HP Forums
Third party HP 82240B compatible printer - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Third party HP 82240B compatible printer (/thread-16908.html)

Third party HP 82240B compatible printer - Siegfried - 05-09-2021 09:01 PM

A German company called Gebe sells a thermal printer compatible with the HP 82240B.

Has anyone ever have experience with such a printer?

As they only seem to sell in lots of 10, would there be anyone interested in buying one as group buy?

What would be a reasonable price?

RE: Third party HP 82240B compatible printer - Maximilian Hohmann - 05-10-2021 09:16 AM

Hello!

(05-09-2021 09:01 PM)Siegfried Wrote:  What would be a reasonable price?

There is a seller on german eBay who offers pre-owned printers of that type ("more than 10 available") at a fixed price of 89 Euros. I guess this sets the lower end of the price range. On the other hand there seem to be some IRDA Printers from "Testo" which are compatible with the HP unit. The prices for these are between 200 and 300 Euros (new) which would be the upper limit.

Personally I think these prices, even 89 Euros, are crazy for such a piece of junk. Bluetooth printers of that size are sold on Aliexpress for 20 Euros and this is what they are worth.
Who wants to print on 58mm strips of thermal paper anyway. Not even out tax office accepts them any more (because they will have faded before they can be processed...) and you need to supply photocopies or scans instead.

If I would require a printer for my calculators to really print and not just for the sake of collecting, as in my case, I would bulid Martin Hepperle's Arduino-Based IR interface (http://www.mh-aerotools.de/hp/red-eye/HP-IR%20Receiver%20with%20Arduino.pdf or alternatively this one here: https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-14884.html).
You can then print on any printer and by adding a bluetooth module which costs around one Euro and some extra lines of code, one of those cheap chinese units could be used as well.

Regards
Max

RE: Third party HP 82240B compatible printer - Martin Hepperle - 05-10-2021 10:46 AM

With the Testo printers you have to be careful.

Initially they were using the HP protocol and sold the original HP printers at a higher price, but later they changed the protocol to avoid that people bought the cheaper HP printer.
AFAIK this includes some internal modification of the HP hardware.

I can imagine, that another forum member could give more details about when this change occured and which printers are compatible with HP calculators.

PS: the Arduino IR-receiver works very well with Chrisoph Gießelink's printer simulator, which allows storing or copying "printouts" on your PC. This may be more useful than actually printing to a strip printer. I copy the "program listing" to a Word document, add some comments, graphs etc. and then file it for later.

Martin

RE: Third party HP 82240B compatible printer - Massimo Gnerucci - 05-10-2021 11:57 AM

(05-10-2021 10:46 AM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  With the Testo printers you have to be careful.

Initially they were using the HP protocol and sold the original HP printers at a higher price, but later they changed the protocol to avoid that people bought the cheaper HP printer.
AFAIK this includes some internal modification of the HP hardware.

I can imagine, that another forum member could give more details about when this change occured and which printers are compatible with HP calculators.

PS: the Arduino IR-receiver works very well with Chrisoph Gießelink's printer simulator, which allows storing or copying "printouts" on your PC. This may be more useful than actually printing to a strip printer. I copy the "program listing" to a Word document, add some comments, graphs etc. and then file it for later.

Martin

Waitin'... ;)