HP Forums
find the "seven" differences - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: find the "seven" differences (/thread-6674.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

find the "seven" differences - deachp - 08-09-2016 03:25 PM

I have received a new lot of HP Prime calculators and then...

[Image: hp_prime_version_3.jpg]

RE: find the "seven" differences - Tim Wessman - 08-09-2016 04:24 PM

Great! Finally an example of the color change in the wild. Basically, 3 things happened.

1. Orange print color was changed
  2. Blue color on the lower part of the keyboard changed
  3. Grey on the numerical keys was lightened

This is what I'd wanted it to look like in the very beginning (within the "must use blue and orange" design requirement). Unfortunately, I was not the one making the decision then. :-)

RE: find the "seven" differences - smp - 08-09-2016 04:28 PM

(08-09-2016 03:25 PM)deachp Wrote:  I have receive a new lot of HP Prime calculators and then...

Well, right off the bat I can see a much higher contrast in the blue and orange shifted text on the keys! There also seem to be a number of changes to the titles of the icons.

I'll keep on looking...

smp

RE: find the "seven" differences - eried - 08-09-2016 05:59 PM

"1Var estadistica" -> "Var 1 estadistica"

El robot ya casi comprende español, en el siguiente batch finalmente va a decir "Estadistica 1 var"

RE: find the "seven" differences - jrozsas - 08-09-2016 08:14 PM

It is possible to change the calculator's keys? Mine is the old model and I can not see what is in blue.

RE: find the "seven" differences - Tim Wessman - 08-09-2016 08:27 PM

Quote: I would like to see the skins without contours buttons, for use in notebook touch, Attached (jpg image)idea from a recent skin extracted of http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7672

You can easily make your own skin. We tried to make it easy...

RE: find the "seven" differences - Stevetuc - 08-10-2016 07:17 AM

(08-09-2016 09:38 PM)moonbeam Wrote:  Is it possible to swap the keys on the old model?

I would hope that as a gesture of goodwill, Hp would offer replacement keys to all Prime owners who request them, to reward the loyalty of those who purchased early Primes, particularly the NW model which later had the promised connectivity dropped

Just my 2 cents worth.

RE: find the "seven" differences - DrD - 08-10-2016 09:26 AM

I wonder if it would be reasonable for hp to provide an upgrade key kit, (with instructions), for sale to end users? That way we could at least get the keypad visibility, a significant issue for me, fixed.

"Reasonable" would have to mean an upgrade that end users could easily perform, at a price that makes the upgrade worth the effort. I keep a nice picture of the keyboard handy for use with the hardware prime. Some of those key legends are barely visible, and certainly difficult to locate when visually scanning the keys for a specific item.

-Dale-

RE: find the "seven" differences - Jean-Michel - 08-10-2016 11:10 AM

Cool... for new buyers. For all of us who already got one (or more!), a replacement solution would really be helpful.

New revision of the emulator with similar new skin in the line ?

Regards.

RE: find the "seven" differences - toml_12953 - 08-10-2016 12:01 PM

(08-09-2016 03:25 PM)deachp Wrote:  I have received a new lot of HP Prime calculators and then...

[Image: hp_prime_version_3.jpg]

Would you mind posting the serial # of the newer one (some people don't like to do that)? I'd like to find one from the new batch so if we knew yours we could specify one later than that.

Tom L

RE: find the "seven" differences - René Franquinet - 08-10-2016 12:40 PM

Okay, this problem concerns keys and colours. Every specialized HMI person could have told you what was/is wrong with the colours used till now. But more important is the not declining list of bugs and complaints about the HP Prime. And these affect the raison d'etre of this device: a programmable calculator.
If someone out there would start a crowd funding for the creation of a real WP34S (not an HP30B in another form with sticked key overlays), I would be the first to contribute to it.

