HP Forums
Mac OSX and PIL-box - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mac OSX and PIL-box (/thread-3824.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 04-19-2016 12:20 AM

I have two PIL-Box and here is what I am seeing
PIL-Box #1 S/N: P097 -> /dev/tty.usbserial-FTFSPEHU
PIL-Box #2 S/N: P131 -> /dev/tty.usbserial-AE006AJX
So from what we are seeing with our little sample,
the safest filtering pattern would probably be "/dev/tty.usbserial-*"
Sylvain

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Erwin - 10-04-2016 10:52 AM

(04-18-2016 08:45 PM)dayd Wrote:  - Thanks Dave, I didn't saw this tread that seams interesting indeed, I will try to follow even I’m on 41CX for now.

- "/dev/*serial-FT*" would do the trick but there will be 2 choices for 1 device like in my case:
/dev/cu.usbserial-FT94BLL1
/dev/tty.usbserial-FT94BLL1
At my level I don’t see the point of having to chose (cu & tty both seem to work) so I would go with:
/dev/tty.usbserial-FT*
or
/dev/tty*-FT*

FT94BLL1 being the serial number (internal as Sylvain mentioned) of the PIL-Box

Don't know if it helps but here's a java class used to connect Arduino devices on Mac:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/8385aedc642d6cd76b50ac5167307121007e5045/arduino-core/src/processing/app/macosx/SystemProfilerParser.java

HI,

I installed the PYILPER on my MAC with MINICONDA. Configuration of PYILPER afterwards was very easy the program detects the PIL-Box itself correct as: /dev/tty.usbserial-FT90JAEU (it is the PILBOX from spring 2016) nothing to do. I'm very happy with this configuration (after a little problem with the terminal).

best regards
Erwin

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Erwin - 10-04-2016 04:18 PM

(07-13-2015 04:11 PM)Egan Ford Wrote:  
Quote:[quote]
2. Would you be willing to share a copy of the backup program?

Thank you for sharing this backup program used it now for backup my HP71 through PIL-BOX. Cause all programs are in main ram. So I can start with configuration of FRAM71 :-)

best regards
Erwin

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-26-2021 03:29 PM

Hi,

I’m reviving the older thread because I’ve tried what has been discussed here, but nothing seems to be working for me.

My setup is like so:

macOS Catalina (latest iteration)
The correct macOS drivers
Crossover
PIL-BOX
HP41CL

When launching ILPer, I get “Application returned 53”, whatever that means…

I did exactly what the above-mentioned tutorial suggested…

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here the log:

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 07-27-2021 12:05 AM

Serial and USB ports with Crossover (aka WINE for macOS) is a hit and miss at best, with more misses than hits.
Virtual IL devices from Christoph Gießelink works perfectly with Windows 7/10 under VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop on macOS.
I mostly use pyILPER from Joachim Siebold on macOS these days.
Sylvain

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-27-2021 01:47 PM

(07-27-2021 12:05 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Serial and USB ports with Crossover (aka WINE for macOS) is a hit and miss at best, with more misses than hits.
Virtual IL devices from Christoph Gießelink works perfectly with Windows 7/10 under VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop on macOS.
I mostly use pyILPER from Joachim Siebold on macOS these days.
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

I’ve successfully used Christoph’s virtual devices with Parallels. But if I can avoid having to launch a virtual environment just for that purpose, that would be nice.
I’ll give pyILER a try. But from what I read so far, it seems to be a real pain to install.

Thank you (again!!) ;-)

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 07-27-2021 02:55 PM

(07-27-2021 01:47 PM)Neve Wrote:  I’ll give pyILER a try. But from what I read so far, it seems to be a real pain to install.
Not that hard IMHO

Installation procedure on macOS:
  1. Download and install LIFUTILS package (lifutils.pkg) from HERE
  2. Download and install Anaconda from HERE (installation doc HERE)
  3. Then from the command line do the following:
    Code:
    conda update conda [return]
    conda config --add channels bug400 [return]
    conda install pyilper [return]
    conda update --all [return]
    conda clean --all [return]

To run pyILPER, from the command line type:
Code:
pyilper [return]

