HP Forums
newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299] (/thread-9700.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 05-04-2018 03:29 AM

(05-03-2018 03:14 PM)compsystems Wrote:  As the virtual keyboard is not yet functional, then please include the CATALOG sub-function to quickly locate the commands

Except the virtual keyboard is now functional (not on build 1001 binaries on sourceforge, but if you build it yourself it is).

The CATALOG shows commands alphabetically, right? So to find what command you want, you need to know its name, or at least the starting letter and scroll from there. Very similar functionality is available in autocomplete, if you know the first couple of letters, you can find any command quite fast. Unless we come up with a way to find commands faster in the catalog, it'd be exactly the same number of keystrokes (in CATALOG you'd see a list of commands, and you can either type the first few letters or scroll with the cursors, same thing).

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - compsystems - 05-08-2018 05:11 PM

Some time ago I made some skins that are unique for emu48(+). since they allow to execute quickly the functions that are above the key. For example
the functions that are above the [enter] key, ANS -> NUM are executed when positioning the cursor on the label, without the need to press the change keys beforehand and then enter (avoiding a previous press). In addition, the alphabetic keyboard of the PC must write letters in the simulator, not to execute the function of the keyboard of the calculator, since this is not practical and confusing.

check the functions written previously, downloading the new skins designed for emu48+

http://www.eonicasys.com.co/public/math/RPL/emu48/emu48_plus_hp48_hp50_skins.rar

Please Claudio can replicate these ideas on the simulator's keyboard.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 05-10-2018 03:37 PM

(05-08-2018 05:11 PM)compsystems Wrote:  Please Claudio can replicate these ideas on the simulator's keyboard.

If the keys behave different, it's not a simulator anymore. The idea was for the simulator to help speed up development of the real thing. If the simulator has a completely different interface, it will be useless to debug the calculator firmware.
Always keep that in mind: it exists only to aid the use and development of the real hardware, it isn't a separate app.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - compsystems - 05-10-2018 05:21 PM

In the real calculator we use both hands, to manipulate the calc keyboard, while in the simulator the mouse pointer or the PC keyboard, but in the PC keyboard for example the "T" key does not have COS labeling so it is difficult to associate "T" with COS, while writing "T" is more practical.

If you test my kml, you can see that holding the CTRL + T key executes the COS function, as well as if you execute shift + T, you write t in lowercase, since T writes T. Then to leave the keyboard functions on simulator as they are currently proposed a menu:

1: Keymap 1 (current)
2: Keymap 2 (mine)

Now the labels above each key that I present as buttons are simply shortcuts, it does not affect the logic of the use in the real calculator

[Image: screenCapture_emu48_image01.jpg]

and even the sequence (shift + caps) PC + cos (skin) writes the theta Greek letter, for this the CTRL key is required. be the control key to write different sequences

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - The Shadow - 05-26-2018 01:55 AM

So what are you working on lately, Claudio?

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - compsystems - 05-26-2018 02:19 AM

I would like the picture environment, that is, manipulation of pixels but grayscale, to be able to make graphics as fractals.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 05-26-2018 03:35 AM

(05-26-2018 01:55 AM)The Shadow Wrote:  So what are you working on lately, Claudio?

Real life work, mostly.
I did some work on newRPL, mostly some bug fixes on the bit-operations that weren't working well (I'll release that bugfix build in a few days). The auto-evaluation process seems to work well, but I haven't gotten into the GUI aspect yet.
However, I got sidetracked with a small project (calculator-related). I'll unveil it when I'm confident it can deliver what it promises.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 05-26-2018 03:38 AM

(05-10-2018 05:21 PM)compsystems Wrote:  If you test my kml, you can see that holding the CTRL + T key executes the COS function...

I'm sure your KML is fantastic, I'm just not able to spend so much time remapping keyboards when I have so many other pending items on the list. Why don't you take the newRPL sources and implement a KML parser yourself? That way we will all enjoy the multiple benefits of your KML script.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - snrowe - 06-03-2018 08:12 PM

Having some unusual behavior with my hp39gs. I just installed 1055 and the annunciators don't stay fully lit up after activation. For example Pressing Shift lights up right shift arrow while pressing but fades to a very very light grey after releasing the button. I don't notice this same behavior with the hp50g. I'm new to new RPL so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Am looking forward to serial command equivalents of XMIT, SRECV . I see alarms are in the menus! Will be testing these out to see if they are less buggy than regular HP50g alarms. New RPL looks really cool, looking forward to playing around with it.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 06-04-2018 03:36 PM

(06-03-2018 08:12 PM)snrowe Wrote:  Having some unusual behavior with my hp39gs. I just installed 1055 and the annunciators don't stay fully lit up after activation. For example Pressing Shift lights up right shift arrow while pressing but fades to a very very light grey after releasing the button. I don't notice this same behavior with the hp50g. I'm new to new RPL so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

It's not unusual, it's by design :-), it's exactly the same as the 50g, perhaps your contrast settings are different and you don't see it? When you press a shift, the annunciators go dark until you release, then they "latch" in lighter gray.
Basically, light gray = shift+key, and black = shift-hold+key, they are two different shift planes with different functions in many keys, hence the visual hint in the annunciators.

