HP Forums
Avatar max image size too small - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Issues and Administration (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Avatar max image size too small (/thread-51.html)

Avatar max image size too small - Jerry - 12-12-2013 05:05 PM

The max Avatar image size of 10k is really too small. How about 100k? I cant get any image small enough to be usable

RE: Avatar max image size too small - Dave Hicks - 12-12-2013 05:18 PM

I just posted a screen shot over in the Unicode thread that is 360 pixels wide by 199 pixels tall - much larger than any avatar - yet it's only 4.26KB!

RE: Avatar max image size too small - Jerry - 12-12-2013 05:24 PM

OK I figured out a way. I re saved the .jpg file without the EXIF data. Saved about 8k of file size.

RE: Avatar max image size too small - bhtooefr - 12-12-2013 06:15 PM

(12-12-2013 05:18 PM)Dave Hicks Wrote:  I just posted a screen shot over in the Unicode thread that is 360 pixels wide by 199 pixels tall - much larger than any avatar - yet it's only 4.26KB!

However, that image has a lot of easily compressible white space, whereas a photo does not.

RE: Avatar max image size too small - Dave Hicks - 12-12-2013 07:00 PM

Yeah, I posted that as a GIF since that's a format that does well with "computer generated stuff".

For photos, I would use jpg. I just grabbed a photo of my dog, resized it to avatar size, and output it as jpeg, and with default settings it it came out as 2782 bytes.

With heavy jpeg compression I can get it under a kilobyte, though the compression artifacts really show. At a compression that yields about 1.5K, I can see the difference from the original if I look closely.

I just grabbed another picture of a person, cropped it to his face. scaled it to avatar size, sharpened, and the default jpeg output is 2896 bytes. If I compress it to about 1900 bytes, I start seeing the difference if I look for it.

Grabbed a calculator shot, resized, sharpened, output size with defaults is 2975 bytes.

So I'm not seeing any 10KB limit issues yet.