HP Forums
Can we get a protected/residing area? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Can we get a protected/residing area? (/thread-943.html)

Can we get a protected/residing area? - Angus - 03-20-2014 09:07 AM

It happened frequently to me that I accidently deleted important programs or data on the calc.
The thing is that unused and maybe forgotten variables can have unwanted effects on anything everytime. It is recommended to frequently delete unused user variables.

When I delete all CAS Variables using the memory browser doing SHIFT+ESC cas is clear. I seriously would like to be able to protect some CAS functions or so, but what is worse: I have my User Keys also deleted... That is really annoying!

The prime vs HP50 Thread made me try out the calc at office again. Results in lost user keys. Game over. Very sad, indeed.

edited for better understanding

RE: Can we get a protected/residing area? - CR Haeger - 03-20-2014 02:43 PM

(03-20-2014 09:07 AM)Angus Wrote:  It happened frequently to me that I accidently deleted important programs or data on the calc.
The thing is that unused and maybe forgotten variables can have unwanted effects on anything everytime. It is recommended to frequently delete unused user variables.

When I delete all CAS Variables using the memory browser doing SHIFT+ESC cas is clear. I seriously would like to be able to protect some CAS functions or so, but what is worse: I have my User Keys also deleted... That is really annoying!

The prime vs HP50 Thread made me try out the calc at office again. Results in lost user keys. Game over. Very sad, indeed.

edited for better understanding

Hi Angus, I was sad then I tried again after reading help guide.

I do the following to protect important programs:
- Use the Conn Kit and BACKUP to make a backup of the Calculator periodically. RESTORE will reload the backed up state. See pg 17 of the Conn Kit Help guide.
- Save copies of important programs in a separate file, using say WordPad. You can always copy/paste these back into the Conn Kit or Emulator.

Good luck

RE: Can we get a protected/residing area? - Angus - 03-20-2014 03:45 PM

Yes, as always you should save your data on the pc. I do that aswell. However that does not help when there is no conectivity kit around i.e. in the field or at work in general. I don't have the conn kit there so when loosing the important data, working with the prime is over until you get home.

Because of that I thought it would be of more importance for the majority and -some- sort of protection or backup would serve many well. (True in the classroom everyone should be part of the network so no problem)

RE: Can we get a protected/residing area? - CR Haeger - 03-20-2014 04:57 PM

Another option I use is to save some copied items in the NOTES app - like cas variable/programs. This is often handy if I don't want to retype a long command line in to create a new CAS variable. Just copy/paste/enter in CAS.

This also seems to work with programs. For example, you could copy/paste a copy of your USERKEY program text into the NOTES app. If needed, you can then copy/paste it back into a new program USERKEY. I guess this would be helpful in cases where the USERKEY program was accidentally edited or deleted...

RE: Can we get a protected/residing area? - HP67 - 03-20-2014 05:19 PM

(03-20-2014 03:45 PM)Angus Wrote:  Yes, as always you should save your data on the pc. I do that aswell. However that does not help when there is no conectivity kit around i.e. in the field or at work in general. I don't have the conn kit there so when loosing the important data, working with the prime is over until you get home.

That's another plus for the 50g's SD card support. You can backup and restore the whole thing to port memory or the card, and you can even write protect the card itself. It's not perfect since a restore overlays the contents of the backup over everything in HOME but it can save you once in a while and if you need to you can still restore bits and pieces manually.

RE: Can we get a protected/residing area? - orcinus - 03-27-2014 02:52 PM

(03-20-2014 09:07 AM)Angus Wrote:  When I delete all CAS Variables using the memory browser doing SHIFT+ESC cas is clear. I seriously would like to be able to protect some CAS functions or so, but what is worse: I have my User Keys also deleted... That is really annoying!

Just save them to Port 0. Oh, wait... Tongue