HP Forums
HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP-41 Games Library ready at last. (/thread-6355.html)

HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - Ángel Martin - 06-05-2016 07:07 AM

After a couple of months of research and consolidation I think the GAMES LIBRARY is ready to go public: here's a set of modules with much of the games contributions ever published in PPC, DataFile, and a selection from the SwapDisks and other sources.

In addition to the very many original authors, big thanks go to Jackie Woldering for his superb work providing bar codes for PPC programs - this compilation would have taken forever without those!

Some modules already existed before but now have additional contents or changes from the previous versions (this is the case for the Adventure modules, ADV_1 and ADV_2). The others are new images, roughly grouped by type or precedence although not very rigorously. Some other modules remain unchanged, like the FUNSTUFF, TREKKIES, CHESS, RUBIKs, etc.

You'll find all those classic games you heard of and maybe played before, plus a few more not so well known. Of particular interest are the MCODE games in the RAWGAMES module, written by C. Vallance and taken from DataFile - a real discovery. It also includes the recent contributions from this forum, MANCALA and GALAXIS.

Attached is the Library Index with the listing of all programs included, with Authors and other data. This index also includes other GAMES modules, like the original Games Pac and solutions books. The statistics speaks for itself: About 505+ FAT entries spread across 16 Modules, adding up to 156kb - or 39 4k-ROM images in total.

Some modules are already available at TOS and the CL_IMDB - and the new ones will soon be there as well.

Have fun!
'AM

RE: HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - Gene - 06-14-2016 09:01 PM

Angel:

What's on the GAMX - Explore Games rom ?

and was there an update to the Basic Rom? Both show dates of June 2016 with updates on Monte's memory reference.

RE: HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - Ángel Martin - 06-15-2016 03:38 AM

(06-14-2016 09:01 PM)Gene Wrote:  What's on the GAMX - Explore Games rom ?

It's mostly Bruce Bailey's EXPLORE adventure game, published in PPCCJ - don't have the exact reference at hand right now. It's huge plus it includes several "make file" routines also very large, hence the 8k-footprint needed. Plus another adventure-style game (in French) from the Swap Disks - unknown author, like many other found there. I suspect those in French come from the Toulouse chapter, does anybody know for sure?

(06-14-2016 09:01 PM)Gene Wrote:  and was there an update to the Basic Rom? Both show dates of June 2016 with updates on Monte's memory reference.

Yes, I added the Basic Interpreter written by Erik Christensen, from PPCCJ V11N2p10 - plus the "FIFTH" program -'PPCCJ V11N2p5 - March 1984, by D. Cody Kyrobie

Cheers,
ÁM

Edited: here's the reference for EXPLORE: PPCCJ v12n3P4 - March 1985
see the updated index attached.

RE: HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - David Hayden - 11-25-2017 02:38 AM

Angel,

Thanks for putting this together. I was very pleasantly surprised to see my own "hunt the wompus" game included.

If I'm reading this right, programs that use the RNG function won't work on a 41CL unless it has a time module. Is that correct? When I execute RNG it always returns 0.

Dave

RE: HP-41 Games Library ready at last. - Ángel Martin - 11-25-2017 06:48 AM

(11-25-2017 02:38 AM)David Hayden Wrote:  Thanks for putting this together. I was very pleasantly surprised to see my own "hunt the wompus" game included.

My pleasure, and thank you for writing it - I hope the credits in the pdf duly reflect your authorship, I should re-check!

(11-25-2017 02:38 AM)David Hayden Wrote:  If I'm reading this right, programs that use the RNG function won't work on a 41CL unless it has a time module. Is that correct? When I execute RNG it always returns 0.

That's a good question, yes it's correct: the time registers (where the value is fetched from) actually reside in the Time module, so it needs to be present.

Best,
ÁM