HP Forums
Bugs! Bugs? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Bugs! Bugs? (/thread-8227.html)

Bugs! Bugs? - Freire - 04-23-2017 12:10 AM

First of all, I'm new member and have used little of hp prime capabilities (Bought 5 days ago).
I'm not expert in HP calculators at all and made everything out of tutorials and the HP Quick Manual and the User Manual.
So I just think these are bugs and must be looked at.

My calculator:
Software > 2016 08 29(10637)
Hardware > C
OS > V0.048.635

"Bug" 1 :
Open the Statitics 2 var App, then go to program (shift 1):
Running these commands inside a program:
L1:=MAKELIST(X,X,1,373,2);
L2:=MAKELIST(psat_t2(X),X,274.15,646.15,2);// Common iapws-if97 function [1]
L3:=MAKELIST(X,X,350,587,2);
L4:=MAKELIST(B23p_T(X),X,623.15,860.15,2);// Common iapws-if97 function [1]
//[1] http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4896.html?highlight=steam
In List editor everything looks ok:
L1 187 values, L2 187 values, L3 119 values, L4 119 values.
Then go to Symb and Enter:
H1> L1 L2
H2> L3 L4
Go to plot. Everything works ok.
When you exit this and go to List editor:
Lost all lists and this is shown instead:
L1 0 values, L2 152634753 values, L3 810876928 values, L4 819033182 Values.
(Results may vary but always in a pattern like this one.)
Usually after this happens the calculator behaves in a strange manner, and resets.
??? Should this happen?

"Bug" 2:

Parametric and Polar apps:
When using Degrees instead of Radians, the apps doesn't work properly on plot view.
The plot setup for T range or Theta range are set properly only to Radians view. (Haven't tested Grad, but probably same issue.)
If you still set everything up for the Degree to be plotted propperly,
the zoom autoscale works in strange manner not focusing the plot propperly. (Usually autoscale something like just a 1/4th of the image.)

"Bug" 3:

If you create an App with an external program deppendance and you by chance delete the program (Not the app) the app loses it's properties. (Let me explain)
I created the app from example (Dice Roll) from statistics var 2.
After that Deleted the RollDie() program from the program list.
After that the App Dice Roll (Copied from Stat.var2 started to show as Function copy and all Function app properties without any changes.) But not functional to calculations in any sort.

Thanks for the attention if you read everything and sorry for my english (probably with some errors lolz).

If pictures are needed I'll update this post later.

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - Arno K - 04-23-2017 09:38 AM

Perhaps you should update everything to Version 11226 from 2016 12 08 and then check again. Updates are available on "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/" (copy and paste to your address-line in the browser)
Arno

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - Nigel (UK) - 04-23-2017 06:41 PM

(04-23-2017 09:38 AM)Arno K Wrote:  Perhaps you should update everything to Version 11226 from 2016 12 08 and then check again. Updates are available on "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/" (copy and paste to your address-line in the browser)
Arno

I don't think that this version is available for the physical calculator, which is what the OP is using.

Nigel (UK)

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - Arno K - 04-23-2017 08:34 PM

Arrgh, I only looked at that directory after checking the version of the VC, there clearly is only the version for the HW-Prime he mentioned, sorry.
Arno

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - Tim Wessman - 04-24-2017 08:48 PM

(04-23-2017 12:10 AM)Freire Wrote:  "Bug" 1 :

Thanks. I'll investigate this. Note that you don't need to use "L1" and similar to do stats like with the TI-83/84. Normally, you'd use the built in columns in the app such as D1-D9 for stat1var and C1-C9 for stat2var. I'll see what is happening to the L1 here. Most definitely should not be having problems like you report.

Quote:"Bug" 2:

This one is due to the "default" range. Press SHIFT-PLOT (for plot setup) and change the range value. The default is 0-2*pi. When you change the system to degrees mode, that range stays the same. Thus, your plot is only a very small part of what you'd expect. Change it to 0 to 360 and you'll get a more expected result.

Quote:"Bug" 3:

If you create an App with an external program deppendance and you by chance delete the program (Not the app) the app loses it's properties.

This is actually a very tricky problem. The best way to handle this is to put the program into the application program - not a separate program. Then it becomes part of the app. There really is no good way to ensure that a user doesn't delete something used somewhere else in the system. Its like on your computer. If the user deletes a program used to open a specific file, the computer will just do it and the file can't be opened until you reinstall that program.

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - Freire - 04-25-2017 02:52 AM

First of all. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate.
Second:
Quote:Quote:
"Bug" 2:

This one is due to the "default" range. Press SHIFT-PLOT (for plot setup) and change the range value. The default is 0-2*pi. When you change the system to degrees mode, that range stays the same. Thus, your plot is only a very small part of what you'd expect. Change it to 0 to 360 and you'll get a more expected result.

Well, yeah. Although the fact that it doesn't auto change, which bothers me but doesn't change the "usability", the "issue" I was trying to tell is with the autoscale.

See the screenshots below: (Example with Polar app, 3*Theta/Pi [User Manual Example])
Rad -> Plot [Insert F1 and go directly to Plot]
[Image: d82b37e0133e433887bd5d00f4bca195.png]
Rad -> Plot [Do Autoscale]
[Image: 2a042ed3396844f7b122402eaf0f26bc.png]
Before changing to degree close app, delets vars, change to Degree mode, restart app.
Degree -> Plot [Insert F1, change the interval from 0->2Pi to 0->360 and go to Plot]
[Image: 7f0a3ae31f4246468b0fee0484bb3ca3.png]
Degree -> Plot [Do Autoscale]
[Image: e60cfed33e0046268ec8eb637dbe73b5.png]

Doesn't the Autoscale look weird? Also doesn't the Plot screen itself also look a bit weird?
Although the initial plot view doesn't affect too much, the autoscale not sizing correctly really affects me.
These Images were taken on the virtual calculator just to make the screenshots, but the "issue" was seen on the actual physical calculator. Also the autoscale effect doesnt return the same thing all times, sometimes it changes what it "autozooms" to something even lesser than shown.
PS: The commands are in portuguese, that's why the menus are little different.

One more example with same procedure, but with Parametric App:
(Example with X1:= SIN(T), Y1:= COS(T))
Rad [Autoscale]
[Image: 797b44670b744eb7afde15447a73ed88.png]
Degree [Autoscale]
[Image: 8fb70d1d248f4735b33719e4cd751b48.png]

Sorry for the long reply. Smile

RE: Bugs! Bugs? - cyrille de brébisson - 05-01-2017 07:18 AM

Hello

"If you create an App with an external program deppendance and you by chance delete the program (Not the app) the app loses it's properties. (Let me explain)
I created the app from example (Dice Roll) from statistics var 2.
After that Deleted the RollDie() program from the program list.
After that the App Dice Roll (Copied from Stat.var2 started to show as Function copy and all Function app properties without any changes.) But not functional to calculations in any sort."

Although the Prime design allows you to use external programs, which is usually not a big issue when you do your own stuff, on your own calculator.
The "correct" way to do things is to make sure that any program is self sufficient and does not interfere/corrupt/delete stuff that it does not own.

In your case, your app should contain its own program, which uses its own global variables (if/as appropriate). This would make sure that the issue that you are describing does not happen. If there is a function that you use in multiple apps/programs, it should be duplicated :-(

So, if this is the intend, why does the calculator allow a user to "mess it up"?
Simply because it makes it much easier to do "quick and dirty" things (which we all need to do every now and then). It also makes it easier for a beginner to move from "home only user" to "advanced user" as he can start by just automating his work in home, and then "clean things up"...

Cyrille