HP Forums
Larger plot symbols, please - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Larger plot symbols, please (/thread-3067.html)

Larger plot symbols, please - mbeddo - 02-12-2015 04:53 AM

Well, I was teaching a physics lab this evening. The objective was to verify the power law form for the centripetal force formula, and if we transformed the measured values just right we should get a straight line.

Here is one of the plots we produced, with the straight line. Can you find the data points? Hint: it was a high precision experiment, and the points are very close to the line. There are five of them.

[attachment=1609]

I'd like to see slightly larger plotting symbols in the next OS release. This is one thing the TI Nspire does right - you can see the data points. When I'm trying to teach students about using regression lines in their data analysis and how the points should be scattered about the line for a good fit, it takes away from the discussion when we have to pause to find the points.

So we used the trace feature, and "Oh yeah, there they are!".

Here is the TI Nspire equivalent:

[attachment=1610]

RE: Larger plot symbols, please - Tim Wessman - 02-12-2015 05:21 AM

Yup, it is on the list.

Also remember that pressing ENTER will turn on the marching ants on your cursor.

RE: Larger plot symbols, please - Han - 02-12-2015 05:23 AM

A marginally slightly better choice of points can be found via [Shift][Plot] (i.e. Plot Setup). If you select the last "mark" type (full, solid square), then the points are slightly more visible.

To Tim: perhaps there should also be an option to color the markers in addition to size selection.