HP Forums
newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299] (/thread-9700.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - pier4r - 06-30-2018 11:19 AM

Dropping an idea for the distant future.

new RPL console interface (of course only for batch processing, given a written input) for headless systems (ex: virtual private servers).

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 07-02-2018 02:01 PM

(06-30-2018 11:19 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Dropping an idea for the distant future.

new RPL console interface (of course only for batch processing, given a written input) for headless systems (ex: virtual private servers).

Distant past you mean?
The very first interface newRPL had was a simple console interface (back in 2014). When the firmware for the calculator was developed, we finally moved on to a simulator that could show the actual screen more faithfully.
The standalone RPL compiler that we now use as part of the build process is actually a stripped down version of that original console application, in which the interaction with the user was removed, and it merely compiles and saves a program (but the newRPL core is complete, would be trivial to EVAL the compiled program rather than save it). The standalone compiler has all RPL code removed from the core (to avoid a chicken-egg problem: you would need an RPL compiler to compile the RPL compiler), but that's easily changed with a compiler flag.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - pier4r - 07-02-2018 03:45 PM

Ok, so it would be possible somewhen to have a terminal only application?

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Neve - 07-14-2018 05:21 PM

I definitely have not read everything there is on this forum or elsewhere regarding newRPL. And I didn’t find the 2 main things I was looking for. Sorry about that.

1- I’m looking for a more complete manual for newRPL. The one on Wiki is missing quite a few pages. No offense intended, it’s just an observation.
2- How do I connect the newRPL 50g to a 50g Mac emulator, which I can’t find either.
All I could find was Emu48 for MacOS which I haven’t installed yet.
Is this the one I even need to interface the newRPL 50g to the Mac?

Thank for your answers.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 07-14-2018 06:56 PM

(07-14-2018 05:21 PM)Neve Wrote:  I definitely have not read everything there is on this forum or elsewhere regarding newRPL. And I didn’t find the 2 main things I was looking for. Sorry about that.

1- I’m looking for a more complete manual for newRPL. The one on Wiki is missing quite a few pages. No offense intended, it’s just an observation.

No offense taken, your observation is accurate: the wiki just started, it has some basic things but it's no AUR yet.
I'm interested to know exactly what topics you were looking for that are missing, I'll take notes to make sure the information gets added eventually.

(07-14-2018 05:21 PM)Neve Wrote:  2- How do I connect the newRPL 50g to a 50g Mac emulator, which I can’t find either.
All I could find was Emu48 for MacOS which I haven’t installed yet.
Is this the one I even need to interface the newRPL 50g to the Mac?

No, Emu48 won't talk to newRPL. newRPL communicates with newRPL Desktop.
You need to build it from sources on your Mac. I don't have a Mac so I can't help much, but I imagine it shouldn't be too far from the instructions for FreeBSD.
If you can install Qt Creator on your Mac, you should be able to build newRPL without much trouble.
As far as the USB connection, I'm not sure what steps are needed to give a program access to the USB port on a Mac (perhaps it works out of the box like in Windows?).

My suggestion (cumbersome, but should work) would be to install VirtualBox on your Mac, then build newRPL Desktop on an Ubuntu VM. Alternatively, use a Windows VM and the prebuilt newRPL demo that's published. On VirtualBox is easy to "send" your USB device directly to the VM, I have tested it and works like a charm.
It's not the ideal solution, but will get the job done.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Neve - 07-14-2018 09:30 PM

(07-14-2018 06:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  No offense taken, your observation is accurate: the wiki just started, it has some basic things but it's no AUR yet.
I'm interested to know exactly what topics you were looking for that are missing, I'll take notes to make sure the information gets added eventually.

First off, thank you for your answer.
I’m looking mainly for user settings. And the flags I’m used to in the “official” OS.
Like the font sizes and the stack line numbers I don’t see anymore when not punching digits for example. Or displaying the date and time with seconds.

