HP Forums
Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX (/thread-2448.html)

Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Omar Deen - 11-19-2014 05:25 AM

Hello:

A shop I worked at shut the doors and we were pretty much in throw away junk mode.
We had an area where they balance large shaft. I just happen to look in the trash can and found a well preserve Application report written by IRD Mechanalysis, inc called:

BALANCING PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS FOR HEWLETT PACKARD MODEL 41C/CV/CX
PROGRAMMABLE CALCULATOR. application report no.117

It was written back in 1984. It's a very detail report with HP41 programs on
Solving two-plane and single-plane balancing problems as well as vector addition problems.

Wonder if anyone is interested this. It a shame that calculators are not used in this way anymore.

OMAR

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Martin Hepperle - 11-19-2014 10:36 AM

Omar,

if you have a possibility to scan the report to a PDF document (most larger office copiers can do that nowadays) you could conserve and make available the report as one example of how these calculators were used.
[Asbestos mode ON] I think it is worth the effort more than conserving the 23567th program to calculate PI to umpteen digits.[Asbestos mode OFF]

Martin

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - toml_12953 - 11-19-2014 01:24 PM

(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  BALANCING PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS FOR HEWLETT PACKARD MODEL 41C/CV/CX

Solving two-plane and single-plane balancing problems as well as vector addition problems.

Wonder if anyone is interested this. It a shame that calculators are not used in this way anymore.

OMAR

I'd like a copy! Maybe you could find a site to host it.

Tom L

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Ángel Martin - 11-19-2014 02:10 PM

(11-19-2014 01:24 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  BALANCING PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS FOR HEWLETT PACKARD MODEL 41C/CV/CX

OMAR

I'd like a copy! Maybe you could find a site to host it.

Tom L

Same here, I also offer to slap it on a ROM module once I get access to it.

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 11-19-2014 06:38 PM

Following is link to PDF of the MODEL 880 MICROPROCESSOR ANALYZER-BALANCER manual - appendix D references Reports 117 for the HP calculator and Report 118 for the Sharp Pocket Computer. This manual might be of help in understanding what the programs were used for.

Model 880 Manual

I couldn't find the actual reports on-line. Be interesting to see the one on the Sharp PC.

Bill

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Howard Owen - 11-19-2014 10:53 PM

(11-19-2014 10:36 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  [Asbestos mode ON] I think it is worth the effort more than conserving the 23567th program to calculate PI to umpteen digits.[Asbestos mode OFF]

Aren't you supposed to turn on asbestos mode after you make the statement?

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Omar Deen - 11-19-2014 11:11 PM

I made a copy of the intro. I probably will try to port it to the HP50g and Bundle it in Machinist Helper.

OMAR

[attachment=1221]

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Brad Barton - 11-20-2014 02:57 AM

I'm a vibration engineer by trade. One of the services we offer is single and multi-plane balancing. I've written several balancing programs over the years on a variety of platforms, including the HP-48. I'd be very interested in the program you describe, if only as a way to compare my methods to those of others. Thank you for posting the introduction.

I'd written a pretty useful balancing program for my Palm phone (680 I think), but as with all phones, technology moved on. I was getting ready to write an iPhone app, but someone else had the brilliant idea of writing it in Excel. Nearly all smart phones will run Excel for the foreseeable future, so I won't have to learn the language for a new platform every time a current one expires. Why didn't I think of that? Lol.

I noticed that others have mentioned the Sharp pocket computer. My boss, who has been in the game 20 years longer than I have programmed a balancing program on the Sharp PC-1360. He had a flash card writer that could flash the ROM chips that install in the back of the 1360. Besides using them in the field, he sold them as well.

The next step was writing it in Power Basic for use on HP-200LX machines. I still have a couple of those around. These were also written on Flash cards, but in a PCMCIA format. With all the various platforms you can see why we were happy that someone finally thought of doing it in Excel.

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - SlideRule - 12-22-2014 09:35 PM

(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  ... BALANCING PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS FOR HEWLETT PACKARD MODEL 41C/CV/CX PROGRAMMABLE CALCULATOR ... Solving two-plane and single-plane balancing problems ...

The attached excerpt from a paper by Charles Jackson may be of interest ... enjoy!
[attachment=1341]
SlideRule

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Brad Barton - 12-23-2014 12:36 AM

The programs you have shown appear to be for the alignment of rotating equipment, rather than balancing. Thank you for sharing them though, as Charlie Jackson was a giant in the field of vibration, having passed a few years ago. I wish I could give you an accurate synopsis of his career, but his many books and papers are legend in the field, and command respect to this day.

Thanks again for sharing.

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Ángel Martin - 12-23-2014 08:00 AM

(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  Wonder if anyone is interested this. It a shame that calculators are not used in this way anymore.
OMAR

Looks like we're not in luck with the posting of the original program that started this thread... hopefully Omar can get around doing it it eventually.

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - aurelio - 12-23-2014 11:08 AM

(12-23-2014 08:00 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  Wonder if anyone is interested this. It a shame that calculators are not used in this way anymore.
OMAR

Looks like we're not in luck with the posting of the original program that started this thread... hopefully Omar can get around doing it it eventually.

It could be like a Xmas present Smile

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - SlideRule - 12-23-2014 04:36 PM

(12-23-2014 12:36 AM)Brad Barton Wrote:  The programs you have shown appear to be for the alignment of rotating equipment, rather than balancing ... Charlie Jackson was a giant in the field of vibration ... his many books and papers are legend ...

Very true - I failed to provide the linkage - VIBRATION -
Vibration due to misalignment is almost as common as vibration due to unbalance

Although the calculator programs are in 67-97 code, the PRACTICAL Vibration Primer by Charles Jackson remains an excellent reference on Machinery Vibration.

BEST!

SlideRule

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Dave Frederickson - 12-23-2014 06:10 PM

(11-19-2014 01:24 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  

OMAR
Maybe you could find a site to host it.

There is a 41 site that hosts contributed software. Smile The website that shall not be named.

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - SlideRule - 12-23-2014 08:03 PM

[attachment=1346]
(11-19-2014 05:25 AM)Omar Deen Wrote:  BALANCING PROGRAM ... FOR HEWLETT PACKARD ... PROGRAMMABLE CALCULATOR ... with ... programs on Solving ... single-plane balancing problems

Excellent, full ARTICLE by Charles Jackson on Single Plane Balancing at URL:

S P B

w/ excerpts attached.

BEST!
[attachment=1347]
[attachment=1348]

SlideRule

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Brad Barton - 12-24-2014 03:48 AM

Thanks for the links. These are great!

RE: Balancing Program for HP41C/CV/CX - Omar Deen - 02-16-2015 12:36 AM

(11-19-2014 10:36 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Omar,

if you have a possibility to scan the report to a PDF document (most larger office copiers can do that nowadays) you could conserve and make available the report as one example of how these calculators were used.
[Asbestos mode ON] I think it is worth the effort more than conserving the 23567th program to calculate PI to umpteen digits.[Asbestos mode OFF]

Martin

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy developing Usolve.

I was able a copy to PDF but the file is too big to post. Send me your e-mail so I can send it to you. It's a shame engineers don't use HP calculators like this anymore. I am thinking about porting this to the HP50 whenever I have some time.

OMAR