(06-03-2018 08:12 PM)snrowe Wrote:  Am looking forward to serial command equivalents of XMIT, SRECV .
For the time being, you can play with USBSEND/USBRECV. I haven't done anything yet on a serial driver, but USB is fully functional, the only down side is that the other side needs the newRPL Desktop application, you can't really connect it directly to other devices.
On the bright side, using newRPL Desktop you can copy/paste into other applications, and save objects to disk easily, so it's not much worse than using a terminal emulator with some obscure Kermit server.

(06-03-2018 08:12 PM)snrowe Wrote:  I see alarms are in the menus! Will be testing these out to see if they are less buggy than regular HP50g alarms. New RPL looks really cool, looking forward to playing around with it.

Alarms are not buggy at all, but the buzzer doesn't have a driver yet... so it's a very quiet alarm for the time being. The good new is... I found my 3-channel FM-synthesizer code, as soon as I get some spare time I'll try to port it to newRPL so it will sound much better than the usual "beep".

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - rprosperi - 06-04-2018 09:40 PM

(06-04-2018 03:36 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  It's not unusual, it's by design :-), it's exactly the same as the 50g, perhaps your contrast settings are different and you don't see it? When you press a shift, the annunciators go dark until you release, then they "latch" in lighter gray.
Basically, light gray = shift+key, and black = shift-hold+key, they are two different shift planes with different functions in many keys, hence the visual hint in the annunciators.

Are you sure about that Claudio? I've never noticed this, and I just tried with 2 different 50gs at many different contrast settings, and I see no difference in how 'dark' the shift annunciator is when I release the shift-key. I get what you're saying, and it makes sense to indicate the different planes, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

Could you be thinking of a different machine, or possibly this was true in an early ROM release? It's a nice touch in newRPL, but I don't think it's an original 50g feature.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 06-04-2018 10:03 PM

(06-04-2018 09:40 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Are you sure about that Claudio? I've never noticed this, and I just tried with 2 different 50gs at many different contrast settings, and I see no difference in how 'dark' the shift annunciator is when I release the shift-key. I get what you're saying, and it makes sense to indicate the different planes, but it just doesn't seem to be the case.

Could you be thinking of a different machine, or possibly this was true in an early ROM release? It's a nice touch in newRPL, but I don't think it's an original 50g feature.

Sorry, when I said "it's the same as the 50g", I meant a 50g with newRPL ROM. The OP was talking about a 39gs and comparing it to a 50g. I automatically assumed he meant a 50g running the same newRPL firmware (now reading again, he didn't specify if the 50g was stock or newRPL).
In my response I used 50g (ambiguously, I realize now) to refer to the hardware, but I always assumed we were comparing newRPL on a 50g with newRPL on a 39gs.

Stock firmware is not grayscale but plain B&W, so it could've never done that.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - rprosperi - 06-04-2018 10:11 PM

(06-04-2018 10:03 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Sorry, when I said "it's the same as the 50g", I meant a 50g with newRPL ROM. The OP was talking about a 39gs and comparing it to a 50g. I automatically assumed he meant a 50g running the same newRPL firmware (now reading again, he didn't specify if the 50g was stock or newRPL).
In my response I used 50g (ambiguously, I realize now) to refer to the hardware, but I always assumed we were comparing newRPL on a 50g with newRPL on a 39gs.

Ahh, ok, got it; makes sense now. Should have thought of that and checked, but as usual, when someone posts comments which implies something that I've totally missed for many years, I just have to break out the machine to check it.

And as noted above, this is a nice improvement over the stock 50g.

Thanks.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - brickviking - 06-04-2018 11:01 PM

(06-04-2018 03:36 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  It's not unusual, it's by design :-), it's exactly the same as the 50g, perhaps your contrast settings are different and you don't see it? When you press a shift, the annunciators go dark until you release, then they "latch" in lighter gray.

Like, huh? They do? (hauls out stock 50G, confirms they don't, convinced someone's been smoking the 8" floppies again).