(07-14-2018 06:56 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  No, Emu48 won't talk to newRPL. newRPL communicates with newRPL Desktop.
You need to build it from sources on your Mac. I don't have a Mac so I can't help much, but I imagine it shouldn't be too far from the instructions for FreeBSD.
If you can install Qt Creator on your Mac, you should be able to build newRPL without much trouble.
As far as the USB connection, I'm not sure what steps are needed to give a program access to the USB port on a Mac (perhaps it works out of the box like in Windows?).

My suggestion (cumbersome, but should work) would be to install VirtualBox on your Mac, then build newRPL Desktop on an Ubuntu VM. Alternatively, use a Windows VM and the prebuilt newRPL demo that's published. On VirtualBox is easy to "send" your USB device directly to the VM, I have tested it and works like a charm.
It's not the ideal solution, but will get the job done.

I have Parallels Desktop on my Mac running Win X. Maybe that’ll work... Very cumbersome, but I’ll give it a try. I admit I’d rather have a native macOS app. I’ll try Qt Creator as well if I find it.
I’ll let you know.

Thanks again.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 07-15-2018 03:03 AM

(07-14-2018 09:30 PM)Neve Wrote:  I’m looking mainly for user settings. And the flags I’m used to in the “official” OS.
Like the font sizes and the stack line numbers I don’t see anymore when not punching digits for example. Or displaying the date and time with seconds.

Most of the flags were eliminated. The ones that still exist can be configured from the menu System/Settings/Flags (pressing keys P,E,A,A in sequence will take you there)
Fonts are no longer controlled by flags. The possible configurations are explained in this post. It's much more flexible than it was, as you can choose from various different fonts, and you can combine different font sizes for different areas of the screen.
The stack line numbers are visible when there's things on the stack. Empty lines don't display the numbers anymore (this was a suggestion to keep the screen clean by another forum member). It can't be controlled from a flag either, only used stack slots display their number.
Finally, there's no option to display the clock (yet).

(07-14-2018 09:30 PM)Neve Wrote:  I have Parallels Desktop on my Mac running Win X. Maybe that’ll work... Very cumbersome, but I’ll give it a try. I admit I’d rather have a native macOS app. I’ll try Qt Creator as well if I find it.
I’ll let you know.

Thanks again.

I'm not familiar with Parallels, you should investigate if it has a USB pass-through option somewhere.
I found good news at this link. Not sure if it applies to your particular version, but should be easy for you.
As long as you can let a VM see the physical USB device, newRPL Desktop will see your calc and transfer data.

If you try compiling yourself for Mac, please take notes and share here, I'd like to write instructions in the wiki for other Mac users in the same situation.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Neve - 07-15-2018 05:41 AM

(07-15-2018 03:03 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Most of the flags were eliminated. The ones that still exist can be configured from the menu System/Settings/Flags (pressing keys P,E,A,A in sequence will take you there)
Fonts are no longer controlled by flags. The possible configurations are explained in this post. It's much more flexible than it was, as you can choose from various different fonts, and you can combine different font sizes for different areas of the screen.
The stack line numbers are visible when there's things on the stack. Empty lines don't display the numbers anymore (this was a suggestion to keep the screen clean by another forum member). It can't be controlled from a flag either, only used stack slots display their number.

I get it.

(07-15-2018 03:03 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Finally, there's no option to display the clock (yet).

With seconds would be nice ;-)
Also, the TIME function with running seconds (like on a 41) would be nice. ;-)

(07-15-2018 03:03 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I'm not familiar with Parallels, you should investigate if it has a USB pass-through option somewhere.
I found good news at this link. Not sure if it applies to your particular version, but should be easy for you.
As long as you can let a VM see the physical USB device, newRPL Desktop will see your calc and transfer data.

I’m quite familiar with it. Yes, the VM can see all USB devices.

