HP Forums
oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? (/thread-5994.html)

oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-06-2016 01:28 AM

Saw on TAS a new HP41 module I've not seen anywhere else. I checked the Systemyde list, and the HP41 module PDF list noted on this site and, granted my near senior eyes aren't what they used to be, but I sure didn't see it listed.

[drum roll]

so, anyone ever heard of a

MERVA ROM

???????

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-06-2016 02:50 AM

Jumped thru some hoops and got a CAT 2 listing:

VP
START
REPEAT
HV
HH
V
VIEWER
SITE
COMPARE
RUNSET
RUN
DATA
DATA2
TBS
TBM
TBL
TBX
S
M
L
?
PR
EE
TIMER
STOPP
STAT
SET
HELP
A1
MERVA ROM

Maybe it's a revision or update of something already documented?

Love a good mystery, and this might be one.

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-06-2016 02:54 AM

Let me add, there are no HP #s on the module housing, and the label on the end is gone.

Poo!

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - jebem - 04-06-2016 07:33 AM

(04-06-2016 01:28 AM)TASP Wrote:  Saw on TAS a new HP41 module I've not seen anywhere else. I checked the Systemyde list, and the HP41 module PDF list noted on this site and, granted my near senior eyes aren't what they used to be, but I sure didn't see it listed.

[drum roll]

so, anyone ever heard of a

MERVA ROM

???????

When I worked for Wang Computers I supported our SWIFT bank financial messaging system running on the Wang VS systems at our bank customers.
These banks were using the IBM MERVA system on their mainframes before moving to our system. Later, after Wang went chapter 11, they went back to IBM MERVA.
IBM MERVA was released in early 80's and had a few cross platform modules, but I really don't know if this is related to that 41 ROM.

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-06-2016 01:08 PM

Hmmm, banking communications, rather prosaic, no ?

LOL!

Well, 'Merva' is a pretty rare term, and you found something, and it is very much appreciated!!

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - jebem - 04-06-2016 02:01 PM

(04-06-2016 01:08 PM)TASP Wrote:  Hmmm, banking communications, rather prosaic, no ?

LOL!

Well, 'Merva' is a pretty rare term, and you found something, and it is very much appreciated!!

Well, besides the messaging system by itself, there are a lot more operations dealing with the financial messages, like message handling per type, reconciliation, reporting, payments processing, etc..
These operations typically are handled by complementary systems connected by some way to the main SWIFT messaging system, be it by a network or by file copy.

Our Wang SAFE product could connect directly to the SWIFT network and do most of the messaging processing, but still needed to pass some messages types to other systems for further custom processing, like the payment processing.

Where does a HP-41 comes in this picture?
I really don't know and don't see it as something that a bank would want to do.
But hey, many bank people still use financial calculators despite having a computer at their desks, so...

Just guessing from here:
Considering that the HP-41 has a network capability, it could receive files with specific SWIFT messages types for "portable" processing by small banks or financial institutions that may not see the need to have a full blown SWIFT messaging system.
Who knows...

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - Didier Lachieze - 04-06-2016 03:05 PM

Here is another reference that may be linked to this MERVA ROM:

Quote:Velocity Permeameter
The velocity permeameter estimates the field saturated hydraulic conductivity of the soil contained inside a metal cylinder driven into the soil in either the vertical or horizontal direction. A copyrighted computer program for a hand-held HP-41 calculator with a time module was used to calculate the apparent saturated hydraulic conductivity as the measurements are taken. Installation and operation of the computer program were based on instructions obtained directly from Dr. Merva (Written communication, 1988).

Extract from: Transactions of the ASAE., Volume 33, Issues 4-6; Volumes 4-6
American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 1990

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - Dave Britten - 04-06-2016 05:01 PM

Are you able to GTO any of those labels and review the keystroke code, or are they all ML/synthetics?

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-06-2016 05:05 PM

The CAT 2 listing implies use of the TIME module, and a specific mention of a Dr. Merva in association with HP41 program would seem to be a strong clincher.

Very interesting, thanx !!

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - TASP - 04-07-2016 02:08 PM

Is it OK if I post this here ??

Previously uncatalogued ROM is kind of a novel situation for me, and this experience has been very exciting!!

If problem mods please take care of thanx !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222074482167?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - Ángel Martin - 04-09-2016 03:03 PM

Sounds intriguing. Would you consider posting the ROM image so we can take a crack at its insights? That could help decipher the rhyme and reason of the module...

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - rprosperi - 05-10-2023 07:44 PM

I just acquired one of these modules, installed on a ZENGRANGE EPROM module. I tried to examine about 10 of the programs, all are FOCAL but also PRIVATE.

@Angel - If you are still interested in an image of the ROM, just say so, I'll extract it and send it over for your examination.

RE: oofda! A new HP41 module discovery ?? - born2laser - 05-11-2023 01:58 AM

Very intriguing, a little Googling led me to find Dr. Merva's PhD Thesis online and more to the point of this discussion a book chapter that appear to be related to the module in question and has some mathematical background for those interested

https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=s9eE6U8EpUwC&oi=fnd&pg=PA151&dq=george+merva&ots=pa1cblRoUn&sig=cXR1wNy8oQ_h-D6ENlsJ93O2eTU#v=onepage&q=george%20merva&f=false