RE: find the "seven" differences - Dirk.nl - 08-10-2016 07:52 PM

Yes René, to make the Prime bugs free is the most important issue for HP. Not the key colors and not new features. After new features we get also new bugs, can be implemented later after a bugs free update.
We (buyers/users) all together are HP's client and we spent a lot of money to buy the HP Primes. We as client of HP expect an official statement with, a) excuses and/or an explanation why it is not possible to make bugs free software, b) a planning for the next bugs free update. In my opinion it's a bad attitude of HP to ignore/not inform there clients. This makes me so angry!
My advise to students, don't buy a HP Prime.

I was so happy with R10077, input statement bugs were solved but other bugs were introduced!

RE: find the "seven" differences - Stevetuc - 08-11-2016 08:14 AM

(08-10-2016 07:52 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Yes René, to make the Prime bugs free is the most important issue for HP. Not the key colors and not new features. After new features we get also new bugs, can be implemented later after a bugs free update.
We (buyers/users) all together are HP's client and we spent a lot of money to buy the HP Primes. We as client of HP expect an official statement with, a) excuses and/or an explanation why it is not possible to make bugs free software, b) a planning for the next bugs free update. In my opinion it's a bad attitude of HP to ignore/not inform there clients. This makes me so angry!
My advise to students, don't buy a HP Prime.

I was so happy with R10077, input statement bugs were solved but other bugs were introduced!

I guess it depends. If it's not possible to see the keys without strong light, and in my case, removing my glasses and holding the prime closer so I can see the legends, then this becomes a very important bug which affects every aspect of use!
This thread is important to all those in a similar position hoping Hp will provide a button upgrade option.
Software bugs are of course a continuing issue, and have many threads devoted to them.

RE: find the "seven" differences - DrD - 08-11-2016 10:18 AM

It's ironic that hp might pride itself in technological evolution, with this clear example of the progenitors of hp being vastly superior to the product development teams that have descended. For those of us old enough to remember the pride of hp products of old, (and for us youngsters still using them!), it must be embarrassing to see how little concern hp has for quality values, anymore.

The very face of the hp prime product speaks loudly of what is to follow, and while the support team may have enthusiasm in each area of responsibility, the face of the physical calculator, and the problems it masks internally, are not something that the hp logo used to represent, or that hp would have been proud to offer. If you need to see the keys, buy a version X+1 product. All earlier versions are just alpha version mock ups, and the lack of concern is just a disappointing sign of the times.

If I were product manager, I would, at the very least, provide an upgrade key kit for in-warranty devices, and offer a refurbished-exchange program for out of warranty devices. The good will generated by this simple process, would have much greater payback for hp overall, than the simple accounting cost of implementation reveals.

What would an appropriate mission statement be for hp, today?

-Dale-

RE: find the "seven" differences - Fortin - 08-11-2016 02:15 PM

Dale,

Having used both key color designs alternatively for quite some time, I'd have to say that the new keys are a significant improvement. That said, I don't feel like I'm going backward, and sometimes I don't even notice, when reverting to the previous colors. Much of my indifference is the result of the logical key placement in functional groups of rows and columns. Someone clearly spent significant time on the key layout.

I'd be pleased if HP were to offer an upgrade kit... even at cost. But I'm not sure if I'd install them with urgency.

Out of curiosity, if this had been a 'Prime SE+' with a different part number and other upgrades, would your opinion remain the same? Should HP have waited for such a release? Personally, I'd thank them for making an improvement such as this prior to a major hardware release.

RE: find the "seven" differences - DrD - 08-11-2016 02:53 PM

(08-11-2016 02:15 PM)Fortin Wrote:  Dale,

Out of curiosity, if this had been a 'Prime SE+' with a different part number and other upgrades, would your opinion remain the same? Should HP have waited for such a release? Personally, I'd thank them for making an improvement such as this prior to a major hardware release.

In my opinion, I think you've both asked and answered that question suitably. For many years, I've used many kinds of hp equipment, in addition to calculators over the years. Hp products were par excellence, always. With previous hardware prime's, not only is the key contrast difficult, but there is a key contrast between old hp and new hp design philosophy that is sub-par excellence. This contrast reflects badly on both.