(06-04-2018 10:03 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Sorry, when I said "it's the same as the 50g", I meant a 50g with newRPL ROM. The OP was talking about a 39gs and comparing it to a 50g. I automatically assumed he meant a 50g running the same newRPL firmware (now reading again, he didn't specify if the 50g was stock or newRPL).

I must admit I misread the context too, I didn't even think of the "50G running newRPL" vs "50G running stock".

(06-04-2018 10:11 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Ahh, ok, got it; makes sense now. Should have thought of that and checked, but as usual, when someone posts comments which implies something that I've totally missed for many years, I just have to break out the machine to check it.

He had me checking my own 50G as well. I wonder how many other forum members guessed the context correctly? I know I didn't. I don't have a second 50G that I can newRPLise, nor does it have a complete set of 50G-stock features. Yet. I understand things like this take time though.

(Post 239)

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - snrowe - 06-05-2018 01:55 AM

You were correct my HP50G's contrast was too high. Like the shift plane idea, pretty slick!

(06-04-2018 03:36 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  For the time being, you can play with USBSEND/USBRECV. I haven't done anything yet on a serial driver, but USB is fully functional, the only down side is that the other side needs the newRPL Desktop application, you can't really connect it directly to other devices.
On the bright side, using newRPL Desktop you can copy/paste into other applications, and save objects to disk easily, so it's not much worse than using a terminal emulator with some obscure Kermit server.

Am interested in writing RPL programs for controlling RS232 devices. Mainly for a few amateur radio's.

(06-04-2018 03:36 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Alarms are not buggy at all, but the buzzer doesn't have a driver yet... so it's a very quiet alarm for the time being. The good new is... I found my 3-channel FM-synthesizer code, as soon as I get some spare time I'll try to port it to newRPL so it will sound much better than the usual "beep".

That's great to hear! One of my main gripes with the HP50G (HP's OS) is the buggy alarm behavior.

I'm a big fan of RPL programming and look forward to learning NewRPL!

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 06-05-2018 03:25 AM

(06-04-2018 10:11 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Ahh, ok, got it; makes sense now.

(06-04-2018 11:01 PM)brickviking Wrote:  Like, huh? They do? (hauls out stock 50G, confirms they don't, convinced someone's been smoking the 8" floppies again).

(06-05-2018 01:55 AM)snrowe Wrote:  You were correct my HP50G's contrast was too high. Like the shift plane idea, pretty slick!

Quite a disconnect there... It seems you and me were communicating on the same language but not necessarily with words. You were in fact talking about a 50g with newRPL, and I correctly pointed to your problem, but when I read our posts afterwards, they both lack the necessary information for other interested readers to understand.
I give my word to be more explicit next time for other fellow readers to be able to follow the deranged ideas we present here, whether express or implied :-).

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - snrowe - 06-05-2018 11:38 AM

(06-05-2018 03:25 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Quite a disconnect there... It seems you and me were communicating on the same language but not necessarily with words. You were in fact talking about a 50g with newRPL, and I correctly pointed to your problem, but when I read our posts afterwards, they both lack the necessary information for other interested readers to understand.
I give my word to be more explicit next time for other fellow readers to be able to follow the deranged ideas we present here, whether express or implied :-).

Yes I see what you mean. Have to think about what I post a little better next time. I completely missed how unclear I was being.

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - brickviking - 06-07-2018 12:24 AM

(06-06-2018 09:22 PM)okkama Wrote:  Getting the source code
Code:
#git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/newrpl/sources newrpl-sources
Cloning into 'newrpl-sources'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.code.sf.net/p/newrpl/sources/': The requested URL returned error: 503
#

Works for me, though it took its own sweet time in doing so.

Cheers.

(Post 240)

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - okkama - 06-07-2018 07:05 AM

(06-07-2018 12:24 AM)brickviking Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 09:22 PM)okkama Wrote:  Getting the source code
Code:
#git clone https://git.code.sf.net/p/newrpl/sources newrpl-sources
Cloning into 'newrpl-sources'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.code.sf.net/p/newrpl/sources/': The requested URL returned error: 503
#

Works for me, though it took its own sweet time in doing so.

Cheers.

(Post 240)
Yes. It's working. :-)
I'm sorry to bother you, but how to find out which build (source code) of NewRPL I have?

RE: newRPL - build 1001 released! [update:build 1052] - Claudio L. - 06-29-2018 04:19 PM

(06-07-2018 07:05 AM)okkama Wrote:  I'm sorry to bother you, but how to find out which build (source code) of NewRPL I have?

If you mean from within the newly built firmware: use the VERSION command.
If you mean from the command line after cloning/updating the repo:

Code:

git rev-list --count HEAD