HP Forums
Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 (/thread-17397.html)

Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - Claudio L. - 08-26-2021 08:55 PM

newRPL for Prime G1 was just released, with an ugly black and white color scheme.

But, a color theming engine was included in the release, together with 4 sample color themes.

This contest is to select the best color scheme to set as the new default for newRPL.

How to participate (no need for an actual HP Prime!):

* Download and install newRPL Desktop on a PC
* Use the menus to get to the theme editor and change colors.
* Use the Apply button to test how it looks on the simulated screen.
* Use the Save button to save a newRPL object that can be installed on any newRPL calc.
* Attach the file to a post in this thread (you'll need to rename the file and add a .txt extension, since .nrpl files aren't allowed as attachments on this forum).

To view a color theme done by others:
* Get to the Theme Editor on the PC
* Select Open and point it to the file you just downloaded from this thread.
* Press Apply to see it in action

To install it on a physical HP Prime:
* Use newRPL Desktop and use the Stack menu to open a file and place it on level 1 of the stack.
* Point it to the color theme file saved by the Theme Editor (a list with hex numbers (colors) will show up on the stack)
* [Optional] To install it to the simulated screen, just press Enter to DUP it and type SETTHEME.
* Connect your HP Prime, connect through the USB port (see the Wiki if in doubt). Once connected get to next step.
* Type USBSEND on the PC to send the list to the calc.
* On the calc type SETTHEME.

We will collect color themes until 9/30/2021. Then if the winner isn't clear, there will be a poll to vote on your favorite.

The winner of the contest will win a thank you post on this forum!! and the pride of seeing his/her creation on every newRPL Prime machine out there.

Attached to this post are the 4 examples that come with newRPL Desktop. Use them as inspiration or completely ignore.

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - BINUBALL - 08-27-2021 01:01 PM

It looks very interesting challenge for me. My current progress of making simple, white color theme…
[attachment=9759]
Theme file not attached yet. Smile

Off-Topic) This thread will be my 100th thread!

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - Claudio L. - 08-27-2021 01:38 PM

(08-27-2021 01:01 PM)BINUBALL Wrote:  It looks very interesting challenge for me. My current progress of making simple, white color theme…

Looks nice.
One thing I didn't mention before: please make sure you set every color, like inverted menus, help color and background, etc.
To test inverted menus you can set/clear flags -15 and -16 for menu1 and 2 respectively.

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - BINUBALL - 08-28-2021 03:16 AM

(08-27-2021 01:38 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(08-27-2021 01:01 PM)BINUBALL Wrote:  It looks very interesting challenge for me. My current progress of making simple, white color theme…

Looks nice.
One thing I didn't mention before: please make sure you set every color, like inverted menus, help color and background, etc.
To test inverted menus you can set/clear flags -15 and -16 for menu1 and 2 respectively.

What exactly inverted menus do?

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - Claudio L. - 08-30-2021 12:29 AM

(08-28-2021 03:16 AM)BINUBALL Wrote:  What exactly inverted menus do?

Just look different! I like to keep my directories inverted and my commands normal, so I know which ones are my variables. It's inverted on the 50g (white menus), on the Prime of course we are free to make them any color.

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - JoJo1973 - 09-04-2021 06:31 PM

Hi Claudio,

this contest is what I needed to return to activity on the forum... Lately I've also purchased a second hand G1 Prime just to test NewRPL on the real thing! (I must admit I'm impressed by it... It's a nice thing that it can dual boot NewRPL and original OS!)

To pay tribute to HP long standing rivals I was inspired by TI's greatest achievement in computer technology: the TI99/4A Home Computer, so here's a sneak preview of the TI Prime!

[attachment=9781]

The theme doesn't include all TI9918/A video chip colors but tries to recreate the look & feel of the venerable machine.

Some observations:

1) Palette entry #23 (Stack: Selected items text) is not implemented
2) Neither are entries #40 and #41 (Action on pressed menus)
3) Since forms are not implemented it's a bit difficult to judge how the colors match: could the empty app screen be replaced by a crude mock-up just for the show?
4) The error messages share the same area (and therefore the same colors) of the help area: wouldn't it be better to allow different colors?
5) A GETTHEME command? BTW the 4 example themes are very nice: Claudio, will you hard-code them in newRPL as you did with the fonts?

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - erazor - 09-04-2021 07:38 PM

(09-04-2021 06:31 PM)JoJo1973 Wrote:  To pay tribute to HP long standing rivals I was inspired by TI's greatest achievement in computer technology: the TI99/4A Home Computer, so here's a sneak preview of the TI Prime!
And I thought that's a Super Mario theme...

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - JoJo1973 - 09-04-2021 09:43 PM

No point having all those colours if you don't use them ???

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - BINUBALL - 09-22-2021 01:50 AM

theme file attached. but it is not finished design.

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - BINUBALL - 10-06-2021 10:59 AM

I wonder whether or not this contest is over. Smile

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - Claudio L. - 10-06-2021 06:49 PM

(10-06-2021 10:59 AM)BINUBALL Wrote:  I wonder whether or not this contest is over. Smile

Yes, but with only 2 entries there isn't much choice. One is very colorful, the other one very white.

I guess you are the winner with the white theme. Doesn't exactly show the advantages of having a full color screen, but visually it's more subtle and appealing. I'll change the default to your theme for the next official build.

Congrats!!

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - JoJo1973 - 10-06-2021 08:41 PM

BINUBALL, congratulations for the victory!

Unfortunately I can't contribute to the great sequence of italian victories in 2021, anyway a silver medal is a silver medal!

I release for the posterity my champion...

Happy calculations!

RE: Contest - color themes for newRPL - Prime G1 - BINUBALL - 10-07-2021 01:29 PM

Thank you for all.
Will there be any credits for this? I wonder.