HP Forums
WP34s Emulator Printing - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: WP34s Emulator Printing (/thread-2254.html)

WP34s Emulator Printing - Jeff O. - 10-08-2014 05:35 PM

I just downloaded the latest version of the WP34s emulator. It has been a while since I did so, the latest version has lots of nice features that are new to me at least. I saw that it came with an HP-82240B printer emulator, so I tried that out, and have a couple of questions. Is there any way to get the printer output into a text file, or some other way to extract the list of data that has been printed? Also, it appears that the printer output is limited to a certain number of lines, which I am unable to verify. Sometimes if I print a long list, say a list of numbers from 500 down to 1, the whole list is there. Other times, say a list of all prime date pairs from 1583 to 9999, it seems that only the last several hundred are there, i.e., earlier values get dropped beyond a certain point. Is this correct?

My apologies if printing emulation has been discussed previously. If so, just point me to the thread. I did attempt to search for discussion here, but found no details. I also checked the WP34s manual, but it just says to get Christoph Gießelink’s HP82240B Printer Simulator, which does not appear to be the same as the 82240B emulator packaged with the WP34s emulator.

RE: WP34s Emulator Printing - Christoph Giesselink - 10-09-2014 06:22 PM

There are existing two emulator packages, the original one for Windows in the binary package for real calculators and the OS independet Qt version in emulator package from Pascal. The emulator in the binary package contain no printer simulation so the manual from the binary package refer to my simulation which was already available.

My HP82240B Printer Simulator was specially designed to work together with my HP calculator emulators Emu28, Emu42 and Emu48 with main focus on text output. So the primary window only show text, an internal converter translate the Roman8 or ECMA94 character set to UNICODE characters. I need UNICODE to show most of the used characters. Because of text mode it's possible to Cut&Paste the text to an external editor. Important in this case is, that the editor also should work with UNICODE characters, otherwise, on the translation to ASCII, some characters could not be converted and are showed wrong. A second window show the printer output in graphic mode. Here you have also no possibilty to save the output as text, only as bitmap image. The number of lines in graphic mode should be limited to 32768. This limitation has no technical reasons, it only should limit the size of the bitmap.

In the case of WP34S you need sometimes the graphic mode, because not all WP34S characters are part of the printer fonts. So some single characters are printed as graphic which I cannot display in the text windows.

The advantange of Pascal's program is, it can run on many operating systems and is published under an Open Source license. My program was designed for Windows only, has a special freeware license allows you to distribute or adding the unmodified installer package in own products. The source code is not available. As stand alone project I spend some more time in additional features, whereas the focus in the Qt package is mainly on the WP34S emulator.

RE: WP34s Emulator Printing - Jeff O. - 10-10-2014 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I want to get your printer emulator if I want to extract the "printed" output.

RE: WP34s Emulator Printing - Marcus von Cube - 10-10-2014 04:23 PM

(10-10-2014 04:07 PM)Jeff O. Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I want to get your printer emulator if I want to extract the "printed" output.
You might want to try out the other printing modes, notably mode 3 which sends the output to the serial device. If you combine that with a com-port emulator like com2com you can capture the output in a terminal application.

RE: WP34s Emulator Printing - Jeff O. - 10-10-2014 04:47 PM

(10-10-2014 04:23 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  You might want to try out the other printing modes, notably mode 3 which sends the output to the serial device. If you combine that with a com-port emulator like com2com you can capture the output in a terminal application.

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.