HP Forums
Solver App question - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Solver App question (/thread-8432.html)

Solver App question - Randall - 05-31-2017 04:32 PM

I am a new prime user. I have entered 7 equations in a new instance of the solve app. It is handy to have symbolic, plot, and numeric views available at the push of a button.

The 7 equations represent what if scenarios and are edited often to represent new conditions.

On the 50g I used the variable name for the equation as a clue/reminder to describe the scenario.

In the solve app, equation labels appear to be fixed (E1, E2, etc). And, I did not see a way to add a description within the equation itself such as a remark statement.

Any suggestions?

RE: Solver App question - Tim Wessman - 05-31-2017 05:09 PM

Hello,

Several suggestions here:

1. You can use variables of other names, they just need to be existing first. You can do this by going into your application program (top entry in the program list) and decalring some variables. Then these will be useable in your equation.

In the source file, do something like:

Ab, Bb, MyVar; //up to 8 per line. If you'd like them to be useable system wide, put an EXPORT at the start of the line

Then you can define E1 to be Ab*Bb=MyVar or whatever.

2. To add notes, you can use the Info screen for a quick reference. This is an attached note to the app. Shift-Apps to get to it.

3. Once you have things as you'd like it, save a copy of your app from the app catalog, and give it a name.Even add a nice icon using the connkit if you desire.

RE: Solver App question - Randall - 05-31-2017 05:33 PM

Thanks very much.

I will start exploring your suggestions.

RE: Solver App question - Han - 06-01-2017 03:42 AM

I wrote an app that will allow you to set up systems of equations to be saved, solved, modified, etc. You can find it here:

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-7725.html

The source code is readily available if you want to look at just one of perhaps many ways of setting up systems and applying a solver.

RE: Solver App question - Randall - 06-17-2017 01:32 AM

I read more about apps in the manual and found the app info you mentioned. I now have a description for each equation.

I also experimented with defining other variables and using them in the equations. That works fine as well but, for now, an equation with description in the app works for me.

I also read the description of the separate program that incorporates a solver within. I'll try that one when I have more Prime experience.

Thanks