HP Forums
Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally (/thread-6923.html)

Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Mark Hardman - 09-25-2016 09:19 PM

In January of 2015, I posted that I had purchased copies of the three “Learning to use the HP-65” Training Videos and that I had successfully converted the ¾” U-Matic videos to a digital format. I had planned on making their contents available on YouTube. However, in that post I overstated the quality of that initial conversion. Saying “the results aren't exceptional” is the understatement of the year. Typical video quality looked like this:

[attachment=3977]

I let three other “hobbyist” services make the attempt at converting the tapes to digital. I still found the results horrible and useless. I had an unfortunate incident and had to take a year away from the Internet. After getting back on my feet (literally), I found a friend-of-a-friend that hooked me up with a private forensic service used by law-enforcement. Their results are as good as it's going to get. Rather than posting them to YouTube, I am providing a downloadable archive.

I hope you enjoy the results.

Learning to Use the HP-65 Videos - Courtesy Mark Hardman.zip (527,231 KB)

Enter Up!

Mark Hardman
Houston, TX

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - rprosperi - 09-25-2016 10:27 PM

(09-25-2016 09:19 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Their results are as good as it's going to get. Rather than posting them to YouTube, I am providing a downloadable archive.

Thanks for sharing Mark, will watch them during the coming week.

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Jlouis - 09-26-2016 12:25 PM

Mark,

Really thanks for your efforts to share with us these piece of history.

Although I don't have a physical HP 65, it is a pleasure watching it, and it's a gem for every RPN enthusiastic and old technology fan like me.

Once again thank you very much indeed.

Cheers

JL

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Sylvain Cote - 09-26-2016 01:46 PM

Hello Mark,
Thank you very much for your perseverant effort and for the generous gift, very appreciated.
Best regards,
Sylvain

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Brad Barton - 09-26-2016 03:03 PM

Mark,

Thank you for working on this from so many angles, and through such troubling times. Glad to hear you're back on your feet.

Brad

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Massimo Gnerucci - 09-26-2016 07:55 PM

Thank you very much from me, too, Mark.

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - aurelio - 09-26-2016 08:51 PM

Whow! Mark, what a precious gift Smile
thank-you

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - TomC - 09-27-2016 03:21 PM

Mark:

Thanks very much for 'resurrecting' these videos - I had heard of them back over 40 years ago when I had purchased my 65. Only dreamed of ever seeing them!

Thanks again,
TomC

(09-25-2016 09:19 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  In January of 2015, I posted that I had purchased copies of the three “Learning to use the HP-65” Training Videos and that I had successfully converted the ¾” U-Matic videos to a digital format. I had planned on making their contents available on YouTube. However, in that post I overstated the quality of that initial conversion. Saying “the results aren't exceptional” is the understatement of the year. Typical video quality looked like this:

I let three other “hobbyist” services make the attempt at converting the tapes to digital. I still found the results horrible and useless. I had an unfortunate incident and had to take a year away from the Internet. After getting back on my feet (literally), I found a friend-of-a-friend that hooked me up with a private forensic service used by law-enforcement. Their results are as good as it's going to get. Rather than posting them to YouTube, I am providing a downloadable archive.

Learning to Use the HP-65 Videos - Courtesy Mark Hardman.zip (527,231 KB)

Enter Up!

Mark Hardman
Houston, TX

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Don Shepherd - 09-27-2016 08:20 PM

Thank you very much, Mark, these are great. I also had heard of these instructional videos years ago in that funky pre-Beta format, but I never dreamed I would see them. I have enjoyed my 65 for years now and I look forward to going through these three videos. This is a real treasure!

Don

oh, by the way, the avi files work great on my Chromebook (don't even need Windows)

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Mark Hardman - 09-28-2016 01:26 AM

Something that I find delightful in the videos is the instructor's narration when the Enter key is used:

ENTER ↑

Which he pronounces throughout as, "Enter" ...pause... "Up".

It reminds me a bit of Victor Borge's "Phonetic Pronunciation" sketch.

Mark Hardman

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Don Shepherd - 09-28-2016 03:59 PM

I noticed that Roy Martin was listed in the credits of the videos as one of the technical contributors. I corresponded with him via mail a few years ago regarding the date range of the HP-12c calculator and he was very helpful in explaining why it included exactly 900,000 days, ending in the year 4046.

Those old HP engineers of the 70's were a breed apart.

RE: Learning to use the HP-65 Training Videos - Finally - Matt Agajanian - 09-03-2017 04:29 PM

Hi all.

During Part 3, there's a mention of a further video which covers programming the 65 in more detail.

Where might I find that on YouTube or elsewhere?

Thank you