HP Forums
Clonix questions - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Clonix questions (/thread-7861.html)

Clonix questions - hth - 03-03-2017 10:37 PM

What is the status of NoV-64 supporting extended memory? If I configure it, it greys out all ROM pages and I could not find any source code, just the NoV64XM.hex file. Is the source code available? Is it impossible to have both extended memory and ROM at the same time?

The CY emulation code indicates that it will not run on a Halfnut, is this still the case?
Is there some documentation on how to use the CY?

How do you use the NoV-64, as a Hepax plus some extra ROM pages?

Håkan

RE: Clonix questions - Ángel Martin - 03-04-2017 12:23 AM

I can't comment on your questions really, I've never used it as X-memory - wasn't even aware that option existed. Ditto with the CY configuration, my use cases are usually to hold modules - including the Library#4 - as subsets of the different themes: Math, Utilities, Alpha/Units. For that purpose it's the perfect solution, plug-and-play machine personalities so to speak.

RE: Clonix questions - rprosperi - 03-04-2017 01:02 AM

(03-03-2017 10:37 PM)hth Wrote:  What is the status of NoV-64 supporting extended memory? If I configure it, it greys out all ROM pages and I could not find any source code, just the NoV64XM.hex file. Is the source code available? Is it impossible to have both extended memory and ROM at the same time?

The Clonix manual (v4.1) says:

"Dual Ext. Mem. option configures a Clonix-D or NoV-64 into a Double Extended Memory module with 476 registers to use in an HP-41CX or an HP-41C/CV with the Ext. Func. Mem. module installed."

which seems to confirm that when using Ext memory, one cannot load ROMs as well, since this option is listed among other options which do include ROMs, etc. AFAIK, the source for the ClonixConfig setup program has not been released by Diego.

RE: Clonix questions - Sylvain Cote - 03-04-2017 03:17 AM

(03-03-2017 10:37 PM)hth Wrote:  What is the status of NoV-64 supporting extended memory?

In 2012, I did some testing of the Double X-MEM feature with the Clonix-D / NoV-64 modules and it was not working properly then.
I just did some tests with both modules on several 41 and it is still not working.
I had a several emails with Diego back in 2012 and he told me that the Double-X-MEM code was the most complex code he wrote and he had to investigate the issue.
He also told me that he did not had the time to do it then and I can only assume that he never went back to investigate the issue.
To my knowledge, the Double X-MEM uses the internal memory of the PIC chip to do it's X-Mem emulation and it's mutually exclusive with the ROM emulation functionality.

(03-03-2017 10:37 PM)hth Wrote:  The CY emulation code indicates that it will not run on a Halfnut, is this still the case?
Is there some documentation on how to use the CY?

Unfortunately, I do not own a any of the W&W modified HP-41CV with the W&W Rambox electronics, so no help here from me Sad

(03-03-2017 10:37 PM)hth Wrote:  How do you use the NoV-64, as a Hepax plus some extra ROM pages?

The HePaX simulator has a 4K word ROM module and 16K word of HePaX Q-RAM.
If you put the module in slot 1, the HePaX Q-RAM part will use page 0x8, 0x9, 0xA & 0xB while the HePaX ROM part will locate itself on the first empty page starting at page 0x5.
The NoV-64 in HePaX configuration has available space for 8 more pages in Join Blocks mode.
If you want to completely use the space available, you will have to use module image that uses page bank switching like the one Ángel is making.

HP-41CX with NoV-64 setup example ...

Clonix Config
Code:
- Join Blocks       -> check
- Flash ROM Block 0 -> HEPAX-1D (1-X), HEPAX-1D (2-X), HEPAX-1D (3-X), HEPAX-1D (4-X), LIBRARY4 (1-4), TTRKALL (1-D)
- Flash ROM Block 1 -> OSXBS4X1 (1-C), OSXBS4X2 (2-C), OSXBS4X3 (3-C), OSXBS4X4 (4-C), PPCL     (1-E), PPCU    (1-F)

HP-41 Memory Map
Code:
Page | Bank 1      | Bank 2      | Bank 3      | Bank 4      | Note
-----+-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+----------------------------------
0x0  | System ROM  | n/a         | n/a         | n/a         | 
0x1  | System ROM  | n/a         | n/a         | n/a         | 
0x2  | System ROM  | n/a         | n/a         | n/a         | 
0x3  | X-Function  | n/a         | n/a         | n/a         |
0x4  | LIBRARY4    | n/a         | n/a         | n/a         | Normally used for diagnostic ROM
0x5  | Time        | CX-Funcs    | n/a         | n/a         |
Code:
0x6  | HEPAX ROM   | empty       | empty       | empty       | Normally used for Printer ROM
0x7  | empty       | empty       | empty       | empty       | Normally used for HP-IL ROM
0x8  | HEPAX QRAM  | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 1 Low
0x9  | HEPAX QRAM  | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 1 High
0xA  | HEPAX QRAM  | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 2 Low
0xB  | HEPAX QRAM  | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 2 High
0xC  | OSXBS4X1    | OSXBS4X2    | OSXBS4X3    | OSXBS4X4    | Port 3 Low
0xD  | TTRKALL     | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 3 High
0xE  | PPCL        | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 4 Low
0xF  | PPCU        | empty       | empty       | empty       | Port 4 High

Sylvain

edit: typo

RE: Clonix questions - hth - 03-07-2017 06:31 AM

Thank you for the replies!

I will need to look into the HePax Q-RAM and the 41CY a bit more to see how I can make best use of the RAM.

Håkan