HP Forums
Google play Android network from activity? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Google play Android network from activity? (/thread-4640.html)

Google play Android network from activity? - StephenG1CMZ - 09-04-2015 10:56 AM

Within the last week I opened a Google Play account.
I only downloaded two Apps: HP Prime calculator and BBC News.
Both hopefully trustworthy. The BBC News App is configured not to "push" news at me.
About then a notification that 9 updates were needed appeared. I tapped that but didn't see any details, which was unusual. On previous phones details of the APPS would have appeared.

Before that the phone was OK.

Now whenever I go into town I keep seeing messages about the FTP connection being lost. But when I pull down the Notifications there is no sign of any activity.

Is this normal behaviour for a new a Android?
Is anyone else seeing this?

Should I assume that Google Play/Android are silently updating their software and hiding files, whilst giving no information about the Apps or relevant data usage?

Is it possible that one of my Apps is doing this?
To be clear:
I have seen nothing to indicate any failure to compile whilst offline.

Or should I assume my Android has a virus?

RE: Google play Android network from activity? - rprosperi - 09-04-2015 01:17 PM

(09-04-2015 10:56 AM)StephenG1CMZ Wrote:  Within the last week I opened a Google Play account.
I only downloaded two Apps: HP Prime calculator and BBC News.
Both hopefully trustworthy. The BBC News App is configured not to "push" news at me.
About then a notification that 9 updates were needed appeared. I tapped that but didn't see any details, which was unusual. On previous phones details of the APPS would have appeared.

Before that the phone was OK.

Now whenever I go into town I keep seeing messages about the FTP connection being lost. But when I pull down the Notifications there is no sign of any activity.

Is this normal behaviour for a new a Android?
Is anyone else seeing this?

Should I assume that Google Play/Android are silently updating their software and hiding files, whilst giving no information about the Apps or relevant data usage?

Is it possible that one of my Apps is doing this?
To be clear:
I have seen nothing to indicate any failure to compile whilst offline.

Or should I assume my Android has a virus?

It is totally normal for an Android phone to do updates almost every day. This depends of course on how many apps you have installed, but keep in mind that the phone comes with probably > 50 installed, many/most of which update themselves on a regular basis.

Go to the Play Store and find/select "My apps" (how to get there depends on version of Android, Mfr., etc.) but from there you can see what apps are installed and manually select and update or remove apps as you wish. If you are not sure, I would contact the carrier (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) to confirm it's OK to remove.

Keep in mind many apps are necessary for your phone to run properly, and also that many apps cannot be removed.

HTH

RE: Google play Android network from activity? - Katie Wasserman - 09-04-2015 03:59 PM

You can also turn off automatic app updates and if you "root" your phone you can turn off all the operating system updates too (and annoying reminders to accept the update). While you can't remove all the built in apps you can disable most of them and if you root the phone you can disable any/all of them.

I'm finally very happy with my Samsung S4 mini having rooted it and turned off every type of update and annoying message. It does exactly what I want and only what I want.

RE: Google play Android network from activity? - StephenG1CMZ - 11-27-2015 09:22 AM

I have just noticed this in WHATS NEW on the HP Prime entry in the play store.
NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE MESSAGE IS RESOLVED
So perhaps it was the HP Prime app rather than something else on the phone.