HP Forums
Plotting CAS expressions with the Function App [SOLVED] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Plotting CAS expressions with the Function App [SOLVED] (/thread-6184.html)

Plotting CAS expressions with the Function App [SOLVED] - JMB - 05-01-2016 10:20 AM

Using the ilapalce command in CAS, I have obtained an expression in the variable t.

Now I want to plot this function using the Function App, so I run the App and import the CAS expression pressing the Menu key and selecting Get from CAS. Then, before pressing Ok I have to manually substitute X for t all over the expression, because X is the only variable name accepted by the Function App.

What I'd like to knows is if there is an easer way to substitute X for t in CAS before switching to the Function App, or inside the Function App.

The command subst(expression, t=X) does not work because X is a real variable with default value 0.

RE: Plotting CAS expressions with the Function App - cdecastro - 05-01-2016 11:31 AM

In CAS mode, take the expression you get and store it in F1(x) with the lower case x. The entire expression will be translated to one in terms of X in the Function window (Home mode). The Home/CAS disconnect continually frustrates me. I understand that we have do disjoint systems (developed essentially independently) that do not interact seemlessly - but I sure wish they did. Hope this helps.

Chris

P.S. #1 - I did not address the t to x conversion. Just use subst(expression, t=x) then store the result.

P.S. #2 - You don't need to perform the substitution, you can just use t and the t to x conversion will be made automatically. (e.g. w+1 -> F1(w) will be translated and stored as x + 1 -> F1(x)

RE: Plotting CAS expressions with the Function App - JMB - 05-01-2016 01:12 PM

Thanks Chris, that's exactly the kind of automatic substitution that I was looking for.

Josep.