(07-15-2018 03:03 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  If you try compiling yourself for Mac, please take notes and share here, I'd like to write instructions in the wiki for other Mac users in the same situation.
Will definitely do if and when I succeed. But where can I get the .tgz files ready to compile?
Maybe I missed something, but I can’t find them.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - ijabbott - 07-15-2018 09:47 AM

(07-15-2018 05:41 AM)Neve Wrote:  
(07-15-2018 03:03 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  If you try compiling yourself for Mac, please take notes and share here, I'd like to write instructions in the wiki for other Mac users in the same situation.
Will definitely do if and when I succeed. But where can I get the .tgz files ready to compile?

The git repository is on sourceforge and has a web interface. You can download a snapshot as a .zip file from there, or better yet, clone the repo.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 07-15-2018 06:00 PM

(07-15-2018 09:47 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(07-15-2018 05:41 AM)Neve Wrote:  Will definitely do if and when I succeed. But where can I get the .tgz files ready to compile?

The git repository is on sourceforge and has a web interface. You can download a snapshot as a .zip file from there, or better yet, clone the repo.

My suggestion: forget about snapshots. Clone the repository in a folder, then whenever you want to upgrade to a new version, just pull, rebuild and you'll have the latest ROM.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Neve - 07-15-2018 06:05 PM

(07-15-2018 06:00 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(07-15-2018 09:47 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  The git repository is on sourceforge and has a web interface. You can download a snapshot as a .zip file from there, or better yet, clone the repo.

My suggestion: forget about snapshots. Clone the repository in a folder, then whenever you want to upgrade to a new version, just pull, rebuild and you'll have the latest ROM.

I’m not a dev, but I’ll try that. The last thing I coded or even compiled was like 20 years ago... ;-)

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1087] - Claudio L. - 07-27-2018 04:36 PM

All 3 roms were updated to build 1088 (see first post this thread).

Auto-evaluating variables are ready for testing (use is as described few posts above, will probably write up something better soon in the wiki).
Also ready for testing is a simple numeric integration command NUMINT. It uses the new "user-function evaluator" core, which takes a user function in 2 forms:

* As a program

The evaluation (used internally, perhaps in the future I'll add a command for the user to be able to evaluate a function using a similar format), will simply put the arguments in the stack and run the program. It's the user's responsibility to make sure the number of arguments match (the numeric integrator only supports functions in one variable, so the user-supplied program must take one argument from the stack and produce one result.

* As a symbolic in the form of equation: 'Myfunc(X)=X^2+SIN(X)'

The evaluation will take N arguments from the stack (N is as many arguments are in the function definition to the left of the = sign), create local variables with the names given in the function definition, and finally evaluate the right part of the symbolic. The name of the function is ignored, so you can be creative there (f(X) is boring...)

For the NUMINT command, you provide the function in one of the forms above, start and end points, and finally a desired tolerance in the error. It uses an adaptive Simpson algorithm which is not the best algorithm available, but it has a few advantages:
a) Low memory footprint
b) No precomputed weights or other fixed constants (this is important in a variable-precision environment like newRPL)

The FACTORS command is close to the original RPL command: just provide an integer and it will return a list with the prime factors. Beware that it's not a state-of-the art implementation, merely brute-force up to a certain limit, then Pollard-Rho for big numbers. It also works for polynomials, just like the original command.

As usual, please report any problems.

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - Claudio L. - 07-27-2018 11:55 PM

Build 1088 has just become an Official release, all files were updated on Sourceforge, including newRPL Desktop for windows.

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - pier4r - 07-28-2018 10:27 AM

kudos!

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - compsystems - 07-28-2018 01:20 PM

Hello

Please add a flag to display a source code as it was written in an external editor, that is, retaining the tab and character of the new line. In this way the reading is more comprehensible, Thanks

[Image: newRPL_PC_image00.png]

Some ideas

1: By pressing the [var] key, change the main menu through the variables menu

2: with the key [<¬] + [cursor] scroll page by page as the hp50 does.

