HP Forums
Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Some problems Ive been having with cas programs (/thread-8697.html)

Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - webmasterpdx - 07-18-2017 11:55 AM

OK, First of all, is there a way I can get the name of a cas function and have it appear in a program by selecting from a menu (without having to type the full name)? Same for on the runtime line.???
When I select cas vars from the mem menu, it just shows me the definition, not grabbing it to place it on the line like I can do with home functions.

Second problem is when I run a cas program, it seems to just show the definition, rather than run the program.....how do I run it?
Thx

RE: Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - webmasterpdx - 07-18-2017 12:07 PM

I got the second problem solved....you must always put the () after the function name and then it runs. Otherwise, it just shows the definition....though I don't know what the latter serves.

RE: Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - Didier Lachieze - 07-18-2017 03:15 PM

(07-18-2017 11:55 AM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  When I select cas vars from the mem menu, it just shows me the definition, not grabbing it to place it on the line like I can do with home functions.
Try Vars>CAS>Program instead of the mem menu.

RE: Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - Tim Wessman - 07-19-2017 12:42 AM

(07-18-2017 12:07 PM)webmasterpdx Wrote:  Otherwise, it just shows the definition....though I don't know what the latter serves.

Well, as I mentioned in a few other places the CAS is a functional CAS. Everything is an object. When you just call the object directly by name (including a function which is an object/variable) you get the content back.

There are lots of commands that let you operate directly on the content of functions rather then evaluating them.

RE: Some problems Ive been having with cas programs - webmasterpdx - 07-19-2017 10:49 AM

First, thanks Didier, that solves it for me!
Second, Tim, I haven't time right now, but it occurred to me that possibly this might allow macro type text substitution....I'll have to experiment with this....might have it's uses. Thx.