Given the available key color change, and the near consensus opinion of the older color scheme, as well as the state of the current firmware, do you feel that the hp prime hardware is a product that meets an overall expectation of excellence?

-Dale-

RE: find the "seven" differences - Stevetuc - 08-11-2016 04:37 PM

(08-11-2016 03:47 PM)compsystems Wrote:  sorry, Google translator

ENG: The hp-prime calculator is a good product, has greatly improved its firmware in a short time since the launch. CAS has evolved, note that any CAS are not perfect. CAS take 50 years as MAXIMA, REDUCES, a CAS is an expert system in algebra . born as an application of artificial intelligence AI 1960, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra_system

1: I want a better integration of the CAS and the History-HOME

For example I do not accept to be displayed in the history commands of the same name but differing in capital letters Lowercase see first attached image.

apparently seen in history that a command returns two different responses, the image on the internet, does not speak well of the product

Example #1:

list1 := {{1,2},{3,4},{5,6},{7,8}} → {{1,2},{3,4},{5,6},{7,8}}

ans1 := list1^2 → {{1,2},{3,4},{5,6},{7,8}}^2 → ans1 := {{1,4},{9,16},{25,36},{49,64}} // list parallel processing
type(ans1) → DOM_LIST // ok, Confirms that it is a list
TYPE(ans1) → 6 // ok, Confirms that it is a list
dim(ans1) → [4,2] // ok, as the object of the list has matrix dimension (rectangular), calculate its size {n, m}
DIM(ans1) → {{1,1},{1,1},{1,1},{1,1}} // ok, one element in each element

2: improve legible print, subscript matrix shown even in linear format

---------
SPN:
La calculadora hp-prime es un buen producto, ha mejorado mucho su firmware en poco tiempo, desde su lanzamiento. el CAS ha evolucionado, tenga en cuenta que ningún CAS es perfecto. los CAS llevan 50 años como MAXIMA, REDUCE, un CAS trata de ser un sistema experto en álgebra, nació como una aplicación de inteligencia artificial IA

Yo quiero una mejor integracion del CAS y HOME en el Historial

1: Por ejemplo no acepto que se muestre en el historial los comandos de igual nombre pero que difieren en las mayúsculas que las minúsculas ver primer imagen anexa.

aparentemente se ve en el historial que un comando retorna dos respuestas diferentes, esta imagen en la internet, no habla muy bien del producto

2: mejorar la impresión legible, subindices de matrices se muestran aun en formato lineal

Can't see why you posted this here?

RE: find the "seven" differences - Stevetuc - 08-11-2016 05:16 PM

(08-11-2016 05:13 PM)compsystems Wrote:  
Quote:Can't see why you posted this here?

The original title was the differences between hardware, then he veered software (firmware)

May I respectfully suggest you start a new thread for your firmware feature requests

RE: find the "seven" differences - StephenG1CMZ - 08-11-2016 05:52 PM

(08-09-2016 04:24 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Great! Finally an example of the color change in the wild. Basically, 3 things happened.

1. Orange print color was changed
  2. Blue color on the lower part of the keyboard changed
  3. Grey on the numerical keys was lightened

This is what I'd wanted it to look like in the very beginning (within the "must use blue and orange" design requirement). Unfortunately, I was not the one making the decision then. :-)

Glad to see that improvement!

One concern: If you compare the two photos, as well as the keys looking much clearer, the screen also looks different to me - which might lead some to wonder to what extent the keys are clearer, rather than merely the photograph.

Is there any way of ordering the new ones - or getting an old one at a discount?

RE: find the "seven" differences - Tim Wessman - 08-11-2016 06:18 PM

(08-11-2016 05:52 PM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  One concern: If you compare the two photos, as well as the keys looking much clearer, the screen also looks different to me - which might lead some to wonder to what extent the keys are clearer, rather than merely the photograph.

There appears to be a screen cover the OP has placed on the left one unless I am mistaken. I think that is probably the difference.