Britons and Americans)
Basic knowledge of Icelandic, Faroese, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Polish, Russian and Latvian (Live in Latvia, married to Russian wife, still struggling with learning those languages fully).
By "basic knowledge" I mean that I can sort of read and draw the clues out of the context and not listen to or form sentences (exept Russian, German and Spanish where I'm a bit more confident).

RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-12-2018 08:13 PM

(01-12-2018 04:37 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  I don't advertise my location any more because with an uncommon name like mine, I felt I was just painting too big a target on my back for identity theft. But telling people in which country I live seems okay. Smile

Second edit (as per your suggestion)...
But private messaging disabled? Why?