HP Forums
ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx (/thread-19338.html)

ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx - hpmin48gx - 12-23-2022 06:09 PM

hello good afternoon with the forum I would like to know what advantages or disadvantages has the ramcard that does not have batteries vs one that does have batteries

RE: ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx - Allen - 12-23-2022 07:12 PM

The RAM cards with an internal (rechargeable) battery are much harder to service compared to the ones with a replaceable CR2016 Cell.

I imagine after 30+ years, many of the internal batteries have corroded or failed.

RE: ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx - rprosperi - 12-23-2022 07:12 PM

(12-23-2022 06:09 PM)hpmin48gx Wrote:  hello good afternoon with the forum I would like to know what advantages or disadvantages has the ramcard that does not have batteries vs one that does have batteries

There is exactly one advantage; you can move the card with contents intact to a new 48.

And it's useful here to remind folks that in a 48 RAM card, you must turn the 48 ON and keep it ON while changing the battery; when the calc is off the cards do not get power.

There are also FRAM cards available that require no batteries, and are very nice, but much more expensive.

RE: ramcard with batteries vs ramcard without batteries for hp 48gx - okto - 12-29-2022 04:11 PM

I’m curious about the issue with moving contents to a new calculator. Is there an issue with that normally?