HP Forums
Wolfram Alpha - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wolfram Alpha (/thread-4014.html)

Wolfram Alpha - Jean-Michel - 05-29-2015 11:11 AM

Hello all

after a long period of time of no use of the above mentionned web site, I entered a quadratic equation yesterday to show the site to a co-worker and surprisingly I got just about nothing as a result, whereas I do remember being astonished by all it was able to offer in the past.
On the contrary, invitations to subscribe to the "Pro" version were dispatched all around the screen...
Did I miss something in the meantime? Is WA no more available as free version? Or is it "me"?
Waiting for your feedback.
Kind regards.

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Marcio - 05-29-2015 12:14 PM

Seems to be working just as fine here:

Solve this definite integral for me!

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Martin Hepperle - 05-29-2015 04:03 PM

(05-29-2015 12:14 PM)Marcio Wrote:  Seems to be working just as fine here:

Solve this definite integral for me!

Hi,

This page works and shows the end result but for step-by-step analysis you obviously have to pay...

They now also have a "Problem Generator" - hope it does not generate too many problems for you...

Sorry, could not resist,
Martin

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Jean-Michel - 05-29-2015 08:23 PM

Hello

Thanks for your confirmation.
It also works nicely this evening on my laptop at home but surprisingly totally refused to show anything this morning at work despite several attempt. I tested the same quadratic equation.
Maybe some firewall or so?

Kind regards.

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Dwight Sturrock - 05-30-2015 12:11 AM

It may be that they knew you were browsing from work. I had the same experience as you from work, then tried it from home without any problems.

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Jean-Michel - 06-01-2015 11:03 AM

Thank you for this assumption, surely the good one. Just did not think of it.

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Sukiari - 06-03-2015 03:16 PM

(05-30-2015 12:11 AM)Dwight Sturrock Wrote:  It may be that they knew you were browsing from work. I had the same experience as you from work, then tried it from home without any problems.

Wolfram Alpha uses the same server farm as the Alpha interface provided by Mathematica proper, and it is entirely possible that during times of heavy load from the people who paid money to access the Alpha API in Mathematica, the people using the free web interface have a lower priority in the system. I bought Mathematica Home Edition, and I get several thousand API calls a month, but if I had bought the more expensive version I would have many more.

If you are working at a large company it is possible that others on your internet connection have been using Alpha and used up the time allotted to that IP address.

RE: Wolfram Alpha - Jean-Michel - 06-03-2015 07:48 PM

Thanks for your explanations, Dwight.
That said, I'm sure that no co-worker uses Mathematica at the plant I work in. I don't know for the rest of the company worldwide, though.
Regards.