HP Forums
German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Classifieds (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted (/thread-4675.html)

German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Martin Hepperle - 09-08-2015 02:03 PM

Hello,

if you have copies of the "Prisma" journal for 1986 and 1987 I would like to obtain copies of the HP 80s assembler articles.
I only have a copy of the article #4 in Prisma 1/1987 and would like to read the remaining articles in this series.

A readable b/w scan at 400 dpi or a photocopy sent by mail would be fine.

Martin

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Didier Lachieze - 09-08-2015 02:07 PM

Have you looked here?

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Martin Hepperle - 09-09-2015 07:00 AM

(09-08-2015 02:07 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Have you looked here?

Merci Didier - I had already checked these documents (I think they are also on TOS), but unfortunately they are only a subset of the journal.
Martin

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Jurgen Keller - 09-09-2015 06:35 PM

I just checked my PRISMA magazines for the Series 80 Assembler articles. Here is the list:
  • PRISMA 84/4 : Part 1
  • PRISMA 86/3 : Part 2
  • PRISMA 86/4 : Part 3
  • PRISMA 87/1 : Part 4

I could scan those pages and send you a PDF document. However, I cannot do it before the weekend. Let me know if this is acceptable for you ;-)

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Martin Hepperle - 09-10-2015 11:24 AM

(09-09-2015 06:35 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  I just checked my PRISMA magazines for the Series 80 Assembler articles. Here is the list:
  • PRISMA 84/4 : Part 1
  • PRISMA 86/3 : Part 2
  • PRISMA 86/4 : Part 3
  • PRISMA 87/1 : Part 4

I could scan those pages and send you a PDF document. However, I cannot do it before the weekend. Let me know if this is acceptable for you ;-)

Wah! completely unacceptable!

Jürgen, vielen Dank, that would be great (parts 1,2 and 3 would be sufficient, I already have part 4)

Maybe we (German speaking Europeans) should plan on making complete copies of all PRISMA issues available in the long run like we have it for the PPC journal.
I have access to a fast scanner/photocopier, but unfortunately I gave all my PRISMAS away to other collectors about 15 years ago.

Martin

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Jurgen Keller - 09-10-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:Maybe we (German speaking Europeans) should plan on making complete copies of all PRISMA issues available in the long run like we have it for the PPC journal.
I have access to a fast scanner/photocopier, but unfortunately I gave all my PRISMAS away to other collectors about 15 years ago.

This idea popped up in several e-mail exchanges I had with different people, but in the end it was never realized due to different reasons. Maybe the time has come to make it happen!

I'm not sure if my collection of PRISMA magazines is really complete. Does anybody know for sure which was the first/last issue? I will check my copies and provide a list. I'm also willing to borrow my magazines for scanning, and help in doing the job.

In my opinion it would be great to have searchable PDFs, i.e., OCR would also be a topic.

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Gerson W. Barbosa - 09-11-2015 12:25 AM

(09-10-2015 06:31 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  In my opinion it would be great to have searchable PDFs, i.e., OCR would also be a topic.

http://perlmeister.com/prisma.html

Edit: That's the same site suggested by Didier Lachieze. Sorry!

I've also parted with an almost complete local computer magazine collection from the 80's by wife's request, which I regret.

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - J-F Garnier - 09-11-2015 06:52 AM

(09-10-2015 11:24 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Maybe we (German speaking Europeans) should plan on making complete copies of all PRISMA issues available in the long run like we have it for the PPC journal.

In the same spirit, this is what hpmaniac (an eminent member of this forum known under an other name) started to do with the French PPC-T and JPC journals, with my modest contribution, see here.

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Martin Hepperle - 09-14-2015 02:44 PM

(09-10-2015 06:31 PM)Jurgen Keller Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe we (German speaking Europeans) should plan on making complete copies of all PRISMA issues available in the long run like we have it for the PPC journal.

This idea popped up in several e-mail exchanges I had with different people, but in the end it was never realized due to different reasons. Maybe the time has come to make it happen!

I'm not sure if my collection of PRISMA magazines is really complete. Does anybody know for sure which was the first/last issue? I will check my copies and provide a list. I'm also willing to borrow my magazines for scanning, and help in doing the job.

In my opinion it would be great to have searchable PDFs, i.e., OCR would also be a topic.

In the sense of long term preservation it would surely be good to have digital versions of the journal available.

As a test, I would volunteer to scan, say one to three years of PRISMA issues and run them through the OCR in Adobe Acrobat.
Scanning would be at 400 DPI for non-barcode pages and 600 DPI for barcode pages. That's what I used for the Heldermann books.

The OCR will probbaly not be fully satistactory as the system would create nothing useful from the many computer listings. For the normal text, however the results should be good enough. I have never seen a configurable OCR system suitable e.g. for HP-41 or BASIC or FORTRAN listings.

In the first step I am not sure that I could invest the time to bring everything together with clickable links etc. - this seems to be more of a job for retired people with more spare time... But the digitized and crosslinked PPC journals are an inspiration.

In a second step at least the tables of contents could be copied to a separate index file for quick reference.

I would be willing to pay the return shipping for a typical parcel postage for this testing (a small parcel at 2 kg may be 2-3 years of PRISMA?). If this works out well, we could decide to do more.

Martin

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Jurgen Keller - 09-14-2015 07:17 PM

Before continuing the discussion about scanning all the PRISMA issues let's go back to the original request, the Series 80 Assemblerkurs. Unfortunately, I only own a quite old flatbed scanner, so the quality is not perfect. Anyway I hope it serves your needs. You can download it here:
Series 80 Assemblerkurs (PRISMA) (PDF, 38.4 MB)

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Jurgen Keller - 09-14-2015 07:30 PM

(09-14-2015 02:44 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  As a test, I would volunteer to scan, say one to three years of PRISMA issues and run them through the OCR in Adobe Acrobat.

That's a great offer, and I'd happily share my copies with you. Shipping is no problem as I live near Konstanz and also have a post office box there. I'll send you a PM so we can arrange the details.

(09-14-2015 02:44 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  In the first step I am not sure that I could invest the time to bring everything together with clickable links etc. - this seems to be more of a job for retired people with more spare time... But the digitized and crosslinked PPC journals are an inspiration.

In my opinion, it would already be great to have searchable PDFs. All the extra goodies like links could be added later ...

RE: German "Prisma" Journal - selected articles scans wanted - Martin Hepperle - 09-23-2015 12:12 PM

Just for information:
  • scanning of the first volumes is in progress,
  • first volumes expected to be available for christmas 2015,
  • later we may ask for volunteers to produce files from the barcode listings to complete the conservation.

Martin