HP Forums
Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ (/thread-9054.html)

Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - ArchieT - 09-12-2017 02:25 PM

Hello,

the bezel/frame of my 49g+ got broken when it was in that pouch in my bag, and now I don't know how should I glue it — should I take it off entirely, glue in place or just bend off a little to glue it? How should I apply pressure to it waiting for the glue then?

Pics: [Image: IMG_20170912_161138_HDR.jpg] [Image: IMG_20170912_161338_HDR.jpg]

Thanks in advance Smile

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - ArchieT - 09-20-2017 12:57 AM

Won't be there any advice? Has no one experienced this issue?

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - DA74254 - 09-20-2017 05:40 AM

Mine broke at the exact same spot (top right corner).
I haven't done anything to it, so it's still loose (for several years).

Still, if I were to fix it, I'd take the bezel off and glue it with "superglue" or cyanoacrylate and snap it back after the glue dad settled.
I doubt I'd ever bother, as I barely use that calc. Hate the keys and the infamous key-misses on it, and use my 50G instead

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - Brad Barton - 09-20-2017 05:38 PM

I've tried using cyanoacrylate glues to repair the plastics on some older HP41's, but it has never worked out very well. The cyanoacrylate dries very hard, but doesn't seem to bond well with the plastic. It makes for a brittle joint, that doesn't hold up to stress very well.

I was talking about this exact subject a few other members at HHC this year. The consensus was that a better bet would be either a 2 part epoxy, or a glue similar to the Testors(tm) model glue we used to use on our models that we built when we were kids. The key I think is to find something that partially melts the plastic you are gluing, causing it to merge with the glue more fully. Once the glue cures completely, this should yield a much stronger joint.

Applying the glue neatly is a problem with all glues, especially with the type of thin plastic bezel you are attempting to repair here. If possible, I'd recommend that you remove the plastic piece completely and then re-install it once the repair is made. That way you could have better access to both the top and bottom of the surface of the part. If you concentrate the glue near the inner surface of the bezel, then you could sand it flat once the glue fully cures, and hide the sanding marks that would result. Applying the glue or epoxy with a toothpick or similar small brush should help keep you from using too much glue.

Brad

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - John Colvin - 09-20-2017 06:10 PM

I had the same thing happen to my 49G+ and I used ordinary super glue to
fix it and it has held up fine for several years now.

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - Carsen - 09-20-2017 07:26 PM

I would glue the bezel back onto the calculator with epoxy (a form of glue. Good stuff). Using a toothpick to spread the epoxy. I would then tape the bezel with masking tape to hold in place and wait for an hour. That should work for a long time.

I came up with the solution only by analyzing the pictures and using my experiences with epoxy. I DO NOT own a HP 49g+ (I own a HP 50g though) and have NOT repaired this issue specifically myself.

Good luck with the repair!

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - eried - 09-21-2017 01:32 PM

There is an special glue for ABS from Tamiya: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87137cement_abs/index.htm

If you want the cleanest strongest solution that is the way (I tried several glues in ABS pieces, same material used in the case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzR1fD2bPiQ )

2nd option: Good quality super glue (to avoid white stains)
3rd option: Epoxy

RE: Fixing a broken plastic bezel/frame of HP49g+ - ArchieT - 12-04-2017 08:29 AM

One day I just got angry and used a washable paper glue stick, which might not have been a good idea, but it's already done. We'll see how will it respond to stress. Thanks for all the advice, including the account of living with it being loose for years Smile

Regarding the proper fix method, I have epoxy, but I didn't know how elastic the bezel is, and if it is possible to stick it together by neither taking the bezel off nor sticking it to the body.

Though yeah, that doesn't make sense as there is little chance to manage to stick it being placed on the body, not sticking it to the body.

I did stick it to the body with the washable glue though, but that's just not permanent.