HP Forums
Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer (/thread-7651.html)

Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Joseph_21sv - 01-23-2017 11:06 PM

Inspired by the MEGA65 open computer and the color TI-84+ calculators, I had this idea for the minimum requirements for an ultimate Z80 computer:
CPU: simulates performing at least one "real" operation on an 18.32MHz Z80 (does not strictly imply using an eZ80, but the eZ80's specifications allow the most room for optimization)
Video: VGA 1024x576x16bpp (102.4 MHz dot clock), 16-bit master palette, variable chroma sampling rate, vertical/horizontal/ diagonal smooth hardware scrolling, hardware parallax scrolling, hardware split-screen scrolling, 64 sprites on screen (8 per scanline), 8x8/8x16/16x16 hardware sprite size (up to 32x32 by integer zooming), 8x8 tilemap playfield with hardware tile flipping
Audio: 1xAY-3-8910 compatible, stereo
DMA controller
512KiB base RAM (does not strictly imply using an eZ80, but the eZ80's 24-bit address mode will dispense with the need for external memory management)
Semi-compiling structured "floating"-point BASIC interpreter in ROM (not necessary for this to be in any part object-oriented, but it would be interesting)
USB (and Micro USB) I/O
10/100 Mbit Ethernet

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Eddie W. Shore - 01-27-2017 02:14 PM

That would be cool to see.

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Joseph_21sv - 01-30-2017 02:50 PM

(01-27-2017 02:14 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  That would be cool to see.

Exactly what about this is it that you think would make it cool to see?

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Dave Britten - 01-31-2017 11:19 PM

It's Arm rather than Z80, but I'd say just get yourself one of these:

https://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Joseph_21sv - 02-01-2017 04:55 AM

(01-31-2017 11:19 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  It's Arm rather than Z80, but I'd say just get yourself one of these:

https://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

It's also limited to composite video only unadapted and has a chiclet keyboard. That is to say, it misses two things I do like about MEGA65 (i. e. VGA video and a keyboard of full-sized keys) even in spite of viewing their grand design strategy as "hot fluidware" (the team implements particularly the CPU of the computer in field-programmable logic).

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Dave Britten - 02-01-2017 01:52 PM

(02-01-2017 04:55 AM)Joseph_21sv Wrote:  It's also limited to composite video only unadapted and has a chiclet keyboard. That is to say, it misses two things I do like about MEGA65 (i. e. VGA video and a keyboard of full-sized keys) even in spite of viewing their grand design strategy as "hot fluidware" (the team implements particularlay the CPU of the computer in field-programmable logic).

I agree that the mechanical key feel of the TI is better than the PocketCHIP, but I can type much faster on my PocketCHIP thanks to the familiar layout. The full-size USB port and bluetooth radio expand your keyboard options substantially, which is nice.

RE: Expanding the color TI-84+ calculator into a full computer - Joseph_21sv - 02-02-2017 02:34 PM

(02-01-2017 01:52 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(02-01-2017 04:55 AM)Joseph_21sv Wrote:  It's also limited to composite video only unadapted and has a chiclet keyboard. That is to say, it misses two things I do like about MEGA65 (i. e. VGA video and a keyboard of full-sized keys) even in spite of viewing their grand design strategy as "hot fluidware" (the team implements particularlay the CPU of the computer in field-programmable logic).

I agree that the mechanical key feel of the TI is better than the PocketCHIP, but I can type much faster on my PocketCHIP thanks to the familiar layout. The full-size USB port and bluetooth radio expand your keyboard options substantially, which is nice.

My concept of this "TI-87" is that, like many old 8 and 16 bit computers, it will come with the CPU, A/V control, RAM and ROM all packaged within the keyboard or the monitor. Forgive me if this was wrong, but I assumed name-dropping MEGA 65 first was going to be good enough to imply that the design would include a keyboard of full-sized keys.