HP Forums
OS-upgrade via data cable? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: OS-upgrade via data cable? (/thread-15176.html)

OS-upgrade via data cable? - StephanP - 06-11-2020 10:48 AM

Is it possible to transfer an OS upgrade from one device to another using the data cable?

My search through the user manual did not give any results and also a brief experiment with two G2 devices did not give any hint towards this functionality.

Maybe it says something about my students or about me as their teacher, but in my experience, it is virtually impossible to get all students to upgrading their calculator themselves using a connectivity kit on their PC/laptop.
The option to transfer the OS-upgrade via the data cable allows me to upgade all my students' devices quickly and easily.

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - toml_12953 - 06-11-2020 01:50 PM

(06-11-2020 10:48 AM)StephanP Wrote:  Is it possible to transfer an OS upgrade from one device to another using the data cable?

My search through the user manual did not give any results and also a brief experiment with two G2 devices did not give any hint towards this functionality.

Maybe it says something about my students or about me as their teacher, but in my experience, it is virtually impossible to get all students to upgrading their calculator themselves using a connectivity kit on their PC/laptop.
The option to transfer the OS-upgrade via the data cable allows me to upgade all my students' devices quickly and easily.

If you can get the HP Wireless Kit, all students can be automatically connected to the class network (not WiFi compatible) and can be upgraded simultaneously.

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - StephanP - 06-13-2020 07:08 AM

I assume this is an implicit No

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - toml_12953 - 06-13-2020 07:47 AM

(06-13-2020 07:08 AM)StephanP Wrote:  I assume this is an implicit No

It's at least a definite probably not. Wink

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - cyrille de brébisson - 06-15-2020 05:32 AM

Hello,

No, you can not.

On G1, since the OS is not in our control (Kinpo does), and since G1 OS does not have the host drivers needed, G1 can not update G1.

Prime G2, could be made to update another prime G2 however. My estimation was, at the time, that it would be a 3 weeks task or so... But we never ended up spending the time to do it.

Cyrille

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - StephanP - 06-15-2020 06:23 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.
So, the easiest way now to push my students into upgrading their machine is to connect them to the connectivity kit on my laptop. That'll work as well.

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - cyrille de brébisson - 06-16-2020 05:53 AM

Hello,

Over the air update can work... but honestly, I do not advise it as it is not fast...
The con kit is however able to update multiple calcs at the same time, so if you have 2 or 3 USB cables, you can speed up update.
You should be able to identify old FW calcs through the con kit, but it might take some time (right click on calcs and so on)...

If I had to do it, I would ask the student to go in help/tree/about/enter and check the version. Then I would have all the ones with old versions queing in front of your computer with a number of cables attached.
Attach each calculator in turn, and press ON+Symb, release ON, but hold symb. This will drop the calc in update mode in the fastest possible way. Once the calc has completed, unplug it and move to the next one. This should allow you to update around 4 calcs a minute. With 30 students, it should take less than 10minutes.

This is basically how it is done at the factory...
Cyrille

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - Hlib - 06-16-2020 05:55 PM

I`m a little surprised that neither CASIO nor HP have yet made the process of transferring OS from one calculator to another as simple as TI done 20 years ago.
I`ve had a case where it came in very handy. One of my TI-83+ from the first release had old hardware but with the latest OS version (1.17) installed on it. I also had a TI-83+SE with the newest hardware and circuitry, produced in 2003. I damaged the firmware with my wrong actions in this TI-83+SE, and the device permanently gave out any garbage on the display. Using a simple procedure from the official instructions, I switched TI-83+SE to the OS ERROR mode and successfully updated the firmware using the old TI-83+ and 3-pin cable.
Undoubtedly, the most convenient way to update the OS was in the HP-50G using an SD card. We are bit missing the support for SD and external storage devices in HP-Prime.

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - Eric Rechlin - 06-16-2020 09:29 PM

(06-16-2020 05:55 PM)Hlib Wrote:  I`m a little surprised that neither CASIO nor HP have yet made the process of transferring OS from one calculator to another as simple as TI done 20 years ago.

HP did this 20 years ago, too, with the 49G. But there's probably less of a need now, with all calculators coming with a PC link cable from the factory (when the 49G was first released, I believe it only had a calculator-to-calculator cable, though a 9-pin serial adapter was added in one of the later revisions of the packaging, but I would have to double-check that). So I can see not wanting to waste 3 weeks of engineering time for something that would see such limited benefit anymore.

RE: OS-upgrade via data cable? - cyrille de brébisson - 06-17-2020 05:44 AM

hello,

Yep, and I programmed that one 20 years ago :-) I actually forgot about it until you reminded me!

As you said, since most people use their computer to recharge their calculators, update is made a whole lot easier now than it was 20 years ago...

Cyrille