HP Forums
HHC - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HHC (/thread-2173.html)

Pages: 1 2

HHC - d b - 09-22-2014 05:52 AM

Another great HHC goes into the books. Great Speakers, great demos, great stories, great times cleaning parts with alcohol and great door prizes too. I'm enjoying my 1980 HP Digest and will read my 1991 HP Journal next. It's truly surprising the breadth of knowledge one finds at these meetings - but maybe not surprising. These are RPN users after all.

RE: HHC - Jonathan Cameron - 09-22-2014 06:00 AM

(09-22-2014 05:52 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Another great HHC goes into the books. Great Speakers, great demos, great stories, great times cleaning parts with alcohol and great door prizes too.

My first one! I enjoyed it a lot--both meeting interesting folks and hearing interesting talks! Thanks to RIchard, et al for doing a great job!

-Jonathan

RE: HHC - Namir - 09-22-2014 08:52 AM

Indeed, nice HHC. Nice to see you again Den and nice to meet you Jonathan.

Namir

RE: HHC - Jake Schwartz - 09-23-2014 06:42 PM

Dave Ramsey is to be congratulated for all his hard work to get our Reno hotel facilitators organized to the point that things went really smoothly. Also, thanks to Dave for hosting a dinner at his home for the early arrivers last Thursday.

Jake

RE: HHC - David Hayden - 09-24-2014 12:54 AM

That was a great conference. Geoff Quickfall showed how to repair a 41 card reader. Joe Horn showed a pattern in hailstone numbers. He was so excited he was about to burst.

Namir gave several talks on interesting algorithms for solving equations numerically.

Richard Schwartz showed a really easy way to bind books and passed around some examples, including a 3" thick Prime Manual. I can't wait to give the binding process a try.

Eric Rechlin talked about his website hpcalc.org. It was interesting to see how the number of submitted programs has changed over the years.

Tim and Cyrille answered questions with Cyrille joining us via conference link from France.

HP often hands out samples of upcoming hardware under non-disclosure agreements. Tim gave everyone a shiny new HP-41CZ Limited Edition. It's brilliant how they integrated USB and high-res color display. The ARM processor and 128MB of flash memory mean there's room for every program ever written and even the beta versions of the printed manuals look AMAZING....

Okay, I'm joking about that. But it is true that part of the conference is always under a non-disclosure agreement and sometimes participants get an early look at upcoming hardware.

The door prizes were really good. Premium prizes included two Primes, two 71B's, and 15C+ (that was the beta version of the 15C-LE), a 41CV in the box with manuals, etc. etc. The door prizes are always a treat.

This year's programming contest featured the same problem that could be solved in RPL, RPN or PPL (Prime Programming Language). I always like trying to solve the problem, but to me the real fun is the days following the conference when people on this board collectively come up with solutions far better than any entry in the contest. It's a great way to learn about programming.

That's only a sample of what was at the conference this year. If you've never been to one, you should really think about attending.

Dave

RE: HHC - Paul Dale - 09-24-2014 01:21 AM

(09-24-2014 12:54 AM)David Hayden Wrote:  This year's programming contest featured the same problem that could be solved in RPL, RPN or PPL (Prime Programming Language). I always like trying to solve the problem, but to me the real fun is the days following the conference when people on this board collectively come up with solutions far better than any entry in the contest. It's a great way to learn about programming.

Was this posted here? I don't remember seeing it but haven't been digging deeply into the forums for the past while.

Pauli

RE: HHC - hp41cx - 09-24-2014 02:26 AM

HP-41CZ ?!?!?!
Photos please !!!!

RE: HHC - Geoff Quickfall - 09-24-2014 02:29 AM

I will post the challenge unless someone beats me to it.

The hp41Cz alluded to above was a joke by Dave. Bad boy Dave!

Geoff

RE: HHC - Benoit Maag - 09-24-2014 04:47 AM

David Ramsey exhibited a few of his desktop models: the 9100, 9810 and 9820 and showed how they are made inside: UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE !

Especially the 9100: how can a machine made with discrete transistors and diodes be a programmable RPN machine? And fast on top of that: we ran a primality program on his 9100 and on the HP-15C LE. The latter was just 3 times faster... after 40 years of Moore's law!

Fun meeting, Great people... hope you (whoever reads this post) can make it next year

RE: HHC - Joe Horn - 09-24-2014 04:53 AM

The gang at HHC 2014 (actual size is 1687×1080):

[Image: HHC_2014_Attendees.jpg]

And here is the Programming Contest.

