HP Forums
HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? (/thread-6000.html)

HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? - isanchez - 04-06-2016 02:18 PM

Dear friends,

In my hp97 printer, one of the small guides attached to the frame, that holds the transparent plastic "display" is broken, so this plastic part does not keep in place, as the paper advances...a bit annoying.

I have just a frame from an HP41 printer in good shape. Apparently both look the same, except in the area where the printer header contacts with the paper. In the HP41 printer there is a small white sheet over a rubber band...this seems more "evolved" design from the 97. This apparently looks like the only (small?) difference between them.

The question is: can I use this frame for the HP97 printer? Do have any experience on this?
My intention is only to use this frame, mounting all the 97 printer stuff: header, motor, gears, rolls, axis, etc.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Kind regards


RE: HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? - Paul Berger (Canada) - 04-06-2016 02:57 PM

Yes they are basically the same, in my experience I found that even though some of the hardware changed between the topcats and the 82143A / 82162A all the necessary holes are still in the frame to mount the topcat printer hardware. There are a couple protrusions on the 82143A / 82162A frame that you will need to trim off to get it to fit the topcat case.

edit: I transferred everything from the topcat printer frame including platen, you will need to transfer over the axle for the idler gear as well it comes out the inside of the frame but there are some parts in there that need to be removed to get at it, but I don't recall exactly what right now.

RE: HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? - isanchez - 04-06-2016 05:24 PM

(sorry what does "Platen" mean? is it the transparent removable plastic part?...nice word to learn...sorry for my English)

Regards and thanks again


RE: HP97-HP41 printers frame interchangeable? - Paul Berger (Canada) - 04-06-2016 06:01 PM

The platen is the part behind the paper that the print head presses the paper against, item 14 in figure 6-2 on page 6-5 of the 97 service guide. Looking at that picture it seems to me that what I had to shave off the frame was a fork like the one the rubber isolation mounts fit into that is higher up on the left side of the printer frame, but I am sure you will see what it is when you try to put the printer in.