Sylvain

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Erwin - 07-27-2021 04:16 PM

(07-27-2021 02:55 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 01:47 PM)Neve Wrote:  I’ll give pyILER a try. But from what I read so far, it seems to be a real pain to install.
Not that hard IMHO

Code:

Code:
pyilper [return]

Sylvain
I use the installation with pyilper on my MAC too with Miniconda (https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html) installation and it's straight forward without fiddling around with settings or VMs.
Give it a try, I'm sure you are satisfied.

regards
Erwin

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - smp - 07-27-2021 05:00 PM

(07-27-2021 02:55 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
Not that hard IMHO

Code:

Code:
pyilper [return]

Sylvain

This is the installation that I have been using on my MacBook Pro all along.
It works perfectly well - I have the latest Mac OS Big Sur, but this installation has been working for me for the last few (or more) versions of Mac OS.

Thanks a million (again) to Sylvain for publishing his simple and easy instructions on how to get this done! I just re-tried those instructions, and all is well for me.

smp

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-27-2021 07:35 PM

Thank you ALL. I will try all that when I get back home.

Regards

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Dave Frederickson - 07-28-2021 12:12 AM

From the pyILPER Installation Instructions.
https://github.com/bug400/pyilper/blob/master/INSTALL.md#installation-with-the-anaconda-platform

The Anaconda distribution installs more than 150 Python packages on your computer which are not needed to run pyILPER. Therefore, it is recommended to use the Miniconda installer instead which only provides Python and the Anaconda package manager.

I can't speak for the Mac community, but for Windows I only install Miniconda.

Dave

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-28-2021 10:11 PM

To all that have helped. I’ve tried both Anaconda and Microconda and they work just fine.

Thank you.

I’m new to the world of HP emulators and also to the PIL-BOX. I’ve always used my machines stand-alone. Only recently have I installed Genesis-41 and V41.

To may of you this is probably trivial, but so far I’ve succeeded in connecting the HP41’s to macOS and Pyilper (thanks to this thread), to Win10 using Parallels Desktop and both PyIlper and ILPer, and to a real PC with Win10.
I haven’t succeeded in connecting V41 (Crossover) to Pyilper. Q: Why did I even try? A: Just for the heck of it.
I haven’t tried connecting Genesis-41 to PyIlper either. But I doubt it’s possible.

I’m sharing the same HP41 PyIlper/ILPer virtual drives between all the different platforms and emulators. That would be nice to have the same ones Genesis-41. Just because…

As I learn all these new features (to me), I see some things that I would like to see added, as well as some “bugs”. But I haven’t probably explored enough yet, and those features I’d like are already there.

Both are extremely nice, and definitely a huge and positive change from magnetic cards and cassette drives, etc…. But to me (no offense) PyIlper seems to be overall a bit more “polished” than ILPer. The plotter, as well as the ability to add more peripherals to the loop, are a nice addition. The downside is that you have to launch it with a command line. Being a hardcore Unix guy, I don’t mind, but that would be nice to have a more modern way to do it.

That was my 2cts after just a few hours playing with the different versions and features.

I’d be happy to hear your experience as well.

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 07-28-2021 11:39 PM

(07-28-2021 10:11 PM)Neve Wrote:  The downside is that you have to launch it with a command line. Being a hardcore Unix guy, I don’t mind, but that would be nice to have a more modern way to do it.
Automator, allow you to create a mac app that will call pyilper for you.

Do the following:
  • Start: Automator
  • Select: New Document
  • Select: Application then press Choose button
  • In the search bar, type: shell then double-click on Run Shell Script
  • In the Run Shell Script box:
    • Set shell to: /bin/bash
    • In the input box type: ~/anaconda3/bin/pyilper
    • You can try it by pressing the Run button in the top right corner
  • To save it, select in the menu bar: File then Save
  • In the save dialog box,
    • In the Save As text box, type: pyILPer
    • Select the /Applications folder
    • Set file format to: Application
    • Press Save button.
To start pyilper you just click on the pyILPer icon in the application folder.

