HP Forums
Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Forum Issues and Administration (/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view (/thread-177.html)

Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - walter b - 12-20-2013 11:08 AM

One thing I liked with the old forum is you could post a response to an arbitrary message within a thread. I admit having difficulties doing the same here:

If I select a certain message and select the first quote button, I can write a response to it and it will be properly filed in the thread. :-)

If I then select another message in the same thread and select the first quote button, the second quote button, or "New Reply", I can write a response again BUT the forum software will penetrantly append it to my first post above. >:-(

Anybody knowing how to handle that properly? (BTW, also the smiley conversion tool seems to act a bit erratic - sometimes it will convert although 'Disable' is checked, and sometimes it doesn't although said box is unchecked.)

d:-?

Seems like there's a minimum time interval you have to wait between both posts. No idea how many minutes though. Thanks in advance for enlightenment!

dUndecided

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Thomas Radtke - 12-20-2013 11:42 AM

There's a certain time frame in which subsequent contributions by one user will be concaternated. I don't think we can do anything about that, but Dave could probably just switch it off :-).

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - walter b - 12-20-2013 11:49 AM

(12-20-2013 11:42 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  There's a certain time frame in which subsequent contributions by one user will be concaternated.
Yes, that's certain ;-> Do you have any idea how long it is?

d:-/

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Thomas Radtke - 12-20-2013 11:54 AM

It has been mentioned in one posting, but can't find it.

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Massimo Gnerucci - 12-20-2013 12:22 PM

Don't know if it is the preset time, but I was able to have separated posts after 10 minutes.

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Katie Wasserman - 12-20-2013 05:05 PM

The threaded mode is pretty quirky. The linear mode doesn't have this complication but also doesn't show the the thread nicely. I think that people have mostly been using the quoting mechanism to show what's being responded to.

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - walter b - 12-20-2013 05:25 PM

(12-20-2013 05:05 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  The threaded mode is pretty quirky. The linear mode doesn't have this complication but also doesn't show the the thread nicely. I think that people have mostly been using the quoting mechanism to show what's being responded to.
Not as quirky: Using 'Quote' allows you to respond to the post where you pressed said button. Just avoid using 'New Reply' -- it is evil. I suggest removing this button. If you don't like to repeat the quoted text, simply delete it.

Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?

d:-/

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Dave Hicks - 12-20-2013 09:18 PM

Yeah, I've mentioned in a couple of places that the merging can be turned off if people don't like it. So far no one has said actually said that they don't. (This message brought to you by the New Reply button.)

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Katie Wasserman - 12-20-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?

No, but I read on the MYBB site that it's 24 hours by default. I think that Dave should just turn it off.

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - walter b - 12-20-2013 10:05 PM

(12-20-2013 09:22 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  
Quote:Katie, do you know how large the unknown time interval is (see OP)?
No, but I read on the MYBB site that it's 24 hours by default. I think that Dave should just turn it off.

It's definitively <24h, apparently even <10', but it's annoying IMHO.

:-(

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Dave Hicks - 12-21-2013 12:48 AM

OK, is should be...

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - Dave Hicks - 12-21-2013 12:49 AM

.... disabled now.

It was 15 minutes. The default is 60.

RE: Responding to a particular post in a threaded view - walter b - 12-21-2013 05:41 AM

Thank you, Dave, for this drakonic measure Smile