HP Forums
Recover from bad erase - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Recover from bad erase (/thread-3315.html)

Recover from bad erase - cmumford - 03-09-2015 01:41 AM

So I did what another user here did. Successfully flashed to 34s firmware, but then tried to reflash, but using the initial method, not the ON+STO+STO... upgrade procedure described in the manual.

So my 20b appears to be dead - is it, or can it be recovered somehow?

RE: Recover from bad erase - BarryMead - 03-09-2015 04:04 AM

I suspect you mean that you pressed ON + D, ON + S + S to put your calculator back into the "Samba Boot" mode. Be sure you press the "Reset" button on the back under the lid then the ON key prior to sending the
file to the calculator. If your calculator has been "Sitting" a long time in the samba boot mode, it might have drained the batteries. Since you seem to be having trouble reflashing the calc,it wouldn't be a bad idea to
try with a fresh set of batteries. While the calculator appears to be "Dead" there are actually two states it can be in. 1. Power down state (after pressing reset on back), 2. Ready to receive file (after pressing ON key)

In the second apparently dead state (Ready to receive file) the calculator consumes quite a bit of power and can drain the batteries if left in this state.

Hope this helps, Barry

RE: Recover from bad erase - cmumford - 03-09-2015 04:14 AM

Sorry, my post was originally confusing. I didn't follow the WP 34s upgrade procedure, and instead used the first time erase procedure (short two pins, etc.). Batteries should be OK, as I haven't left them in for more than 60 seconds at a time.

RE: Recover from bad erase - BarryMead - 03-09-2015 04:17 AM

(03-09-2015 04:14 AM)cmumford Wrote:  Sorry, my post was originally confusing. I didn't follow the WP 34s upgrade procedure, and instead used the first time erase procedure (short two pins, etc.). Batteries should be OK, as I haven't left them in for more than 60 seconds at a time.
Is the "MySamba" program sending the whole file to the calculator without complaining of an error.
If so then all you need to do is press the reset on the back again, and the ON key to wake the calculator back up after flashing.

RE: Recover from bad erase - BarryMead - 03-09-2015 04:19 AM

Also depending on which version of Windows you are using , it is possible that the correct COM port can change
from one flashing to the next. It is a good idea to click on the com port selector to see which com ports MySamba thinks are valid prior to sending the file.

RE: Recover from bad erase - John Galt - 03-09-2015 09:36 PM

(03-09-2015 04:14 AM)cmumford Wrote:  Sorry, my post was originally confusing. I didn't follow the WP 34s upgrade procedure, and instead used the first time erase procedure (short two pins, etc.). Batteries should be OK, as I haven't left them in for more than 60 seconds at a time.

Though it completely unnecessary to do so once it has been flashed, there is no harm in erasing the calculator again. Whatever is causing the problem, that's probably not it.

It's difficult to determine if the calculator is in fact "dead" or merely appears so. The only confirmation of "non-dead" status that I know of would be to determine its current consumption while it is "on". In that state ("on" but with no firmware to run) it draws approximately 8 mA.

If its power state is unknown you can power it "off" by pressing its reset button. (edit to add: Barry's description of the two "apparently dead" states is a most elegant one.)

Quote:So I did what another user here did.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is there a post you can refer us to?