HP Forums
How do you show off your calculators? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: How do you show off your calculators? (/thread-4818.html)

Pages: 1 2

How do you show off your calculators? - jebem - 09-27-2015 04:32 PM

I have bought a set of vitrines at my local IKEA shop. It came with just 4 shelves, so I went to the local Leroy Merlin and ordered an additional set of 4 glass shelves to take advantage of the available space.

Results were good enough to be accepted by my other half, despite I compromised a little by accepting a palm tree as a ornamentation. Although I start to like the palm tree there.

[Image: vitrina_002.jpg] [Image: vitrina_003.jpg]

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - smp - 09-27-2015 04:47 PM

Hey, that's pretty fancy! Very nice.

I do not have such a large collection as you do, so I no not have much of anything to show off. My vintage computers, though...

smp

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Frido Bohn - 09-27-2015 04:49 PM

Until now I didn't dare to threaten my wife with an open exposure of my collection in such central areas like the living room. Your example may serve as a blueprint for future decorations that are not so every day as usual.
Thanks for sharing!

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Katie Wasserman - 09-27-2015 04:50 PM

Very nice!

Quite similar to what I did too. Here are some pictures from years ago. The cases came with just a few shelves and I bought more then set them in at an angle to better show the calculators.

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Hlib - 09-27-2015 07:11 PM

I am arguing the opposite style. Why not?

[Image: d8b521cda122t.jpg]

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - TASP - 09-28-2015 03:27 AM

R'uh r'oh !!

Having another CAS flare up !!!!

Sad

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - david sanz - 09-28-2015 06:27 AM

I do not show them, but I hide them in style Smile . I bought one stilish storage box, more or less like these:

[Image: Storage-box-latte-suede.jpg]

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - jebem - 10-03-2015 07:43 PM

Thank you all for your feedback.

(09-27-2015 04:47 PM)smp Wrote:  I do not have such a large collection as you do, so I no not have much of anything to show off. My vintage computers, though...

Vintage computers are a fantastic hobby if one has the time, space and money to start a collection. When you have the time, please share it here.

I have just one Sanyo MBC-1150 stored in the basement that was a leftover from one IT company where I worked for in the 80's.
I had a few more vintage desktop computers but sold them when I moved to this apartment where the space is at premium.

(09-27-2015 04:49 PM)Frido Bohn Wrote:  Until now I didn't dare to threaten my wife with an open exposure of my collection in such central areas like the living room.

Basically, I sold her this idea that these devices can be a good money investment, better than having the money in the Bank.
I had to gently insinuate this idea to her during the past years, first with my transistor and valve (in USA, tube) radios, and then with my calculators.

(09-27-2015 04:50 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Quite similar to what I did too. Here are some pictures from years ago.

What a fantastic vintage collection!
And classy furniture too.
Thanks for sharing.

(09-27-2015 07:11 PM)Hlib Wrote:  I am arguing the opposite style. Why not?

Так / Да / Yes, good point!
A calculator is just another tool.

I keep my work calculator (HP PRIME) inside a drawer mixed with a couple of other non related tools as well.

(09-28-2015 06:27 AM)david sanz Wrote:  I do not show them, but I hide them in style Smile

I tried that approach initially, but then I felt the calculators were missing my frequent caring Smile

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Haycock - 10-03-2015 10:20 PM

That is a very nice collection Jebem

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Sukiari - 10-04-2015 03:30 AM

I don't have a case or anything. I often get scientific or graphing calculators for a few bucks, clean the corrosion, and give 'em to my wife who is a math teacher.

The keepers are stashed around the house, on the bookshelves, by my computer or ham station. Most people couldn't care less but some of my more technically inclined buddies like 'em.

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Sukiari - 10-04-2015 03:31 AM

(09-27-2015 07:11 PM)Hlib Wrote:  I am arguing the opposite style. Why not?

[Image: d8b521cda122t.jpg]

I even keep a 48G in the room where you normally store magazines...

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - vk6ti - 10-04-2015 07:43 AM

I am in the process of putting all my HP red led calcs etc ( HP41 an exception) in a custom display cabinet, and sorting them out, about 4 boxes worth, it is taking longer that I thought, here is one box.
on the front row will be HP35 V1, V2, V3, V4
Also sorting some other old triode tubes
The Ikea display cabinet is a real good choice

Happy collecting
Ray

RE: How do you show of your calculators? - Gerald H - 10-04-2015 08:32 AM

It might help language learners if you changed "of" in the title of the thread to "off".

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - jebem - 10-04-2015 12:45 PM

(10-04-2015 08:32 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  It might help language learners if you changed "of" in the title of the thread to "off".

Done.
Thanks, Gerald.

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Accutron - 10-04-2015 03:55 PM

I keep the big calculators out on display, either on shelves or behind glass in a large trophy case. Most of those are comptometers and ten key four-bangers. Small/awesome things are stored in very heavy steel filing cabinets where they can cower in fear of excess photons.

[Image: collection2015_1sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_3sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_10sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_6sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_7sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_8sm.jpg]

Of course, collecting only calculators is just weird. There are so many other things with buttons.

[Image: collection2015_2sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_4sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_5sm.jpg] [Image: collection2015_9sm.jpg]

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Don Shepherd - 10-04-2015 05:13 PM

Wow, what a collection!

Is that an aircraft flight data recorder ("black box") in the last picture? The orange paint leads me to believe it might be.

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Accutron - 10-04-2015 07:00 PM

(10-04-2015 05:13 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Is that an aircraft flight data recorder ("black box") in the last picture? The orange paint leads me to believe it might be.

All of the orange and yellow things are flight data recorder related stuff. The orange bits were all part of a network of recording equipment used in structural stress testing of the Lockheed C-130 back in the 1960s. The large orange box in the foreground is a network box, and the silver shock-mounted thing further back is the actual recording oscillograph. The orange boxes were made by Technology Incorporated out of Dayton OH, and the oscillograph itself is a Century Electronics 409B.

The yellow box is a test set for a different flight data system used on the F-100 Super Sabre, and the black box in the foreground is the electronic turbine control from 747-123 cn 20103/65. The teletypewriter in the back is a Tracor AN/UGC-129. In one of the other photos, you can see a Giannini VGH recorder with tape cartridge, manufactured around 1962.

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Don Shepherd - 10-04-2015 11:07 PM

Thanks Accutron.

Fascinating.

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Dwight Sturrock - 10-08-2015 04:52 PM

Hidden in plain sight on my bookshelf

RE: How do you show off your calculators? - Siegfried - 10-14-2015 09:44 PM

Have to admit to belong to the "crammed drawer" faction as well. Living room display areas are reserved for stuff kids made and things considered "nicer" than calcs. Study is too crammed with stuff to set up display cases ;-o