HP Forums
CLASSIC KEYSTROKES - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: CLASSIC KEYSTROKES (/thread-861.html)

CLASSIC KEYSTROKES - Mike T. - 03-09-2014 04:43 AM

I was trying to remember if any of the clasic, woodstock, spice, topcat or voyager series machines used any merged keystroke commands with more than four keystrokes - I couldn't think of any one the machines I have, but have I missed any?

(It would be nice if I could store up to all the valid keystrokes, using two bcd nibbles each, in an unsigned long int..)

Thanks

RE: CLASSIC KEYSTROKES - Marcus von Cube - 03-09-2014 11:21 AM

(03-09-2014 04:43 AM)Mike T. Wrote:  (Reason for queston - For storage up to four keystrokes, two bcd nibbles each, will fit into an unsigned long int..)

If I'm not mistaken, the merged commands are stored as a single op-code entity (in most cases a single byte). The assembly of the instruction from the key code sequence as well as the disassembly into keystrokes for display are separate steps. That is the reason why a 97 can execute programs from the 67 read in from cards. The op-codes are not related to the keystrokes required to enter them.

RE: CLASSIC KEYSTROKES - Mike T. - 03-09-2014 06:23 PM

Finally decided it is time to rewrite my simulator in C using X windows and I'm planning on using a long int to store the key strokes as they are entered. (I can't be bothered with the hassle of managing string storage and the swtich statement doesn't allow use of strings anyway).

As I'm learning C at the same time it should be an 'interesting' experence.