HP Forums
Transferring apps? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Transferring apps? (/thread-2455.html)

Transferring apps? - shaheer07 - 11-20-2014 03:56 PM

Hi all,

I am a new HP Prime user. I have the connectivity kit and the emulator downloaded. I also downloaded some HP Prime apps onto my laptop. The thing is, I don't know how to transfer apps to the calculator. Can someone please tell me how to transfer, let's say, the periodic table app from my laptop onto my HP Prime?

Thanks in Advance,
Shaheer

RE: Transferring apps? - Tim Wessman - 11-20-2014 04:00 PM

Provided you are up to date on the connkit, just drag and drop to the calculator tree.

However, the periodic table file is a program, not an app, so it will show up in the "programs" location and not in the app menu.

RE: Transferring apps? - shaheer07 - 11-20-2014 04:52 PM

(11-20-2014 04:00 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Provided you are up to date on the connkit, just drag and drop to the calculator tree.

However, the periodic table file is a program, not an app, so it will show up in the "programs" location and not in the app menu.

Thanks. However,the Periodic Table isn't working for some reason. Sad

You can see a picture, here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4JA1Kc3xlxiZ29KdTZZd00ySDA/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Looking at this (http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv021.cgi?read=256873) Miguel Toro said he did something to make it work, but I don't know how to program with the Prime yet.

RE: Transferring apps? - Han - 11-20-2014 05:55 PM

You transferred the program just fine. The app just happens to have a bug that needs to be fixed by the author. Have you tried this version?

http://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1115.html

RE: Transferring apps? - shaheer07 - 11-20-2014 07:13 PM

(11-20-2014 05:55 PM)Han Wrote:  You transferred the program just fine. The app just happens to have a bug that needs to be fixed by the author. Have you tried this version?

http://hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1115.html

THANK YOU! It worked. Big Grin

RE: Transferring apps? - mbeddo - 11-20-2014 07:32 PM

Am replying within this thread, since I am experiencing an issue with the connectivity kit and emulator.

I wrote a CAS function in the emulator, yet when I start up the connectivity kit the function isn't visible? At least it isn't showing up under "Programs" in the Kit GUI. However, if I right-click "Programs" and select "New", this new CAS function shows up immediately in the emulator.

I was wanting to copy the CAS function into the connectivity kit, then plug in my real HP Prime and transfer the function to it. I suppose I can cut and paste.

RE: Transferring apps? - DrD - 11-20-2014 07:38 PM

You may have tried: from CAS [Vars] | CAS |2. Program, which should do the trick.

-Dale-

RE: Transferring apps? - shaheer07 - 11-20-2014 07:53 PM

Oh, are there any good programs/apps for Chemistry students?

Edit: For anyone having trouble transferring apps, download the utility from here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxG-R0QZ-qI&src_vid=4QGBjOD3LHo&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_546885687)

Works FLAWLESSLY, at least for me.

RE: Transferring apps? - Han - 11-20-2014 09:01 PM

You can also just send it from emulator to the calculator, bypassing the conn. kit entirely (provided the programs are installed on the emulator -- can be done with just copy/paste).

RE: Transferring apps? - mbeddo - 11-20-2014 09:43 PM

What I mean is, none of my CAS functions appear to be visible within the calculator tree displayed in the left panel of the Connectivity Kit PC program. I don't know if they are supposed to?

So if I wrote a CAS function in the HP Prime emulator, how do I get it onto the physical HP Prime device? Han suggests (if I read his reply correctly) that cut and paste works. I understand cutting the CAS code from the emulator, but what do I then paste into?

My Connectivity Kit is currently displaying two calculators in the left panel - one is the emulator (with the CAS code) and the other is the physical HP Prime.

Thanks.

RE: Transferring apps? - Han - 11-21-2014 02:19 AM

(11-20-2014 09:43 PM)mbeddo Wrote:  What I mean is, none of my CAS functions appear to be visible within the calculator tree displayed in the left panel of the Connectivity Kit PC program. I don't know if they are supposed to?

So if I wrote a CAS function in the HP Prime emulator, how do I get it onto the physical HP Prime device? Han suggests (if I read his reply correctly) that cut and paste works. I understand cutting the CAS code from the emulator, but what do I then paste into?

My Connectivity Kit is currently displaying two calculators in the left panel - one is the emulator (with the CAS code) and the other is the physical HP Prime.

Thanks.

If you are trying to send them over to your calculator, just paste the code into either a CAS program (on the emulator) or into a note. Then send that on over to the calculator, and copy/paste (using the calculator copy/paste) as needed. Usually, CAS functions created in the CAS view (and not as a CAS program via the program editor) are treated like normal temporary variables. This is why you don't see them in the conn. kit. If you create them as a CAS program (again, via the program editor), then they will be listed in the programs section.

My initial post about copy/pasting was to copy code from an external source (e.g. internet) and paste into the emulator. This only works for programs whose code is available as text files. Then just send directly from emulator to calculator. However, if you want to make backups, you could copy from emulator (using the emulator's copy/paste feature) and paste onto a regular text file in Windows.

RE: Transferring apps? - shaheer07 - 11-21-2014 05:10 AM

(11-21-2014 02:19 AM)Han Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 09:43 PM)mbeddo Wrote:  What I mean is, none of my CAS functions appear to be visible within the calculator tree displayed in the left panel of the Connectivity Kit PC program. I don't know if they are supposed to?

Thanks.

If you are trying to send them over to your calculator, just paste the code into either a CAS program (on the emulator) or into a note. Then send that on over to the calculator, and copy/paste (using the calculator copy/paste) as needed. Usually, CAS functions created in the CAS view (and not as a CAS program via the program editor) are treated like normal temporary variables. This is why you don't see them in the conn. kit. If you create them as a CAS program (again, via the program editor), then they will be listed in the programs section.

My initial post about copy/pasting was to copy code from an external source (e.g. internet) and paste into the emulator. This only works for programs whose code is available as text files. Then just send directly from emulator to calculator. However, if you want to make backups, you could copy from emulator (using the emulator's copy/paste feature) and paste onto a regular text file in Windows.

Are there any other good apps for Chem students besides the Periodic Table?