HP Forums
Random Integers Wish - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Random Integers Wish (/thread-3591.html)

Random Integers Wish - lrdheat - 04-09-2015 01:44 AM

I would like to see an option offered that would allow a user to choose between a list of random integers and a list of random numbers without duplication...equivalent to the statistical exercise of choosing balls from an urn with replacement, and an option to choose without replacement.

RE: Random Integers Wish - Joe Horn - 04-09-2015 02:13 AM

(04-09-2015 01:44 AM)lrdheat Wrote:  I would like to see an option offered that would allow a user to choose between a list of random integers and a list of random numbers without duplication...equivalent to the statistical exercise of choosing balls from an urn with replacement, and an option to choose without replacement.

Good news: What you seek is already available. In the following, all parameters are assumed to be integers.

RANDINT(n,a,b) --> n random integers between a and b inclusive, with possible duplicates.

rand(n,a,b) --> n random integers between a and b inclusive, with no duplicates. Of course, b-a must be big enough to accommodate n items, else an error occurs.

Notice that rand must be spelled in lowercase, whereas randint works in both uppercase and lowercase.

Alternative method: CAS.RANDOM(n,a,b) seems to be the same as rand(n,a,b), but CAS.RANDOM must be spelled all in uppercase.

RE: Random Integers Wish - lrdheat - 04-09-2015 02:36 AM

Thanks! I do remember noting this a long time ago, and forgot! This should be in the catalogue.