HP Forums
Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. (/thread-250.html)

Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - John P - 12-27-2013 02:26 AM

Is there any way, inside a program/function in HP Prime, to tell haw many input parameters were passed and modify the prgm./fn. behavior accordingly. As far as I know if you declared 3 parameters and enter while running the prgm./fn. two or one you will get error.
Thanks.

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - eried - 12-27-2013 02:31 AM

No way, there is no http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphism_(computer_science)

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - Han - 12-27-2013 04:34 AM

(12-27-2013 02:26 AM)John P Wrote:  Is there any way, inside a program/function in HP Prime, to tell haw many input parameters were passed and modify the prgm./fn. behavior accordingly. As far as I know if you declared 3 parameters and enter while running the prgm./fn. two or one you will get error.
Thanks.

One idea would be to pass a single input -- a list. The list itself can contain however many objects (parameters) you want. You just need to add code to parse the list according to your needs.

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - eried - 12-27-2013 05:25 AM

Other option is if TW adds optional parameters Big Grin

Code:
EXPORT Name(required_var, required_var, optional_var=default, optional_var=default)
BEGIN

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - John P - 12-27-2013 07:52 AM

Thank you all. I was thinking about adding one more real number parameter and the prgm. would check. If it would be for ex. 2 the program would use the two parameters I want and if it would be 1 prgm. would use one parameter etc.

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - John P - 06-05-2014 06:16 PM

(12-27-2013 04:34 AM)Han Wrote:  
(12-27-2013 02:26 AM)John P Wrote:  Is there any way, inside a program/function in HP Prime, to tell haw many input parameters were passed and modify the prgm./fn. behavior accordingly. As far as I know if you declared 3 parameters and enter while running the prgm./fn. two or one you will get error.
Thanks.

One idea would be to pass a single input -- a list. The list itself can contain however many objects (parameters) you want. You just need to add code to parse the list according to your needs.

I am re-asking the same question for the newest firmware. I dreamed that it changed. Did my dream come true or it is back to the same old reality.
Thanks for replays.

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - cyrille de brébisson - 06-06-2014 08:11 AM

hello,

Nope, sorry, no changes there...
using a list is still the only solution.
or having multiple functions, with slightly different names and different number of parameters.

PPL does not yet implement default parameters, nor var-args, not overloading...

Cyrille

RE: Control of input parameters in prgms./fns. - John P - 06-06-2014 01:00 PM

(06-06-2014 08:11 AM)cyrille de brĂ©bisson Wrote:  hello,

Nope, sorry, no changes there...
using a list is still the only solution.
or having multiple functions, with slightly different names and different number of parameters.

PPL does not yet implement default parameters, nor var-args, not overloading...

Cyrille

Thank you.