HP Forums
CAS Prognosis ?? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: CAS Prognosis ?? (/thread-4220.html)

Pages: 1 2

CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-24-2015 09:21 PM

Darn, I've been bitten by the bug and can't seem to shake it.

Is there any hope for me ??

LOL, just saw something, never even suspected HP ever made such a gadget (so therefore I cannot have a need for it, right?) and boom, I gotta have it!

Doomed, I say, we are all DOOMED !!

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Massimo Gnerucci - 06-24-2015 10:05 PM

(06-24-2015 09:21 PM)TASP Wrote:  Darn, I've been bitten by the bug and can't seem to shake it.

Is there any hope for me ??

LOL, just saw something, never even suspected HP ever made such a gadget (so therefore I cannot have a need for it, right?) and boom, I gotta have it!

Doomed, I say, we are all DOOMED !!

There's hope: after 17 years I am starting to recover. :)

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-24-2015 10:57 PM

Why does acquiring cool stuff not sate my desire for more ???

I was (surprisingly) enamored with my HP80, then an HP65 turns up mysteriously in the mail box, and, wow, I have a new favorite.

{sigh}

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Dave Britten - 06-25-2015 01:30 AM

CAS = Calculator-Assisted Suicide? (The financial sort.) Make sure you at least get a 10B so you can calculate IRR and NPV of all your cash outflows!

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-25-2015 03:58 AM

I have FI on 2 PPCRoms, an HP80, 2 Advantage Roms, a Home Management pac, the Financial 1 pac, the GMAC Financing pac and the advice I get here is to go buy another calculator ??

Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I can see that,

Thanx !!

Wink

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - ElectroDuende - 06-25-2015 11:50 AM

(06-25-2015 03:58 AM)TASP Wrote:  I have FI on 2 PPCRoms, an HP80, 2 Advantage Roms, a Home Management pac, the Financial 1 pac, the GMAC Financing pac and the advice I get here is to go buy another calculator ??

Come on, it's a cheap one... it won't hurt...

:-D

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-25-2015 01:16 PM

Just to be sure, though, maybe I should also get an HP70, a 22, 12, 10BII, 37E, 38E, 92, 14, 17B, 18C, and maybe a few others ??

I want to be well prepared for this . . .

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - BartDB - 06-25-2015 04:01 PM

(06-25-2015 01:16 PM)TASP Wrote:  Just to be sure, though, maybe I should also get an HP70, a 22, 12, 10BII, 37E, 38E, 92, 14, 17B, 18C, and maybe a few others ??

I want to be well prepared for this . . .

Not to forget different versions of a type, e.g. the HP-41: tall keys, half nut, blank nut etc. Or the Pioneers had different bezels around the display and the 32S & 14B had anniversary editions

So the list goes on...

Happy hunting Wink

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-25-2015 05:28 PM

Poo !!

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-29-2015 07:21 PM

WP-34s came in the mail today !!!!!

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 06-29-2015 07:28 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, the gadget I alluded to in the OP came today too.

It is a stand alone charger housing for the 82143 (etal) battery pack. I don't have to charge any batteries in the actual device they go in now. I appreciate the info here about the dangers (sometimes) of chargers going bad and frying stuff. I don't want to go there.

The charger housing accepts the regular 82143 wall adapter, and looks nice next to the official HP N cell charger, and the classic series battery pack charger.

Could a wonky wall adapter damage an 82163 (or similar device) ??

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Dave Frederickson - 06-29-2015 11:41 PM

(06-29-2015 07:28 PM)TASP Wrote:  It is a stand alone charger housing for the 82143 (etal) battery pack.

AKA the HP 82037A Reserve Power Pack. It's documented along with a schematic in the HP-97 Service Manual, Section 5-13.

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 07-09-2015 02:20 AM

Interested in opinions on how others look at the HP67.

What I'm wondering about is how to classify the 67. I'm aware the technology is more like the HP2X series, appearance wise, it is in a 'classic' body. As an 'incremental' step between the 65 and the 41 (with optional card reader), to me it doesn't seem to break too much new ground.

