HP Forums
supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App (/thread-15395.html)

supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - madstamm - 07-29-2020 07:40 PM

Dear RPN/HP fans:

App Store: https://apps.apple.com/ch/app/fr-shtouch-calculator/id1514004478?l=en

I made an app tailored for my own needs, called "fr!shTouch", which you may also like:
- buttons flick up and down for 2nd/3rd functions
- buttons slide left/right > allows choosing operands freely from stack
- dedicated memory buttons for max STO/RCL speed
- built in periodic table > copy elemental data directly to stack
- dark/light mode > set freely or acc'd to iOS setting

No programming, no matrices, no imaginary numbers (for now) - trimmed for everyday quick calcs and SPEED.

would love to share my joy with you (I love using it) - so why not spend half a small Frappuccino and splurge? Smile
if you buy and have feedback - please post it here. would love to be able to continue development and any input is much appreciated.

[Image: 50166841588_acb187fca0_h.jpg][Image: 50167377466_3482ac60be_h.jpg]

[Image: 50166826648_29cbf13073_h.jpg]

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - CFA Newbie - 08-09-2020 04:25 PM

Really looks great. One tip - if you want to get more downloads, consider paying for Apple Ads - if you set the cost per download (via ad) to less than the cost of your app, you will end up with some profit out of it.

Always great to see innovative products. Did you do this in Swift or SwiftUI?

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - madstamm - 08-12-2020 05:41 AM

Hi Ashok, thanks for the reply and suggestion with google ads! that's a good idea, I will give it a go for sure. I used Swift, as I wanted the app to be compatible with IOS12 - and I think SwiftUI needs IOS13.

by the way, I downloaded your own RPN app, "RPN 30" - great app Smile looks like we both considered RPN to be suitable in combination with the touchscreen. I really think its a fabulous combination!

Do you find the buttons and stack in my app to be intuitive? anything you could recommend to improve the app?

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - mpark - 08-13-2020 06:07 AM

Could you post a slower video with narration? I've watched your video several times and I cannot understand what's happening.

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - madstamm - 08-13-2020 06:54 AM

Hi MPark,

Thanks for pointing that the video is hard to follow, much appreciated.

Here is a video i made during the beta phase. Looks to me like i need to make some new one's - but i hope they will make things more clear.

if you get a chance to watch, please let me know what you think?

Best,

Mike

Introduction and features:

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - CFA Newbie - 08-13-2020 09:55 AM

(08-12-2020 05:41 AM)madstamm Wrote:  Hi Ashok, thanks for the reply and suggestion with google ads! that's a good idea, I will give it a go for sure. I used Swift, as I wanted the app to be compatible with IOS12 - and I think SwiftUI needs IOS13.

by the way, I downloaded your own RPN app, "RPN 30" - great app Smile looks like we both considered RPN to be suitable in combination with the touchscreen. I really think its a fabulous combination!

Do you find the buttons and stack in my app to be intuitive? anything you could recommend to improve the app?

Thanks for your kind words and also for leaving a rating on my app.

I think its pretty intuitive as far as the buttons go and the up/down, left/right gestures.

It appears the app is well suited towards people who work extensively with the stack register, i.e. relatively complex computations vs doing basic arithmetic. I say this as you have dedicated over 50% of the screen to the registers. With this in mind, you can consider strengthening your app’s strong point by adding features that take advantage of this approach. For example, do you have a function that lets you progressively reverse prior operations? Although this can largely be achieved by editing / deleting values from the stack register, since some operations are destructive in terms of removing values from the register once the computation is done, I think it would be really nifty to have an unlimited “reversal” button.

Also I’m assuming you have added in various advanced functions eg financial (npv irr bond pricing etc) and scientific that utilise multiple registers. How about matrix multiplication and calculation of inverses? At least to 4x4 or 5x5

I’d also recommend you porting your app to ipad and Mac OS as with its increased complexity vs normal rpn calculators on iphone, you have a niche market for more advanced computations that are more readily done on a bigger screen.

These are all just thoughts as you asked for suggestions, overall I think you have done a great job, as a fellow developer, I know what you have done is not easy and I really like the visual design, particularly the screenshots on the app store.

I’ve more or less retired from app development and rpn, but you can contact me at ashok dot khanna @ hotmail dot com if you need to bounce any thoughts passed me.

The video you linked above is nicely done.

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - mpark - 08-13-2020 03:44 PM

(08-13-2020 06:54 AM)madstamm Wrote:  Here is a video i made during the beta phase...

Thanks! That video helped me a lot.

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - jjohnson873 - 08-13-2020 06:53 PM

Nice app. Will you put in base number conversions? 2, 8, 10, 16, etc.?

RE: supercharged buttons&stack: new iOS App - madstamm - 08-14-2020 06:07 AM

Hi jjohnson,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Binary, Octal, Hex Numbers: yes this is in of course possible.

Are you interested in conversions (limited to display) only or also doing math with them?

Reason for asking: if you start working with especially binary or hex, one would probably want an optimized keypad. that could be done of course... hm.

Mike