HP Forums
Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers (/thread-5688.html)

Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers - Oleksandr - 02-15-2016 08:48 PM

Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?

RE: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers - Nigel (UK) - 02-15-2016 10:11 PM

(02-15-2016 08:48 PM)Oleksandr Wrote:  Hi everyone! On the image, it seems that the first equation is solved incorrectly. The second one has a correct answer, though it is identical except I moved a term to the left side... And more interesting, if I change one coefficient, an equation is solved correctly in both cases (third and fourth equations). Is it a bug, or am I missing something?

It looks to me as though all 4 solutions are correct. The first two look different but if you multiply top and bottom of the first answer by 1+2i it becomes the second answer.

Nigel (UK)

RE: Incorrect solving of an equation with complex numbers - Oleksandr - 02-16-2016 06:24 AM

You are absolutely right, I did not notice that in the first answer i is in the denominator. I should never do any math after full workday in the evening. Thank you Nigel Smile