And here are the contents of the HHC 2014 Thumb Drive... plus a few files received too late to be added to the thumb drive. More files will be added over the next few weeks, including the Programming Contest entries, and a complete analysis of the Programming Contest Homework Problems by David Hayden.

RE: HHC - Doug Epple - 09-24-2014 09:25 PM

What a wonderful experience. I would like to express my excitement about HHC conference that was this last weekend. It was great to meet the members and hear about the latest HP industry developments.
As a newcomer everyone present made me feel welcome, what a great group! I would like to express just how much I liked the presentations. Which made many of the points so much clearer to me. The conference materials and exchange table was awesome I now have a 48g, 35s and now I can explore and create programs on my new “Toys”.

RE: HHC - jebem - 09-25-2014 01:14 PM

Indeed.
But it is far away for me to travel to USA to attend HHC. Maybe one of these years...

Eric Rechlin has just published some HHC contents on youtube here.

Thank you!

RE: HHC - Eddie W. Shore - 09-25-2014 01:30 PM

(09-22-2014 05:52 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Another great HHC goes into the books. Great Speakers, great demos, great stories, great times cleaning parts with alcohol and great door prizes too. I'm enjoying my 1980 HP Digest and will read my 1991 HP Journal next. It's truly surprising the breadth of knowledge one finds at these meetings - but maybe not surprising. These are RPN users after all.

Agree 100%! We had fun and talked all day from the break of dawn to the point where we had to drag ourselves to bed. It is one my favorite weekends of the year.

RE: HHC - Dave Frederickson - 09-25-2014 03:50 PM

(09-24-2014 04:53 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The gang at HHC 2014 (actual size is 1687×1080):

Can we get a caption for the photo? I know some of the faces, but it's nice to know all of them. I like to associate the forum posts with the person's face.

Thanks, Dave

RE: HHC - aurelio - 09-25-2014 05:02 PM

(09-24-2014 04:53 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The gang at HHC 2014 (actual size is 1687×1080):

And here are the contents of the HHC 2014 Thumb Drive... plus a few files received too late to be added to the thumb drive. More files will be added over the next few weeks, including the Programming Contest entries, and a complete analysis of the Programming Contest Homework Problems by David Hayden.

insufficient memory????????????????? Smile, like mine

thanks for the picture Joe

Thanks to all the GANG hope to meet you all in th future

RE: HHC - Eddie W. Shore - 09-25-2014 07:45 PM

The picture is now the wallpaper of my laptop (which I just bought three days ago).

RE: HHC - dramsey - 09-26-2014 03:31 AM

(09-24-2014 04:47 AM)Benoit Maag Wrote:  David Ramsey exhibited a few of his desktop models: the 9100, 9810 and 9820 and showed how they are made inside: UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE !

Especially the 9100: how can a machine made with discrete transistors and diodes be a programmable RPN machine? And fast on top of that: we ran a primality program on his 9100 and on the HP-15C LE. The latter was just 3 times faster... after 40 years of Moore's law!

Fun meeting, Great people... hope you (whoever reads this post) can make it next year

Funny thing about that performance test: I snarked to Tim that it had taken HP 45 years to triple the performance of a calculator. The specific problem was determining whether a date-- 20140331-- is a prime number (this one is).

I keep a prime factorization program on the 9100 which is always there because, you know, CORE MEMORY. It took 59 seconds or so to figure that the only factors were 20140331 and 1, so it's prime. It took the 15CLE about 20 seconds.

Tim sniffed and timed the prime routine built into the HP Prime: 0.096 seconds. So it would be more accurate to say that HP has made a hand held calc that's 614 times faster than a desktop calc.

RE: HHC - Eddie W. Shore - 09-28-2014 01:01 AM

HHC 2014 Conference - To Reno and Back!

http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2014/09/hhc-2014-conference-to-reno-and-back.html

This blog entry will have all the links the YouTube videos of the HHC posted by hpcalc.org.

Eddie

RE: HHC - Dwight Sturrock - 09-28-2014 01:23 AM

Eddie,

Thanks for the great summary!

RE: HHC - aurelio - 09-28-2014 06:58 AM

(09-28-2014 01:23 AM)Dwight Sturrock Wrote:  Eddie,

Thanks for the great summary!

+1 Smile