[Image: newRPL_PC_image01.png]

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - Claudio L. - 07-28-2018 05:43 PM

(07-28-2018 01:20 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello

Please add a flag to display a source code as it was written in an external editor, that is, retaining the tab and character of the new line. In this way the reading is more comprehensible, Thanks

Most languages you can't even go back from compiled code to readable source. Try to take an executable file and get your C code back if you can, let alone your formatting!
If you want to preserve your source code formatting, save your source code text before compiling, end of story.
One (sort of) workaround is to use comments at the end of each line. newRPL comments preserve the newline characters at the end, so if you end each line with @@ you'll preserve line separations. Of course, if your line gets too wide then the decompiler will choose to split it in two lines regardless.
But the best is to simply save your text the way you like it.

(07-28-2018 01:20 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Some ideas

1: By pressing the [var] key, change the main menu through the variables menu

2: with the key [<¬] + [cursor] scroll page by page as the hp50 does.

1: The VAR is a menu key. It has all assignments taken, please read the wiki. Even long press is assigned.
2: Page-by-page navigation was done on day 1, please refer to the wiki.

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - compsystems - 07-28-2018 06:56 PM

The hp-prime makes a copy of the program, one of them is the source file as it was written in the PC file editor, the other copy is a compiled hidden file. The @ @ character I do not like as a comment, although you could use a smaller equivalent unicode character ﹫. or use the character ©, the ti68k use it. To preserve the line break you could also use (; ) or a unicode character ;;::

you could use the [var] key to change between menu1 and menu2 and vice versa ⇕, in this way you recover the functions the keys G; H; I; K; L

[Image: newRPL_PC_image02.png]

RE: newRPL - build 1088 released! [update:build 1088] - Claudio L. - 07-29-2018 02:12 AM

(07-28-2018 06:56 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The hp-prime makes a copy of the program, one of them is the source file as it was written in the PC file editor, the other copy is a compiled hidden file.
In the RPL world, it's *YOU* who make the copy of the program.

(07-28-2018 06:56 PM)compsystems Wrote:  The @ @ character I do not like as a comment, although you could use a smaller equivalent unicode character ﹫. or use the character ©, the ti68k use it.

So, you propose to break compatibility with RPL and change the @ comment character into some other character because... TI uses it?
If anything, the comment character should be double-slash (C-style) or double-dash (Lua-style), both of which are readily available in a calculator keyboard without any shift.

(07-28-2018 06:56 PM)compsystems Wrote:  To preserve the line break you could also use (; ) or a unicode character ;;::
You keep confusing source code with compiled code. You don't compile a newline character ';' or whatever, it just vanishes, then it's not there when you want to decompile the program. newRPL's permanent comments are just that, comments that get compiled in, not a fully formatted copy of your source code. The only way to do it is to keep a copy of your text, but it won't be done automatically, it just won't.

(07-28-2018 06:56 PM)compsystems Wrote:  you could use the [var] key to change between menu1 and menu2 and vice versa ⇕, in this way you recover the functions the keys G; H; I; K; L

And... you still didn't even bother to look at the wiki...

PS: Clarification (not for you, you go look at the wiki, this is for other people interested :-). On-VAR does exactly what this "new" idea suggests, and On-VAR (long press) hides/shows the second menu (still functional when hidden).

RE: newRPL - build 1089 released! [update:build 1089] - Claudio L. - 07-30-2018 01:58 PM

ROMs upgraded to 1089. There was a bug that wouldn't let you input formulas with nested parenthesis, so I issued an immediate update on both official and devel ROMs, I strongly recommend to update to 1089 if you already had 1088, since it makes it almost unusable not being able to input formulae.

RE: newRPL - build 1089 released! [update:build 1089] - Carsen - 07-30-2018 07:57 PM

(07-30-2018 01:58 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  ROMs upgraded to 1089. There was a bug that wouldn't let you input formulas with nested parenthesis

Ahhh. That's why I couldn't get the NUMINT function to work. I thought I misunderstood the procedure somehow. Now that I installed 1089, I got NUMINT to work and it's pretty powerful!