HP Forums
new article on find the hidden path game - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: new article on find the hidden path game (/thread-1759.html)

new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-01-2014 02:10 AM

If you want to see what a good pathfinder you are, see this article.

Solver equation for HP-17b/19b/27s.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Katie Wasserman - 07-01-2014 03:29 PM

Nice work!

I know how this game works from our earlier discussions, but I'm not so sure that other people do. I think that more people are familiar with the somewhat similarly played game, Black Box, where the player finds the hidden balls in an 8x8 grid.

Can you maybe point people to an online version of this that will demonstrate how it works? Here's one for Black Box.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-01-2014 05:52 PM

(07-01-2014 03:29 PM)Katie Wasserman Wrote:  Nice work!

I know how this game works from our earlier discussions, but I'm not so sure that other people do. I think that more people are familiar with the somewhat similarly played game, Black Box, where the player finds the hidden balls in an 8x8 grid.

Can you maybe point people to an online version of this that will demonstrate how it works? Here's one for Black Box.

Katie, I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I'm not aware of an online version of something similar to this (I'm sure I wasn't the first to think of this approach, however). Perhaps a Youtube video of me playing an actual game would be the best way to demonstrate how it works. I'll work on that and then link to it from the article.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 07-01-2014 06:35 PM

Hi Don,

You mention in your article that you have programmed it in Basic on a PC-2 and HP-71b as well as RPN on a HP-32SII.

Would it be possible for you to expand your article to include the code for the other machines? It would be great to compare the code and run it on multiple machines.

Great Work. You always find interesting applications for the Solver.

Bill

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-01-2014 08:32 PM

(07-01-2014 06:35 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  Hi Don,

You mention in your article that you have programmed it in Basic on a PC-2 and HP-71b as well as RPN on a HP-32SII.

Would it be possible for you to expand your article to include the code for the other machines? It would be great to compare the code and run it on multiple machines.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I'll work on a Youtube video and also include in the article the source code for the other platforms.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - rprosperi - 07-01-2014 10:56 PM

(07-01-2014 08:32 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Yeah, I'll work on a Youtube video and also include in the article the source code for the other platforms.

Both excellent ideas. I'm well into a '71 binge these days so any new 71 code is fun to dabble with. Thanks for the cross-platform education Don (and to think it used to simply be called porting...)

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-02-2014 01:21 PM

(07-01-2014 08:32 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 06:35 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  Hi Don,

Bill

Thanks Bill. Yeah, I'll work on a Youtube video and also include in the article the source code for the other platforms.

Bill, I added attachments in the article for PC-2, 71b, and 32sii versions, including source code. Will work on a Youtube video next.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - CosmicTruth - 07-04-2014 01:20 AM

I wish I was better at porting code to 50G this would be great to see on 48 49 or 50 with a graphic approach to the game.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-04-2014 01:34 AM

(07-04-2014 01:20 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  I wish I was better at porting code to 50G this would be great to see on 48 49 or 50 with a graphic approach to the game.

Yeah, I agree, a graphic approach to this game would be ideal. You wouldn't need to write anything down, and you could use colors to highlight the path points found thus far. Such is not possible on the platforms I chose, however. Oh, the 71b can do graphics (I think), but with a one line display I don't think it would work well.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Thomas Klemm - 07-05-2014 06:59 PM

For those using Emu42 with an HP17BII.ROM I've added a session file. Open it in the file menu when you are too lazy to enter the equation.

Cheers
Thomas

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-05-2014 09:42 PM

(07-05-2014 06:59 PM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  For those using Emu42 with an HP17BII.ROM I've added a session file. Open it in the file menu when you are too lazy to enter the equation.

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks Thomas. It is a rather long equation.

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Thomas Klemm - 07-06-2014 01:03 AM

(07-05-2014 09:42 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  It is a rather long equation.

Please be assured that I have not entered that manually: I've used Christoph's utilities to create a keyboard macro file. Now I hope this makes it easier for others to play that game.

Kind regards
Thomas

RE: new article on find the hidden path game - Don Shepherd - 07-21-2014 12:10 AM

I've decided not to do a Youtube video of playing this game. If anyone would like more detailed information for playing the game, please contact me via this forum.