Sylvain

[Image: automator_pyilper.jpg]

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-29-2021 06:38 PM

(07-28-2021 11:39 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 10:11 PM)Neve Wrote:  The downside is that you have to launch it with a command line. Being a hardcore Unix guy, I don’t mind, but that would be nice to have a more modern way to do it.
Automator, allow you to create a mac app that will call pyilper for you.

Do the following:
  • Start: Automator
  • Select: New Document
  • Select: Application then press Choose button
  • In the search bar, type: shell then double-click on Run Shell Script
  • In the Run Shell Script box:
    • Set shell to: /bin/bash
    • In the input box type: ~/anaconda3/bin/pyilper
    • You can try it by pressing the Run button in the top right corner
  • To save it, select in the menu bar: File then Save
  • In the save dialog box,
    • In the Save As text box, type: pyILPer
    • Select the /Applications folder
    • Set file format to: Application
    • Press Save button.
To start pyilper you just click on the pyILPer icon in the application folder.

Sylvain

[Image: automator_pyilper.jpg]

Yes Sylvain. I had totally forgotten about the Automator!!! Thanks!!!

I works fine. So is Crossover V41 with PyILPer, BTW.

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 07-29-2021 07:54 PM

(07-29-2021 06:38 PM)Neve Wrote:  I works fine.
Great!

(07-29-2021 06:38 PM)Neve Wrote:  So is Crossover V41 with PyILPer, BTW.
??? ... just in case, Crossover is not needed to run pyilper, but you do need Crossover to run V41.
Python and thus pyilper run natively on macOS.

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Neve - 07-29-2021 08:19 PM

(07-29-2021 07:54 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 06:38 PM)Neve Wrote:  So is Crossover V41 with PyILPer, BTW.
??? ... just in case, Crossover is not needed to run pyilper, but you do need Crossover to run V41.

Oh yes, I know that. I meant that they now work well together. They have no trouble communicating, V41 through Crossover, and the other one natively.
It wasn’t working yesterday for some obscure reason.

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Sylvain Cote - 07-29-2021 08:34 PM

(07-29-2021 08:19 PM)Neve Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 07:54 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  ??? ... just in case, Crossover is not needed to run pyilper, but you do need Crossover to run V41.
Oh yes, I know that. I meant that they now work well together. They have no trouble communicating, V41 through Crossover, and the other one natively.
It wasn’t working yesterday for some obscure reason.
ok, perfect, have fun! Smile

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Steve Nichols - 11-30-2021 08:12 PM

I am the new owner of a PIL-Box. While I am able to use ilper on Windows 10, I have yet to use ilper on Mac OS X without the Linux version of ilper in C hanging. I start it, am able to bring up help, but after I start the emulation it becomes unresponsive. I then have to kill the process. This leaves the terminal window in raw mode.

My setup is unusual, in that I have a USB TO serial adapter that is connected to the HP82164A serial interface. This allows me to use a terminal window as a display and keyboard device for my HP41 via a C program that I wrote. My program uses a different device file from ILPer, so there should be no confusion there, but not necessarily. Also the PIL-Box and USB adapter should have their own device drivers.

Any ideas?

Steve

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - rprosperi - 12-01-2021 01:21 AM

(11-30-2021 08:12 PM)Steve Nichols Wrote:  I am the new owner of a PIL-Box. While I am able to use ilper on Windows 10, I have yet to use ilper on Mac OS X without the Linux version of ilper in C hanging. I start it, am able to bring up help, but after I start the emulation it becomes unresponsive. I then have to kill the process. This leaves the terminal window in raw mode.

My setup is unusual, in that I have a USB TO serial adapter that is connected to the HP82164A serial interface. This allows me to use a terminal window as a display and keyboard device for my HP41 via a C program that I wrote. My program uses a different device file from ILPer, so there should be no confusion there, but not necessarily. Also the PIL-Box and USB adapter should have their own device drivers.

Any ideas?

Steve

You are saying "ilper", which is Windows-only program, yet are discussing issues while running on a Mac and Linux. Do you actually mean pyILPer?

RE: Mac OSX and PIL-box - Steve Nichols - 12-01-2021 01:29 AM

Ilper is also the name of version 1.35.2 written for Linux in C using the curses library.

Steve