HP Forums
What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? (/thread-16191.html)

What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? - Dave Britten - 01-17-2021 06:16 PM

I was looking through assorted programs last night and came across this Yahtzee adaptation for the 41/42, complete with automated scoring:

http://www.rskey.org/gene/hpgene/yz.htm

It got me wondering, what other keystroke programmables are up to this task? Given the length of the program, I doubt the 67/97 could handle it - at least not on a single card, and I don't know that it's a game that could be done elegantly on multiple cards.

The TI-59, on the other hand, seems like it might have enough memory for Yahtzee, and I'm certain the TI-95 would. (8 kilobytes!)

Maybe the DM15L running the firmware with expanded memory? It's got something like 232 registers, which is about 3.5 times as much as a typical 15C. And I'll bet most of the various HP desktop calculators could as well.

RE: What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? - ttw - 01-17-2021 06:59 PM

The HP50g does easily. I put my own (6-dice, 36-throw) game on. Unfortunately, there was a memory reset and I haven't put it back. (I want to make a few minor modifications.)

RE: What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? - Gene - 01-17-2021 08:17 PM

The best listing for the game of yahtzee is no longer at that URL but the one that's in the FUNSTUFF rom for the HP-41CL and DM-41X and the V41 emulators.

Corrected a bug in the small straight scoring. PDF attached.

(Edited to correct DM-41CX typo)

RE: What keystroke-programmables can handle a fully self-scoring game of Yahtzee? - Dave Britten - 01-17-2021 08:34 PM

(01-17-2021 06:59 PM)ttw Wrote:  The HP50g does easily. I put my own (6-dice, 36-throw) game on. Unfortunately, there was a memory reset and I haven't put it back. (I want to make a few minor modifications.)

Yeah, any of the RPL machines - barring the 28C with its laughable amount of memory - should be able to handle Yahtzee easily. I'm not quite sure I would consider them keystroke programmable, since RPL is more of a high-level structured language, but it comes close.

(01-17-2021 08:17 PM)Gene Wrote:  The best listing for the game of yahtzee is no longer at that URL but the one that's in the FUNSTUFF rom for the HP-41CL and DM-41CX and the V41 emulators.

Corrected a bug in the small straight scoring. PDF attached.

Nice, I'll have to see if I have that ROM on my 41X already. That'll save me the trouble of typing in the version on your site. Wink