HP Forums
Completely turning off HP Prime - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Completely turning off HP Prime (/thread-15867.html)

Completely turning off HP Prime - grizzly - 11-09-2020 03:14 AM

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how do I turn off HP Prime G2? I mean, turning it off completely, not in standby mode with Shift+On (Shift+Off).

The issue is, that I use it extensively for a week and then have a break for 1-2 months. During that time the calculator discharges itself and I have to charge it. This seems to damage the battery in the long term considerably, because it's often sitting in my shelf at 0% charge and then I charge it to 100% when I notice.

I checked the manuals, official pages, but to no avail.

Is there a way to turn the calculator off completely, similar to turning off your phone?

Thanks.

RE: Completely turning off HP Prime - Joe Horn - 11-10-2020 01:35 AM

Yes. What you want is called "Coma Mode" (different from "comma mode"). It puts your Prime into such a deep sleep that it's in a virtual coma, using almost no power at all. The batteries last much longer in coma mode than in normal off mode.

The easiest way to go into coma mode is:
(1) Press and keep holding down the Shift key.
(2) Press and hold down the On key for at least one second (very important!).
(3) Release both keys.

To exit coma mode, simply press On and wait a few seconds. The delay might scare you... it always makes me fear that the Prime has crashed... but it's normal. Just be patient, and it'll power up.

RE: Completely turning off HP Prime - Steve Simpkin - 11-10-2020 02:24 AM

(11-10-2020 01:35 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Yes. What you want is called "Coma Mode" (different from "comma mode"). It puts your Prime into such a deep sleep that it's in a virtual coma, using almost no power at all. The batteries last much longer in coma mode than in normal off mode.

The easiest way to go into coma mode is:
(1) Press and keep holding down the Shift key.
(2) Press and hold down the On key for at least one second (very important!).
(3) Release both keys.

To exit coma mode, simply press On and wait a few seconds. The delay might scare you... it always makes me fear that the Prime has crashed... but it's normal. Just be patient, and it'll power up.
You know Joe, it is kind of scary how you know all of this information seemingly off of the top of your headSmile

RE: Completely turning off HP Prime - Dirk.nl - 11-10-2020 06:32 AM

After some time (one or two days?) The G2 automatically switches to Coma Mode.

RE: Completely turning off HP Prime - grizzly - 11-10-2020 07:06 AM

@Joe Horn: Thanks, it seems to behave exactly as you described!

The fun thing is, that I have intuitively done this many times, but was waiting for some confirmation message on exit on or boot, and I haven't noticed the difference in boot time because it's very subtle (~1 sec compared to ~3 seconds).

RE: Completely turning off HP Prime - springer5 - 10-23-2023 09:09 AM

I know this is an old thread but just in case it's of interest to anyone browsing through....

According to this review...

https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15835&start=0

... the Prime will also switch itself into Coma mode automatically 3 days after a normal switch off.