I've managed to snag all the other 'classics' and despite my CAS, I'm just not really itching to have a 67. I'm not collecting other machines in the 20 series (other than my original 25 and the 25C recreation which is ubercool) so the technology of the 67 isn't something I don't have. I admit really loving the 80, but when the 65 turned up, that became my fun 'old timer' to carry around all the time. Still, the 67 is in the 'classic' housing, and there is room in the display case . . .

Despite my first HP being a 25, I don't seem to have much interest in collecting the 20 series. I have an old HP brochure that shows all the 'classics' except the HP67, and it includes a 21. I have a 'mostly' working 70 now (need to clean the keyboard of what looks like dried ice cream) and it really is striking with the orange keys. I'm just not having that 'jump off the page' feeling with the 67.

Not sure if I want you all to encourage me to go ahead and get a 67, or to all discourage it.

I'd appreciate hearing how others look at the 67, it's turned into a funny thing here, so far, if in doubt, I just went ahead and snagged something, now, it's not so clear for this model.

Appreciate any and all views.

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Dave Britten - 07-09-2015 02:27 AM

Personally, I think if you've got a 41, there's not a lot of need for a 67. Same with the 65, but it's got the coolness factor of being the first handheld programmable that makes it still worth owning.

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 07-09-2015 04:46 AM

Oh yeah, the coolness factor of the 65 is really intense. I don't really use it much, just stare at it. I take it with me most everywhere. And it is a blast to have one of each of the other classics.

As for the 41, I have 6 and 3 card readers to go with them.

Wink

I think I've noted before, back in the 70s, I was really enamored with the 55. Part of it was probably price related, the $795 for the HP65 was just way beyond my means then. Even the $395 for the HP55 was pretty unattainable, but until the HP25 was released it was the one I had my eye on. Now, decades later, I have a 55 and I find it . . . lacking somehow. The HP41 just trumps it on all counts.

(and no, I'm not going to run out and get a Prime)

Smile

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Massimo Gnerucci - 07-09-2015 05:31 AM

(07-09-2015 02:20 AM)TASP Wrote:  I've managed to snag all the other 'classics' and despite my CAS, I'm just not really itching to have a 67. I'm not collecting other machines in the 20 series (other than my original 25 and the 25C recreation which is ubercool) so the technology of the 67 isn't something I don't have. I admit really loving the 80, but when the 65 turned up, that became my fun 'old timer' to carry around all the time. Still, the 67 is in the 'classic' housing, and there is room in the display case . . .

Despite your desperate attempt to fool yourself... you know you have to have it.

That CAS is not something to be taken lightly. :)

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 07-09-2015 02:22 PM

Poo !!

It is a little funny despite the CAS I have different levels of 'affection' for the various members of the herd. I think the rarity of the 70, and the striking (how about wonky?) color scheme really make it stand out. It also looks like just a little TLC and it will be fine, making it quite a deal in getting it. I just wanted something for the display case, and it looks like it is going to work just fine.

The ad copy I have for the 70 is curious too. It came out after the 80, but with a reduced function set for cost reasons. That isn't something you really want to stress obviously in the adverts. So they play up the utility of what's left. They don't talk about the color scheme, but the full color picture is eye catching.

That the 67 isn't jumping out at me might mean I haven't noted a 'hook' of some kind on it. What is that compelling little particle I haven't noticed yet that makes special ?

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Dave Britten - 07-09-2015 03:02 PM

Perhaps the funny alarm card trick that Joe mentions here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bdTsaT0tc

Other than that, I think the 41 has you pretty well covered, and you can easily achieve the same goal as the alarm card using the TONE or BEEP instructions instead.

Now, if we were talking about a nice 97, that would be another matter...

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - TASP - 07-09-2015 03:22 PM

Desktop machines don't have appeal to me. No matter how big the function/feature set, there is just an air of clunkiness to some big bruiser machine sitting on the desk that invokes my dad back in the 60s trying to figure out the tax return.

A handheld with paper tape on the other hand . . . . .

RE: CAS Prognosis ?? - Dave Frederickson - 07-09-2015 03:29 PM

(07-09-2015 03:02 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Now, if we were talking about a nice 97, that would be another matter...

A 97 is a nice addition to one's collection. Compatible with the 67 in a desktop size. Smile

TASP: You like to trick-out your calculators. Have you considered upgrading your 25 with PANAMATIK's Extended ACT chip or even the IR version?

Dave